What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Ayame » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 am

I'm playing Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon. Exploring different areas of the Alola region.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
The sequel is also quite good, honestly it is more of the same but with a few new special infected, and the ability to use melee weapons. Once thing I really like is that you can play the first game's campaigns with the second's games features.

I am also terrible, the AI constantly has better accuracy and kills then me :lol:

Done first two camapigns of Left4Dead 2 for an afternoon and my impressions is pretty much "more of the same" with tweaks. Which is good, got a formula that works, why change it all up? Had to adjust to new style of spitters, sword has replaced pistol as my back up (and situational) weapon, not really got a sense of new ammo, I like the better sense of characters (I'm playing coach), still got the sense of humour, system works well, more setplays which are fun and tense. My quibbles would be 1) the opening poster and end credits lack a bit of oomph for some reason, 2) the amount of fuel one has to gather for some setplays is just a tad too long.

Finished it, found in the last few camapigns I mostly used a melee weapon like katana or swords to cut way through with guns as secondary or tank weapon. We had fun, our own little tales due to events in game (poor Nick), bits of humour, great setplays (fuel issue seemed fixed) that gave tense desperation (the rollercoaster one particularly) with the "rush through" more fun then the "hang on for five or so minutes". Would get any sequel that comes out, provided co-op fun for my sister and I for which I'm grateful
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
The sequel is also quite good, honestly it is more of the same but with a few new special infected, and the ability to use melee weapons. Once thing I really like is that you can play the first game's campaigns with the second's games features.

I am also terrible, the AI constantly has better accuracy and kills then me :lol:

Done first two camapigns of Left4Dead 2 for an afternoon and my impressions is pretty much "more of the same" with tweaks. Which is good, got a formula that works, why change it all up? Had to adjust to new style of spitters, sword has replaced pistol as my back up (and situational) weapon, not really got a sense of new ammo, I like the better sense of characters (I'm playing coach), still got the sense of humour, system works well, more setplays which are fun and tense. My quibbles would be 1) the opening poster and end credits lack a bit of oomph for some reason, 2) the amount of fuel one has to gather for some setplays is just a tad too long.

Finished it, found in the last few camapigns I mostly used a melee weapon like katana or swords to cut way through with guns as secondary or tank weapon. We had fun, our own little tales due to events in game (poor Nick), bits of humour, great setplays (fuel issue seemed fixed) that gave tense desperation (the rollercoaster one particularly) with the "rush through" more fun then the "hang on for five or so minutes". Would get any sequel that comes out, provided co-op fun for my sister and I for which I'm grateful

I doubt there will be any sequals as Valve doesn't seem to want to make games anymore. If you want something similar then Warhammer Vermintide 1 and 2 are similar but are more focused on Melee combat.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Pity about lack of third but will ask sister about Warhammer Vermintide, thank you
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:04 pm

I've started playing Rocket League again and am remembering why I stopped. It's a great concept and game but I'm really bad at it. I know exactly what I want to do most of the time but my capacity to judge speed, height and timings is completely inadequate! :lol: However a few of my friends have got excited by their cross platform announcement and want to form a semi-regular team. Does mean I'm gonna have to shell out for PS+ again though...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Started co-op game A Way Out, premise two prisoners seek to escape and get revenge, they have to cooperate and work together to do that. A small studio and EA to their credit agreed that, since a two player game, only one person needed the game and then could invite their intended friend to play. Played with sister and our screens split so we can see what the other was doing (and insults/advice reign down by usual methods :wink: )

Hazelight Studios are a small one and there is a certain lack of polish, doesn't look as good as I'm used to and a bit dated (despite being released last year) though not ugly, glitches occur though only once forced to restart at a checkpoint for it and they are very generous with checkpoints so was only back a little bit. There is goodwill, the "one player free", the generous checkpoints, the sense it wants you to complete the game (this is not a hard one) though I didn't feel the game explains well all the keys it is asking you to use and in one case (hit the yellow when more you need to hit just before the yellow) the advice was off. Story and dialogue is not well done, we tend to treat it with a flippant attitude and I don't care for the characters, feel they could have easily got age rating down, the little fun mucking around stuff is nice.

Where it works is the co-op feels different. Usually with co-op games, including well done and beloved ones, one can imagine doing it with one player (bar any "you need five as this extra quest is meant for 5"), in Lef4Dead case with AI help. Here this isn't single player allowed and it would feel wrong to play it that way. They manage to set it up so it makes sense your characters working together makes sense each time, that it needs to be two or else the task can't be pulled off, varies how task is executed each time which keeps things fresh. Some really tense and fun moments even if one is playing lookout for the other that time, some great bursts of excitement during key moments.

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Finished A Way Out, fairly short, game gave us nice time despite lack of polish. At it's best when it made you do things a bit different, working together to complete a task to further your adventure. Alas near the end it more focuses on action which is not at it's best and plays into co-op that other games do far better, we also had a small segment that held us up a bit but mostly due to our own incompetence. The ending was a bit predictable but well done in terms of how it is done and vocal work so gave an emotional edge to finish off a story that hadn't been particularly intresting

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:49 pm

My sister and I latest co-op is adventure game Strange Brigade, riffing on 1930 style adventures, I play archaeologist Archimedes de Quincey (seems like he has abilities that requires him to be picked) and my sister plays DLC pilot Tessie Caldwell, initial set of characters at two females and two males though all white, DLC rebalances that. As an 1930's riff, one can see what it is trying to do, it looks visually good in that theme but the humour including narrator and baddie descriptions hasn't worked so far.

As a co-op, it focuses one's dialogue only on your own character rather then hearing your friend characters reaction to events, seems to rely on a degree of fairness between players to ensure shared gold (and there was plenty) but ensures people get a shot at items like letters by repeating the optional ones in chests and allowing everyone to grab collectables rather then first come first served.

As a game, it is solid. It feels like it wants you to win, generous with ammo resupplies, not so much with health potion but they place it at other stages, easy for party members to revive the other (or use potion) and could hang on for ages with red health. Controls could be better explained but easy to get used to, action is solid and goes along nicely with some tension if your really low health, most puzzles seem easy enough but showed potential for more then memory tests (or "cat symbol, now shoot the eye symbol" communication), just needs to do better with humour and flair.

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:45 am

Current playing Pokemon Platinum, but it is only a place holder until I can get a 2DS and download Pokemon Red!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jake » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Started playing The Elder's Scrolls Online about two weeks ago. I've never really been a fan of MMO's but this time I've got 3 of my friends playing with me and joined a native spoken guild so it feels immensely different than the time I tried out World of Warcraft and playing solo.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven