What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:27 pm

My sister and I sold our PS4 awhile back and have been keeping an eye out for PC co-op games, during Black Friday sales we brought Left4Dead and sequel cheaply. Heard good things, would allow us to test how co-oping from different computers would work for us. Had a great time yesterday with the first Left4Dead camapign and looking forward to the next one (we calculate one camapign at a time to prevent burnout).

Wasn't quite what we expected, we had to adjust our tactics (like shut doors behind) and go onto easy as we aren't good at it simply to get through first chapter. For a game that is ten years old, it holds up well (though a "RUUUUUN" button would have been nice), controls solid, varying where items and some zombie attacks happen prevents things getting samey if you fail level then come back. Some nice touches to prevent accidental leaving people behind and trapping them, suitably creepy music at right times, the odd setplay to keep things fresh.

The AI supporting 2 we had in group of four was extremely well balanced in they weren't super-powered or inept but reliable support who would heal up and react to events, was glad to have them without feeling shown up. Found their scores always tended to be in the middle. Not always keeping with the character you picked is a minor irritant, could be more helpful in where you need to go but we enjoyed pushing on, tension when hordes seemed set to overwhelm us, cursing when bloater got our face covered and couldn't see what I was shooting.

We love the film touch, the poster at the start with our steam names for starring as, the humorous film credits at the end of the campaign. The safe house between chapters also brings some much needed humanity as you observe the scrawled messages on the walls from people who had been there before, some emotional, some amusing.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 pm

I enjoy the Left for Dead games, I am not that great at them as I am not that good at first person shooters but every once in a while I reinstall it on steam and mess around with the AI companions as I hate playing with strangers :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:57 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I enjoy the Left for Dead games, I am not that great at them as I am not that good at first person shooters but every once in a while I reinstall it on steam and mess around with the AI companions as I hate playing with strangers :lol:

We play just us two, my constant friendly fire is less likely to be noticed :oops: I'm not a multiplayer guy, I love single player games and only multi-players are co-up with sister. I feel embarrassed and awkward with others, I'm not a good video game player whereas I relax with my sister who knows I'm inept.

Finished the camapigns on Christmas Eve (festive!) and game really holds up. The "what it could be better on" (bar one where game crashed for sister just before end so she didn't get steam badge for playing the whole camapign frustration) is one preference for being able to pause game via vote and minor tweaks (camapigns linking up for example). The AI was very good at randomising attacks and events while your companions were spot on, it tended to be clear enough where to go though not always, the gameplay was good, some good final battles, loved the graffiti and little touches of humour. I did find that if server put us normal, we got hammered and if on easy it became just a little too easy but we had a nice, fun time and will play the sequel.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I enjoy the Left for Dead games, I am not that great at them as I am not that good at first person shooters but every once in a while I reinstall it on steam and mess around with the AI companions as I hate playing with strangers :lol:

We play just us two, my constant friendly fire is less likely to be noticed :oops: I'm not a multiplayer guy, I love single player games and only multi-players are co-up with sister. I feel embarrassed and awkward with others, I'm not a good video game player whereas I relax with my sister who knows I'm inept.

Finished the camapigns on Christmas Eve (festive!) and game really holds up. The "what it could be better on" (bar one where game crashed for sister just before end so she didn't get steam badge for playing the whole camapign frustration) is one preference for being able to pause game via vote and minor tweaks (camapigns linking up for example). The AI was very good at randomising attacks and events while your companions were spot on, it tended to be clear enough where to go though not always, the gameplay was good, some good final battles, loved the graffiti and little touches of humour. I did find that if server put us normal, we got hammered and if on easy it became just a little too easy but we had a nice, fun time and will play the sequel.

The sequel is also quite good, honestly it is more of the same but with a few new special infected, and the ability to use melee weapons. Once thing I really like is that you can play the first game's campaigns with the second's games features.

I am also terrible, the AI constantly has better accuracy and kills then me :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:28 am

Melee weapons would be fun. Planning to start sequel in a few weeks and looking forward to it

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I am also terrible, the AI constantly has better accuracy and kills then me :lol:

Usually my sister and I manage to have the two of them in the midle with one of us on tp and one on bottom. Bar healing, they always win that by a mile
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider aka the second of the rebooted franchise. Well made game with everyone one would expect, tombs (and more of them), jumping, arrows, adventuring, a bit of mystic, documents and relics to find. I just felt the game was good (though slightly frustrating when arrows become less useful) but lacked a bit of magic of the first game, I could predict the plot which was solid enough, I had a nice but great time. Manor was nicely different and looking into Croft's past, the cold darkness expedition was a bit tooo.... sneak around for my liking.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

I haven't really played anything since before the winter holiday, but nominally at least, I have Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on the go on Switch. I'm not really feeling motivated to play them right now, though.

I did tell a friend of mine that I would eventually get around to playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice sometime this year, so I'll probably jump on that sooner rather than later.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 am

I downloaded Tetris on to my phone. Now I'm worried that it might have been a mistake. When the average game runs for 40 mins but I treat it like a couple of minutes time waster the day just, kind of, slips away...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
The sequel is also quite good, honestly it is more of the same but with a few new special infected, and the ability to use melee weapons. Once thing I really like is that you can play the first game's campaigns with the second's games features.

I am also terrible, the AI constantly has better accuracy and kills then me :lol:

Done first two camapigns of Left4Dead 2 for an afternoon and my impressions is pretty much "more of the same" with tweaks. Which is good, got a formula that works, why change it all up? Had to adjust to new style of spitters, sword has replaced pistol as my back up (and situational) weapon, not really got a sense of new ammo, I like the better sense of characters (I'm playing coach), still got the sense of humour, system works well, more setplays which are fun and tense. My quibbles would be 1) the opening poster and end credits lack a bit of oomph for some reason, 2) the amount of fuel one has to gather for some setplays is just a tad too long.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2, gameplay wise it is very similar to the first game, a few things are better a few things are worse. Have mainly just played the campaign and have noticed that the computer tends to kite me (the enemy is Chaos which tends to be long range)

So far I am enjoying it, though I will see if it can hold my interest as long as the first one did.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven