What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue May 31, 2016 3:51 am

Valvatorez wrote:So from reading this, the game seems interesting, but I'm not familiar with Warhammer at all and only played very little of Shogun 2 (less than an hour) but always wanted to try to get into the Total War series, do you think this would be a good place to start or should I check out some of the older games, or even back to Shogun?

I've been playing through Final Fantasy X/X-2 lately, and it really reminds me how much I miss some of these older rpg games.

I have the FFX/X-2 remake, and have barely touched X-2, even though I never actually played it before I got this. Also wanted to do all the Penance/Dark Aeon stuff since it wasn't in the original American version, but I just don't have the time to grind it all, I guess. :?

I haven't played every game in the Total War series (experienced with Medieval 1, Rome 1, Medieval 2, Shogun 2), and it's hard for me to say what we be best for someone relatively new, since I'm so comfortable with it now, regardless of place. I might suggest just going with whatever era holds the most interest for you. If Sengoku Japan or Medieval Europe grab your fancy, probably go with one of those. I would trust others' opinions on Warhammer, I haven't played it at all.

If you eventually go with Rome 1 (if you don't go for 2 for whatever reason; I never did), or Medieval 2, I must recommend a pair of mods - DarthMod for Rome, and Stainless Steel for Medieval. Both introduce more balance, expanded campaign options, and a more historical experience than the vanilla game.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue May 31, 2016 4:27 am

Bush Leagues wrote:
I have the FFX/X-2 remake, and have barely touched X-2, even though I never actually played it before I got this. Also wanted to do all the Penance/Dark Aeon stuff since it wasn't in the original American version, but I just don't have the time to grind it all, I guess. :?

I bought it for ps3 like a year and a half ago, played it a little bit and it sat on my shelf for a while, then I started playing it again a few weeks ago for the same reason, for Penance and Dark Aeons, since I played the original game way back when it just came out and missed out on that stuff too. It does take quite a while to make your team strong enough for Penance. I found a pretty good Youtube video on how to get the setup for him with the gear and everything, and maxed out all stats except Luck, then had to go around actually building the equipment which added a couple of hours, then the fight itself lasts almost an hour too lol, so yeah it definitely takes some time, the actual fight though was pretty easy though with the above setup, except I messed up twice and someone got killed which messed up my whole routine and got wiped out and had to start the battle over again -_- But I did end up winning which is nice.
X-2, I like the battle system, not the story, and the creature battles and capturing them is kinda fun too, but I'm still only in the first chapter since X took all my time. But I played that too years ago when it just came out, its not too bad if you can make it through to the end.
Bush Leagues wrote:I haven't played every game in the Total War series (experienced with Medieval 1, Rome 1, Medieval 2, Shogun 2), and it's hard for me to say what we be best for someone relatively new, since I'm so comfortable with it now, regardless of place. I might suggest just going with whatever era holds the most interest for you. If Sengoku Japan or Medieval Europe grab your fancy, probably go with one of those. I would trust others' opinions on Warhammer, I haven't played it at all.

If you eventually go with Rome 1 (if you don't go for 2 for whatever reason; I never did), or Medieval 2, I must recommend a pair of mods - DarthMod for Rome, and Stainless Steel for Medieval. Both introduce more balance, expanded campaign options, and a more historical experience than the vanilla game.

Hmm, thanks for letting me know, the Sengoku era definitely is the one I'm most interested in, and know most about, but I would be up for any of them if the gameplay is ok, I wish there was one for 3 kingdoms though. And thanks for mentioning the mods, I will look them up too if I try those games, since those all sound interesting, I just don't know where to begin :lol:
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue May 31, 2016 8:25 am

Gray Riders wrote:Apparently, Warhammer is the fastest selling Total War to date. Slightly amusing some people were saying it woud bomb since doing a non-historical game would kill all interest in the series. Especially since frankly, Warhammer is only slightly less historically accurate than most of the Total War games have been, and is arguably more accurate than the original Rome was.

I think going for fantasy was a gamble but one they had to take and a calculated one. How many times could they go Europe-Rome-Japan before people got bored? Warhammer was a good fit given it is a strategy table-top game and fantasy has allowed them to freshen the game up, all sorts of new units, magic, generals not ageing out so you can do quests. Quite a few reviews had things like "I build a strong defensive line but flying units disrupted my plans" where experienced reviewers were loving the way new things like flying units, giants and so on changed the way they planned.

It as going to grab most Total War fans, some Warhammer fans and a fair few fantasy fans if it got good reviews.

They're supposed to be stand-alone expansions rather than sequels, with the map growing if you have more of them. I kind of wonder how the bigger map will handle the heavy chaos focus the campaign has--will the elves across the sea really care about Archaon's march when he'll almost certainly burn out before he reaches them?

Also the Empire might become a huge pain when they have Beastmen and Skaven skulking around in them, and general opinion seems to be they're already the hardest campaign.

I'm hoping we get the Skaven soon. They were a big part of my introduction to Warhammer (the old video game "Shadow OF the Horned Rat"). There seems to be enough references to them that I expect they'll be one of the first DLC races, possibly from a campaign pack focusing on the three-way for Karak Eight Peaks.

I was wondering how they sequels would work.

I played a bit of Warhammer in my youth (one video game, some tabletop but hated the painting) and I did remember Skaven, have seen those listed in a lot of people's want lists. I'm hoping for female legendary lords at some point

Valvatorez wrote:So from reading this, the game seems interesting, but I'm not familiar with Warhammer at all and only played very little of Shogun 2 (less than an hour) but always wanted to try to get into the Total War series, do you think this would be a good place to start or should I check out some of the older games, or even back to Shogun?

I've been playing through Final Fantasy X/X-2 lately, and it really reminds me how much I miss some of these older rpg games.

I agree with Bush, pick the era (you don't need to be a Warhammer fan for Warhammer but probably need to be want to a play a fantasy strategy game) you want to play in and go for that.

FFX was my first FF game, I really enjoyed that. X-2 not so much
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Tue May 31, 2016 9:00 am

Valvatorez wrote:Hmm, thanks for letting me know, the Sengoku era definitely is the one I'm most interested in, and know most about, but I would be up for any of them if the gameplay is ok,

Then I would certainly recommend Shogun 2, though I haven't played Warhammer and Medieval 1, it my all time favorite total war game and got me very interested in Japan. The gameplay of Shogun 2 is in my opinion best, but that is very personal.

Valvatorez wrote: I wish there was one for 3 kingdoms though. And thanks for mentioning the mods, I will look them up too if I try those games, since those all sound interesting, I just don't know where to begin :lol:

There is however a pretty good 3K mod, Rise of Three Kingdoms. Though it is for Medieval 2, a 10 year old game, so it might be better to start off with a newer total war.
Jia Shengde
Initiate

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue May 31, 2016 10:32 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will go back and try Shogun 2, and then try Warhammer, since the fantasy stuff does seem pretty neat. And that 3k mod also seems quite interesting too, so I may look for that as well in the future.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue May 31, 2016 7:01 pm

Medieval 2 has a bunch of really stupid problems people tend to not mention when talking about it now, but certainly did at the time.
Some of them:
*Units with pikes are useless without being constantly micromanaged because they drop them to whip out their terrible swords at the drop of a hat.
*Halberds are pretty glitchy, too.
*Crossbow units on walls often go through their shooting motions but don't actually fire. They also have to go entirely through their reloading animation before they can start mvoing so they run down very easily.
*General's don't upgrade their bodyguard units even though they were clearly supposed to (like in Med 1).
*The games timeline is borked thanks to copying the Rome engine. Each turn represents 2 years, but characters age one 1 year every 2 turns.
*The system that triggers traits is stupid and often gives ludicrous traits. Infamously, one of the most common triggers for the "Battle Dread" traits are checked before "Battle Chivalry" but have the same trigger, meaning it's random but you'll usually get "Battle Dread".
*The whole diplomatic system may well be glitched:
http://t-a-w.blogspot.ca/2009/11/why-ev ... val-2.html

Rome 1 has a similar thing where a lot of people hated a lot about it, but now it's considered a classic and highpoint.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue May 31, 2016 8:10 pm

Are there mods or anything to fix any of those?
Also something I forgot to ask, are all the games kinda balanced as far as challenge goes? I'd like to play something that is challenging, but not literally impossible. I tend to like large scale battles and micromanagement of most things too, but not sure if you can do that in these.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Valvatorez wrote:Are there mods or anything to fix any of those?

The pike and halberds are fixed in a lot of mods by removing their secondary weapons. I think the previously mentioned Stainless Steel does, but truth be told I wasn't too fond of it so I didn't play it long.

Crossbows and general bodyguards upgrades, as far as I know, have never been fixed. They're engine limitations, I believe.

Some mods do fix the timeline issue; mods can change the trait triggers but often don't. I believe a small number changed the diplomacy/reputation thing, but a lot left it in because some either don't think it's a glitch, like it because it makes the game harder, or simply don't know about it.

Also something I forgot to ask, are all the games kinda balanced as far as challenge goes? I'd like to play something that is challenging, but not literally impossible. I tend to like large scale battles and micromanagement of most things too, but not sure if you can do that in these.

The difficulty varies pretty heavily between games. Warhammer is much harder than the original Rome.

Large scale battles are basically Total War's mainstay. You could control 16 units which each have dozens or more men in battle in Shogun or Medieval, 20 units in later games with generally more troops per unit. Starting with Shogun 2 you can control 40 units in battle, though individual armies still have 20--you need several armies nearby on the campaign to get these huge battles, but you can set them up easily in custom battle.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Tue May 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Medieval 2 has a bunch of really stupid problems people tend to not mention when talking about it now, but certainly did at the time.
Some of them:
*Units with pikes are useless without being constantly micromanaged because they drop them to whip out their terrible swords at the drop of a hat.
*Halberds are pretty glitchy, too.
*Crossbow units on walls often go through their shooting motions but don't actually fire. They also have to go entirely through their reloading animation before they can start mvoing so they run down very easily.
*General's don't upgrade their bodyguard units even though they were clearly supposed to (like in Med 1).
*The games timeline is borked thanks to copying the Rome engine. Each turn represents 2 years, but characters age one 1 year every 2 turns.
*The system that triggers traits is stupid and often gives ludicrous traits. Infamously, one of the most common triggers for the "Battle Dread" traits are checked before "Battle Chivalry" but have the same trigger, meaning it's random but you'll usually get "Battle Dread".
*The whole diplomatic system may well be glitched:
http://t-a-w.blogspot.ca/2009/11/why-ev ... val-2.html

Rome 1 has a similar thing where a lot of people hated a lot about it, but now it's considered a classic and highpoint.

Valvatorez wrote:Are there mods or anything to fix any of those?

The last time I played the vanilla Medieval 2 was more than 5 years ago, so I can;t compare it very well with mods, but I think the RoTK mod addresses most of those problems quite well. There are no halberds or pikes so those can't be a problem :lol:. There are 12 turns a year (a bit much in my opinion). And as for traits, there is a pretty good system for general traits. (http://prntscr.com/bar6n9) Unfortunatly, the mod comes with some problems of itself, like lack in variety of units, occasional crashes, and stuff like this. : http://prntscr.com/bar92y. About the rest of the complaints I am not sure whether those are solved.

About challenge in Shogun 2, which I know best, I would recommend the hard difficulty. Unfortunately after normal or hard difficulty the way it gets harder is that a lot of factions declare war on you. At very hard for example you are never at peace, factions declare war at you even if it would ruin them. Not entirely sure about other total war games but I think it is similar
Jia Shengde
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:49 am

Bush, Gray, what do you think of this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =691664240
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven