Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic MMORPG

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic MMORPG

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:21 am

Finally found a trailer for it and it looks so awesome and pretty intense. The ability to chose between the Jedi or the Sith is so cool I'm going to have to buy this game just for the sake of wonder and awesomeness.

Here's the Trailer:
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/dec ... eid=ea3719
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic MMORPG

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:12 pm

I might try it, but this is going to have a game client the size of my HDD. Plus, monthly subs? Eech. I've already been excited with APB and Guild Wars 2 not having them. I don't think I can bring myself to go back to month by month.

Maybe a life sub, we'll see. I'll have to be still manage to tolerate ! over npc heads to get quests by the time it is released.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Bryan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Between everything that's coming out this fall/winter to next year's summer, I honestly don't know if I'd have time to play this. I would love to get in on it, but I just don't see it happening upon its release.

And if it's anything like WoW, I'm washing my hands of it, bounty hunter or no.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Pro's and Con's...

The game is a product of Bioware, a company with an almost perfect reccord when it came to the quality of its games.

Sadly, its a Star Wars MMO, and SWG proved that such games could end up in flaming failures. Of course, it will suffer like all MMO's of not being WoW. I know, this sounds petty, but most MMO's are accused of being WoW clones or lacking what WoW has. Its really hard to deal with it.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:19 am

SWG was actually a successful MMO before they destroyed it with changes.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shoelip » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:37 am

All SWG proves is that SOE are idiots. They had a great game in their hands that was truely unique, but then they messed with the combat, and pissed off a bunch of people, but they weren't done yet oh no! Then they decided it wasn't getting enough WoW players or some insane notion like that and completely remade the game to be a steaming pile of Rancor feces, and the Rancor had indigestion.

It's not just SWG they've screwed up. They've been slowly killing off Planetside almost since not too long after it's release, starting with the firing of the dev team.

I personally have little hope for Star Wars Old Republic. The trailer looked supremely idiotic and generic. Nevermind that it doesn't make any fricking sense whatsoever. Nevermind that I haven't been satisfied with a Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2.
Shoelip
Master

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Shoelip wrote:I personally have little hope for Star Wars Old Republic. The trailer looked supremely idiotic and generic. Nevermind that it doesn't make any fricking sense whatsoever. Nevermind that I haven't been satisfied with a Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2.

This game takes place 300 years after the events of KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2. It's about the Sacking of Corcusant and how the Sith Empire launched a surprise attack on the capital planet while most of the Jedi were away at Alderdann during peace talks with the sith. The Republic was then forced to sign the treaty while it was unfair, or risk the total destruction of the planet. Your character plays in the time of The Cold War between the two factions. Now then does the trailer look better and does it make a little more sense now. Don't forget to read the little paragraphs describing what's taking place underneath the video.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I think that still leaves it to be generic. I mean, that can be interchanged to almost any point in the rivalry time line. The Jedi and Sith are classical opposites in constant conflict.

The client is going to be horrifically big. Everything voice acted? I can't imagine we'll get the same level of dialogue usually found in MMOs.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 pm

I really don't think that having everything VA'd is going to make it substandard to what little is found already in MMOs. That's something we'll just have to wait and see about, really.
DynastyWarriors6 wrote:Now then does the trailer look better and does it make a little more sense now. Don't forget to read the little paragraphs describing what's taking place underneath the video.
Don't bother with it. He's made his position clear. It's actually not that unpopular a position, really though.
Antiochus wrote:Sadly, its a Star Wars MMO, and SWG proved that such games could end up in flaming failures. Of course, it will suffer like all MMO's of not being WoW. I know, this sounds petty, but most MMO's are accused of being WoW clones or lacking what WoW has. Its really hard to deal with it.
The main thing that's been addressed is that SWG was ruined by SOE, who has somewhat of a track record for that kind of thing. I still maintain that the Japanese have a hard time comprehending online games. The funny thing about WoW is whenever I ask anyone why they're still playing it, the answer I tend to get is because all their friends still play it, which in turn is the answer I've gotten from their friends. Most of them hate the mindless repetitiveness, but because they have friends to play with, that makes it null and void.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Little? MMO's have the most dialogue in rpg games. To VA everything is a lot of gigs.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven