Upcoming Games (General Thread)

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Upcoming Games (General Thread)

Unread postby Bryan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:50 am

Didn't look too far back for an existing thread, but I'll gladly revive one. Most of the individual threads don't stay alive for long, and I figured that it would be more efficient to have a general topic until the release.

As of now there are only a couple of games that I'm psyched about: Borderlands and a new entry into the Baldur's Gate series (been talked about for almost a decade).

Borderlands is what I'm psyched the most about. All the potential weapon customizations and the setting along with the screenshots are all just blowing my mind right now. I still go back periodically and read GameInformer's article on it.

Baldur's Gate... as long as it stays somewhat faithful, I'll be all over it.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Upcoming Games (General Thread)

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Keep in mind it won't be Bioware on it. Maybe Obsidian, instead.

Elemental - This game is the bring back of Master of Magic but more importantly, it is the first game to give you a reason to have a 64-bit computer which will give you true everlasting epic gaming.

Demigod - RPG/RTS gaming.

After the past few months, I don't think I have much looking forward right now.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Marc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:35 am

Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:25 am

Both those games look fun ranbir, good finds. Keep them coming. As for games im looking forward to, Diablo 3 tops my list. The new lord of the rings conquest game looks quite fun. The jason and the argonauts game looks semi promising also. And of course dragon age will be a must buy for me, as will be the new Bioware led star wars MMO. If anyone can dethrone WoW it will be Bioware. If they cant do it, we have to wait for blizzard to release some other next gen MMO(which they have made fairly clear they are looking to do).
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:35 am

I forgot about Generic Age.

Sadly on the Kotor MMO. I saw some screenies, granted they were early but the picture of a Jedi grinding exp against some dog-beast or something seemed rather sad. But that also demonstrated their MMO model won't be too far away from the standard*, which won't do them any favours.

*A standard WoW essentially is a perfect representation of. MMOs need to go a new different direction to stand out, not simply depend on a popular franchise.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Marc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:41 pm

I didn't really like the look of the KOTOR MMO. From the screens I saw, everything looked a bit too exaggerated and cartoonish for my tastes. The lightsaber hilts look about as thick as my forearm.

Diablo 3 is definitely one I'm looking forward to as well, along with Dragon Age. Good calls, SA.
Upon hearing that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be released next fall, that's something I can look forward to as well - I still haven't played World at War yet, and don't really intend to.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:47 pm

There's two games I'm looking forward to for sure, more than any other games.

Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

I loved the first Killzone, despite many cries of mediocrity, but I found it very enjoyable. Not to mention, I got to play a bit of the beta and it was very well done. Think CoD4 multiplayer but better. It was that good. I'm quite envious of Europeans right now because they get a chance to play a bit of the campaign. February just can't come sooner.

The first time I saw the teaser trailer for Uncharted, I literally screamed for joy. I absolutely loved Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and its without a doubt one of, if not the best game(s) I've played this generation. They need a release date for this game ASAP so I can start marking my calendar and counting down.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Bryan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Oi, I forgot to mention Star Ocean: The Last Hope! Now, the last SO I played was Second Story, and that's been a while. However, I'm so burnt out right now on games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion that I'm dying for a good RPG of the Japanese variety, and I'm on the fence right now about acquiring the Last Remnant from SquareEnix (mainly about certain sequences of nonstop battle in which there are no save points...).

Japanese
English, wherein there is a link for First Departure, Second Evolution, and Till the End of Time, as well. (The link for the Last Hope is just the video.)

3.3.09 for North America and, well, I have yet to see a Euro release date for it.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:44 am

The problem with original idea MMOs is that doing something so out of the norm generally results in poor sales. Star Wars Galaxies was by far one of the better economic and class driven MMOs, but they changed the entire game to make up for its somewhat mediocre combat areas. A more standard SW MMO like the one bioware is doing may end up setting a new standard for MMOs. Follow a successful model to achieve a good model for your game, then add and deviate. This is why Warhammer and Lord of the rings are still running strong, while games like Final Fantasy are struggling. If warhammer had some more original ideas packed into their game it might be more successful. Which is what bioware should be able to do. Make a good model of a game into a great game.

Also, the new SW MMO is still in super early stages. I wouldnt be surprised if the little previews are nothing but roughly rendered early drafts of what will later become the final product.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 pm

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven