Chrono Trigger DS

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Chrono Trigger DS

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:40 am

A port of Chrono Trigger is coming out on the DS in North America winter 08. Anyone excited for this? Or just more Squeenix cashing in on ports? Considering the crappy PS1 port of Chrono Trigger being the only one out there, I'm sure fans will flock to this game. Especially on the DS, which has taken on the Gameboy Advance's old role of hosting ports / remakes of old school RPG's.

I found this video today...

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12188_chron ... video.html
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Chrono Trigger DS

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:25 am

When I heard about the title yesterday, I thought, "Oh cool, a real sequel to Chrono Trigger." Then I read the article on IGN, and realized that it was just a port.

I think this is just a cash-in by Squeenix. I don't see how this could interest me, even with an extra dungeon or whatever. I'd rather see a real sequel to chrono trigger or chrono cross, both of which were good games. In fact, I actually liked cross more than trigger, and would rather get a port for that, if anything. You might have been able to guess I was a cross fan by my avatar. 8-)
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:18 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a port of CT.

I'm glad they are porting these games. It isn't like Street Fighter where it is being ported over and over again to anything with buttons -- these games are being brought back for this first time from platforms many people don't have the ability to play these days. And to a handheld -- that only makes it cooler. I'm glad. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Old old news, but good good news. CT is not the best SNES RPG out there (it's 4th on my list after FFIV, Secret of Mana, and Soul Blazer and followed closely by Lufia II and FFVI, in that order), so you won't see me raving like about it like a fanboy, but I have it on my list of DS games to buy.

It's going to be a mildly polished port of the SNES Chrono Trigger (maybe a couple of script tweaks and an extra dungeon, but nowhere near the workover that FFIII and IV got). This is just fine to me, because I think CT's style and graphics suit the DS really well.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 pm

haha 4 days is old old news Kong? I can't imagine everyone here checks RPG sites every day let alone over a holiday weekend....I wasn't intending to 'break' this story here or anything lol....just saw no one posted about it yet. It's officially coming as a port in the Winter of 08.

Yep, besides the extra dungeon, it is a port. FFIII and FFIV are remakes. There are issues with licensing that prevents Chrono Trigger from making a full remake (though I'm sure they'd like to milk this version like Square did with FFIV on GBA before the DS rendition).

For me it's behind the FF's (FF5 is best on SNES imo).... but is still one of the top SNES games and considering the lack of quality ports in the past of this, it will be immensely popular.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Lordyuanshu wrote:haha 4 days is old old news Kong? I can't imagine everyone here checks RPG sites every day let alone over a holiday weekend....I wasn't intending to 'break' this story here or anything lol....just saw no one posted about it yet.

No need to get defensive. I wasn't criticizing you for posting it. I was just acting like an elitist. ;) The teaser site was posted like 6 days ago, and like you, I'm also surprised no one created a thread about it during that time.

Lordyuanshu wrote:For me it's behind the FF's (FF5 is best on SNES imo).... but is still one of the top SNES games and considering the lack of quality ports in the past of this, it will be immensely popular.

I see you have good taste in SNES RPGs. I am immediately dubious of anyone who ranks FFVI or Chrono at #1. FFV is a very respectable first place.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Niahak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:35 am

I'm looking forward to this even though I happened to play through CT SNES just a couple weeks ago :)

I'm not a big fan of Square-Enix making ports of games that have already been ported several times (FF1, FF4-6) although I approve of remakes... but CT only had the one port to PSX which ruined the rhythm of the game with horrible load times. I'm willing to buy this game so long as it lacks the load times of that evil beast.

Started up a game of Chrono Cross when I heard the announcement. It's better than I remembered :)

As for SNES RPGs... to be honest I don't know which I like best. CT is certainly up there, though.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 am

Niahak, I was lucky enough to reacquire a copy of Chrono Cross for $8 (missing the manual), so I may do the same thing later this summer, though there are already a ton of games in my queue.

Either way, the disappearance of those damn PS1 load times is going to be a big incentive for playing through Trigger again on the DS.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Niahak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:48 am

Wow. With a list like that you might want to consider The Backloggery. I've found it pretty nice to use so far (although I've gotten / played few games since I started using it). If I may suggest an open game, I'd recommend Skies of Arcadia - I really enjoyed it. The combat's a bit tedious but the setting is great fun.

I'm curious as to what they'll add in this port, though. There are a couple romhacks that add stuff like an arena to the game, and there's a rumor that there was an unfinished (though short) dungeon in a prototype.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:48 am

Kong Wen wrote:Niahak, I was lucky enough to reacquire a copy of Chrono Cross for $8 (missing the manual), so I may do the same thing later this summer, though there are already a ton of games in my queue.

Either way, the disappearance of those damn PS1 load times is going to be a big incentive for playing through Trigger again on the DS.

I was reading your blog the other day. Chrono Cross is a great game, and I do recommend it, although you have a lot of nice stuff on that queue that is probably more worth your time as well.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven