Chrono Trigger DS

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Chrono Trigger DS

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:41 am

Kong Wen wrote:
Lordyuanshu wrote:haha 4 days is old old news Kong? I can't imagine everyone here checks RPG sites every day let alone over a holiday weekend....I wasn't intending to 'break' this story here or anything lol....just saw no one posted about it yet.

No need to get defensive. I wasn't criticizing you for posting it. I was just acting like an elitist. ;) The teaser site was posted like 6 days ago, and like you, I'm also surprised no one created a thread about it during that time.

Lordyuanshu wrote:For me it's behind the FF's (FF5 is best on SNES imo).... but is still one of the top SNES games and considering the lack of quality ports in the past of this, it will be immensely popular.

I see you have good taste in SNES RPGs. I am immediately dubious of anyone who ranks FFVI or Chrono at #1. FFV is a very respectable first place.

Not sure if I've played five... I believe 3... maybe four was my fave on the snes. Whichever had Cecil, Tella, the twins... good times... good times.
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:48 pm

FFV as #1? I'm a hard-code addict of Final Fantasy and role-playing games, and it comes in second for me to FFIV, FFVI and FFVII. It is a wonderful role-playing game and I really enjoy playing it, but there are other games out there which are a bit better. I know you're definitely not alone in loving it first before all others, though. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:56 pm

James wrote:FFV as #1? I'm a hard-code addict of Final Fantasy and role-playing games, and it comes in second for me to FFIV, FFVI and FFVII.

As per the above, I am immediately dubious of your taste in games. ;) Even doubly so because of the sketchy-at-best FFVII being there! You must have some nostalgia attached to that puppy.

So it's been reported that Chrono Trigger DS has functionality for 2-4 players via Wi-Fi. Anyone care to venture a guess on what that's all about?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Kong Wen wrote:As per the above, I am immediately dubious of your taste in games. ;) Even doubly so because of the sketchy-at-best FFVII being there! You must have some nostalgia attached to that puppy.

It would be touch to endure FF VII's graphics again today, but it was a damn wonderful game when I played it! Some really fond memories, and that is the criteria used to determine which games I like best! Your tastes, sir, are the ones which might be accused of being dubious! But generally they are refined enough that I could not bring myself to criticize them. :pika:

Kong Wen wrote:So it's been reported that Chrono Trigger DS has functionality for 2-4 players via Wi-Fi. Anyone care to venture a guess on what that's all about?

I realize, now, that it has been so long since I've played CT that I've forgotten some of how the combat system works. I don't remember it being much like Secret of Mana where you could just whap the monsters on the map, but I do remember the monsters being on screen. Could it be like older Final Fantasies where in mutli-player people control different characters in battle?
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:05 pm

James wrote:Your tastes, sir, are the ones which might be accused of being dubious! But generally they are refined enough that I could not bring myself to criticize them. :pika:

That's right, you settle down. My tastes are, as always, the Golden Standard. :)

James wrote:Could it be like older Final Fantasies where in mutli-player people control different characters in battle?

That would be pretty boring for other players. And you only have three active party members, so what would the 4th person do? I suspect it may have something to do with an added play mode, perhaps some kind of arena, or even simply an item trading function.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Kong Wen wrote:That's right, you settle down. My tastes are, as always, the Golden Standard. :)

Bah... I still can't believe FFV is your favorite!

Kong Wen wrote:That would be pretty boring for other players. And you only have three active party members, so what would the 4th person do? I suspect it may have something to do with an added play mode, perhaps some kind of arena, or even simply an item trading function.

I used to get really excited when I read those things, but it always seems like games come out with a half-assed multiplayer mode. Some kind of sandbox-like challenge or gamplay -- rarely a multiplayer approach to the real game. Even in some games that enjoy it at their heart, like Mario Kart Wii, messed it up. But hopefully it is something fun in Chrono Trigger.

What I would absolutely love to see is Secret of Mana with Wifi multiplayer.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Admiral_Barton » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22 pm

While some may not agree with my tastes, but Chrono Trigger has been my favorite game of all time. While some may say this is just a cash in by Squareenix, I would agree in part, but as a gamer I'm glad to have it coming to DS. My only worry is the extent that the game might be updated/changed.
"History does repeat itself, we just don't care to notice."
"I have a political statement on everything, even cookies."
“To know everything is to have missed the point."
Admiral_Barton
Sage

Location: I'd kill for you, I'd die for you, but most of all I'd live for you

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 am

James wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:That's right, you settle down. My tastes are, as always, the Golden Standard. :)

Bah... I still can't believe FFV is your favorite!

I don't know where you're getting that. LYS said V is his favourite SNES RPG, and I commended his good taste in not choosing Chrono Trigger or FFVI. FFIV is my favourite SNES RPG, followed by 2. Secret of Mana, 3. SoulBlazer, 4. Chrono Trigger, 5. Lufia II, and 6. FFVI in that order. :)

James wrote:[Secret of Mana comment]

Good God yes. That would be awesomely awesome. I would love that either as a DS WiFi update or as some kind of WiiWare update. I only ever got to play it with 2 players since I didn't have a multitap, and it would be awesome to have three veterans playing.

Admiral_Barton wrote:My only worry is the extent that the game might be updated/changed.

From everything I've heard and read, A_B, it seems like the core gameplay itself will remain relatively unchanged. It's certainly not a remake like FFIII and IV are. The only updates that I've heard of are the dual screen support, optional stylus controls, and some tacked-on WiFi content that won't be part of the main game. There may be extra content in the form of items/equipment, but that's not clear right now.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:44 pm

To be honest, I thought about this the other day, and I don't see the allure of classic rpgs anymore. I mean, thinking back, I liked Chrono Trigger at the time I played it because random battles were different (you had to run into enemies to start a fight, I think) and the story was kinda interesting (going through time). However, honestly, the characters weren't really all that deep, the story wasn't that fantastic, the gameplay wasn't that great, the graphics sure don't hold up to anything that exists now: what's so great about it? I have the same feeling with those old final fantasy games, only they don't even bring back nostalgia for me since the first FF game I played was FFIX.

If I had to choose my favorite RPG by Squeenix, I'd probably choose something like Radiata Stories. It had flair (you can kick everything, even people), the story was good, the graphics were good, the characters were good, the gameplay was fun and all things considered, it was like 10x better than Chrono Trigger in every way.

I have no problem with nostalgia, but Chrono Trigger wasn't even that fantastic. I liked Cross better, hence my avatar, but I even recognize that Cross is outmatched nowadays by lots of great games (though I still think the battle system in Cross was fairly classic and interesting). Another thing about Cross is that although there were some cool characters, there were lots of dumb ones. As for Chrono Trigger, other than maybe Frog and Magus, all the characters were pretty stupid and devoid of any kind of personality whatsoever. Even Frog and Magus weren't exactly fantastic characters.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 pm

If FFIX was the first you played, you grew up in a different generation. So I can see where the lack of appreciation comes from and why the nostalgia doesn't apply to you :) That's okay though. I can't really say your opinion on CT is wrong...for me, the game flowed really well to go along with it's RPG elements, a great combination.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven