What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Adam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Elitemsh wrote:You're playing on ps3 right? Isn't lag going to the real issue? Apparently it only initiates after you're a while into the game.I was thinking of getting this game before I read about the lag issue.

It was supposedly patched a while back, although I never had an issue with it in the first place (except when I had been playing for about 7 or 8 hours straight, which usually lags just about any game I play on there).
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:FF13 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer which I have never got round to finishing. Hopefully story and companions are stronger then the last chapter of the main camapign

Still playing both, enjoying how FF13 has expanded and liking most of the cast (apart from Snow),a slightly annoying tendency to do lines that make me wonder if Barney the dinosaur is about to turn up. Also playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, found Joker quickly gives an intresting villainous performance, creating an atmosphere to drag me into the game. Took awhile more to get me into the gameplay, partly becuase I'm the type to try and get as many of the Riddler trophies as soon as possible which led to me crawling along with detective mode on way too much, but got into the rhythm now. Enjoy the biographies and the audio tapes, learning a fair bit about the Batman world from this.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 am

I'm playing Musou Orochi 2 right now and its definitely the best Warriors Orochi game yet and is lots of fun(if you like Warriors games). The roster is enormous and the story long. The Musou Battlefield Mode is a cool idea but its not executed properly all the way, but I hope to see it expanded upon in later titles.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liao Ce » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 am

Elitemsh wrote:
Liao Ce wrote:I recently got Skyrim. It is awesome !!! It was good enough that I stopped playing NBA2k12 when I got it.
The only problem I see with the game is the difficulty. It will seem real easy for a long while, then I will run into somebody (or something) that just can't be beat. But if I put it on easy, then it is all too easy. Maybe I just stink at the game, or maybe I don't yet know how to level up my character for the best effect.
Anyone else played this game? Anyone have similar trouble with it?
Overall, a great game though.

You're playing on ps3 right? Isn't lag going to the real issue? Apparently it only initiates after you're a while into the game.I was thinking of getting this game before I read about the lag issue.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "lag". The game has frozen up on me several times, forcing me to reset the system, and loose my unsaved progress, to resume play. The game has several glitches like that. My character even changed appearance for no particular reason at one point. And it didn't change back.
The game does have several glitches, but so did Oblivion. Overall, I'm not sure if I like it more than Oblivion or not. If I had to sum the game up in one word:
"Over-ambitious"
Or is that 2 words? :lol:
But it's a good game, worth your time, in my opinion.
Liao Ce
Academic

Unread postby rcsha » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 am

I've been playing the hell out of Mount&Blade, which I'd argue has become my favorite game of all time. I suppose no one that doesn't follow my blog has ever heard of it, but they do have an RTK/DW mod for the game. I haven't played it, yet, but some of the promotional material for it looks pretty decent.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:30 am

but they do have an RTK/DW mod for the game
Really? I've never heard of an RoTK mod for that game but that sounds awesome! If you could please provide me with a link to the information on it that would be great, I'd love to try it out :D
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rcsha » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Cao Hong 14 wrote:Really? I've never heard of an RoTK mod for that game but that sounds awesome! If you could please provide me with a link to the information on it that would be great, I'd love to try it out :D

Here's the ROTK mod's thread on Taleworlds' forum. I haven't downloaded it, yet, to check it out myself. It is for the Mount&Blade Warband expansion game. Warband makes a lot of good improvements, although I must say it makes you hate crossbowmen more than DW3 Wu archers because they do much more damage in Warband than in the original. :?
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Also playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, found Joker quickly gives an intresting villainous performance, creating an atmosphere to drag me into the game. Took awhile more to get me into the gameplay, partly because I'm the type to try and get as many of the Riddler trophies as soon as possible which led to me crawling along with detective mode on way too much, but got into the rhythm now. Enjoy the biographies and the audio tapes, learning a fair bit about the Batman world from this.

Finished it last night.

Got into the gameplay a lot more after the first area, the fighting system was enjoyable and the game seemed to know when to throw in a new type of enemy or new equipment. I liked hand to hand fighting but also swinging above the heads of the foes, listening to their taunts turning into increasing unease as I take them down one by one, helped by the joker's insults and taunts of his own henchman. Probably used detective mode too much to really appreciate the surroundings but they looked nice in the dark gloom. Not a fan of how the females all seem to have got new, more revealing, costumes and the males barely seem to have got costume changes. Big boss battles were inventive at first but it becomes a little repetitive by the end and there seems a slight spike in difficulty near the end as well. Enjoyed hunting down the riddler trophies, particularly ones based on actual riddles. Fun trying to work them out, made sense when found the answer and that they were often a little thing connected to a character made for a nice touch. The Riddler was a little annoying at first but as the game went on, I enjoyed his insults whenever I solved or found something.

In terms of story/characters and so on, I'll admit I'm rather new to the Batman world. Not read the comics, there was a cartoon series I enjoyed (along with the humorous Spiderman) when I was young, watched probably all the Tim Burton era Batman films when I was young, only seen Batman Begins of the latest set. In many ways, particularly with character biographies if completed certain riddler stuff, this (and reading IGN's discussion of the characters) was an education about the Batman world. So for me, having not seen the late Heath Ledger's version, this was the first time I had seen the Joker as a really great villain. Superbly voiced by Mark Hamill, he carried the first level for me and throughout the rest of the game, his taunts (not always against Batman), his jokes and his switch between humour and cruel villainy, were brilliant and a little unsettling. None of three hero characters, Batman/Oracle/Commissioner Gordon, though well voiced, had the depth or the presence to match him, the three of them are sort of just there. Actually, found the characters of some of doctors/guards of the Asylum like Doctor Young or Aaron Cash (as much as I didn't like him) had more depth and presence. The big characters are the villains, not all of them are great and dislike how they handled one of them but most provide something to the game like an intresting character or scares.
the villains. Major spoilers
Loved Harley Quinn, her teasing of Batman, Quicny and the Commissioner yet a dark side to her flirting nature. Her relationship with the Joker is strange, sweet in it's way and sad in another, I liked Harley and wished the Joker was kinder to her. Was sad once she was out of the game, her in tears and fearing Mr J would not arrive. She made an excellent sidekick opponent. The Riddler was always just a voice but got a sense of who he was, loved his increasing desperation as I got closer to finding all his stuff. Scarecrow made for some entertaining boss battles after three brilliant and unsettling cutscenes, Croc could be quite scary. On the other hand, Bane and Zsasz were just there and after reading what Bane did, rather disappointing.

Then there was Poison Ivy. As soon as I saw her, I couldn't believe it. The Green skin and the vines on her body were great, I could cope with the poorly done red hair (looked really really stiff) but the costume? Did they really have to do that? Se gets thrown in late and didn't make much of an impression.

The story is good and dark, though it weakened near the end, felt it could create atmosphere at certain moments that send chills through my spine or make me sad
examples. Major spoilers
Doctor Young's kidnap then, after rescuing her, the death made me sad. Returning to Arkham East to find the guards all had been killed in the supposedly safe place. The Scarecrow cutscenes.
The interview tapes are nice idea but the quality is mixed, one superb set, some good and some just meh. Probably suffers due to mentally recalling the quality of the first Bioshock game audio diaries.
the Diaries
Zsasz diaries were the best, carefully building up to a sad/creepy end. Joker's was intresting and the Riddler had his moments, was intresting how both raged against what they perceive Batman to really be. Harley's seemed more a nice addition to the Joker then much about herself, while Arleen Sorkin's voicework is good in the game, it doesn't work so well on the interview tapes. Croc and Ivy's are rather bland, Tasia Valenza didn't pull off the seduction needed.
The side story, hunting down the mysterious recordings was intresting enough but then really began to hit home the closer I got to getting all of them.
major spoilers
Loved the beginning with the slightly ethereal voice of Arkham telling a sad story. Lost a bit of interest until I realized the descriptions where of the likes of Croc and Ivy. The one of Harley and the Joker was very creepy but loved the moment where it clicked into place and I raced to find the Warden only to find his parting gift.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Monster Hunter Tri. I thought I'd try a lance this time around but I quickly went back to bowgunning. I still use the lance offline though, simply because it does damage much faster damage (at least for right now; eventually I'll build a less support oriented and more damage oriented bowgun).

Kinda wish they had made an expansion pack for Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii, or at least made it so that the 3DS one had online play like Tri does. The lack of monsters in Tri hurts but the online is really good, amazingly.

From time to time I've also been replaying Cave Story (the Steam version).
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Now playing Assassin's Creed 2 after Batman left me in the mood for another platform/action game, finished first chapter/section. I had found the first game erratic, some good parts, some decent but overused parts and some problems. I had enjoyed the main story, both in the Holy Land and in the modern day, plus the secrets in the modern day world, enjoyed some of the character as the story progressed, loved the viewpoints after some epic climbs. Unfortunately the gameplay itself had many problems including being repetitive.

Only time will tell on the repetitive part but mostly like what I have seen so far. Liked the personality they put in the manual, thought the reminder of the overall story from the first game was a good idea and well done, climbs still well done, some new idea's which seem to have potential. Storyline shows promise, the new characters have been enjoyable so far, game has more humour in so far. The views don't quite seem as grand so far, something seems off with some of the main characters faces at times (Desmond, Lucy, Ezio coming to mind) and seems like Desmond has changed into a rather more bland heroey figure.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven