NHL Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: NHL Discussion Thread

Unread postby Mike » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 am

Pens fan all my life and I missed the Finals while I was in Taiwan. I think that completely derailed my hockey watching recently. I haven't watched a full hockey game since...oh...May. I'm disappointed with myself.

From what I've been paying attention to:
I took almost 10 years, but Henrik Sedin is finally producing without Daniel. Speaking of the Canuckleheads, Kyle Wellwood has no business being on an NHL team.
Good to see Gabby playing well in New York. Guess leaving Lemaire and Minnesota really works wonders on groin injuries and scoring.
Cristobal Huet...I love ya, but where has Antti Niemi been all these years? Ah those Finns and their well hidden goalies...
Same goes for Craig Anderson though he's cooled off recently.
Phoenix is playing well...shame no one watches them.
It should be interesting to see if chronic underachievers Thornton, Marleau, and Heatley stick together for the Olympics and can actually win something. Pulling for Shea Weber to make the team though.

I need to dust off the old Ron Francis jersey and get around to watching some hockey. Ugh.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:18 am

My Wingies took another bad hit. Zetterberg is out for 2 weeks with a shoulder injury. We're basically dressing an AHL team now. Hopefully they get these injuries out of their system so they can play a full team by the time the playoff stretch rolls around.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:02 pm

I've slowly started drifting away from hockey (and into Football/Soccer) the past few years, especially now that the Pens won. It's weird, I sat through the incredibly barren years of the early to mid 2000s and I was so intent of watching them and even listening to them on the radio. Now, I just catch their scores on TSN or The Score every morning to see if they got the 'W'.

Oh well, I still contend that Crosby sucks and Malkin is much better, but that's due to my bias towards Russian players...

Glad to see this thread getting posts. For awhile there, I was the only one...
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:41 am

Mikhail wrote:Oh well, I still contend that Crosby sucks and Malkin is much better, but that's due to my bias towards Russian players...

You can contend that he "sucks" all you want, but you'd be objectively incorrect. I think I kinda know what you mean, though—you prefer Malkin's game, his play-style, you think he's more valuable to the team in a straight comparison, etc. Something like that. But no one can sanely attempt to claim that Crosby's not a good hockey player.

How the heck is Henrik Sedin leading the league in points?!

Side Note #1: World Juniors

Boo, Team USA. Close gold medal game, though. Love seeing Eberle score 2 goals within the last 3 minutes to tie it up. It was Eberle who scored with 5 seconds left to tie the game against Russia last year, too.

Side Note #2: Olympics

Woo, Team Canada! Steve Yzerman is a genius! He left almost every rotten apple that I can't stand off our team (the only exception being Pronger). Russia still has a beast of a team this year. They're the team to beat. The tournament is theirs to lose. Malkin/Ovechicken/Kovalchuk first line? Pavel Datsyuk second line centre? Crazy.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Mike » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:12 am

Kong Wen wrote:Woo, Team Canada! Steve Yzerman is a genius! He left almost every rotten apple that I can't stand off our team (the only exception being Pronger). Russia still has a beast of a team this year. They're the team to beat. The tournament is theirs to lose. Malkin/Ovechicken/Kovalchuk first line? Pavel Datsyuk second line centre? Crazy.

Russia will be an offensive powerhouse. Unfortunately no one on the Russian team can play d other than Volchenkov. I have to say Canada has a much stronger team overall with goaltending and defence to die for.

Interesting deals by Burke and Sutter. The deal for Phaneuf is a definite gamble for the Leafs.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Every Torontonian of a certain age remembers Rob Ramage:
Ramage case concerns appeals court
Monday, March 1, 2010
A four-year sentence for former NHLer Rob Ramage is concerning given his "remarkable" character, despite being convicted of impaired driving causing death, a panel of judges on Ontario's top court said Monday.

Brian Greenspan, Ramage's lawyer, argued the sentence should be reduced because it is disproportionate for an upstanding citizen who had given much back to the community and had no criminal record. In addition, the sentence went against the wishes of Magnuson's family, who asked the judge to show leniency, Greenspan said.

Magnuson, 56, was killed when a rental car driven by Ramage slammed head-on into another vehicle just north of Toronto in December 2003. Ramage and Magnuson had just left a funeral reception for another former NHL player, Keith McCreary.

Ramage was convicted in 2007 of impaired driving causing death, impaired driving causing bodily harm, dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

He was sentenced to four years imprisonment and was banned from driving for five years. Ramage has been out on bail since then, living in St. Louis. source
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:26 am

Well, the Wings played most of the season injured. Everyone wrote them off. And now, down the stretch, with their key players all coming back, they went on what, a 9 game win streak? They've propelled themselves from 9th into 6th in the West and are starting to look like a nightmare matchup for a high seed. They'll still have a tough time against the likes of Vancouver (if Luongo can play well) or Chicago, but I'm glad to see they actually have a chance of making a charge.

Washington is looking scary in the East, winning no matter what happens. My top teams I don't want to win the cup under any circumstances are Washington, San Jose, and New Jersey.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Human5 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm

i like the red wings and dallas stars. :P
Kong Wen wrote:Well, the Wings played most of the season injured. Everyone wrote them off. And now, down the stretch, with their key players all coming back, they went on what, a 9 game win streak? They've propelled themselves from 9th into 6th in the West and are starting to look like a nightmare matchup for a high seed. They'll still have a tough time against the likes of Vancouver (if Luongo can play well) or Chicago, but I'm glad to see they actually have a chance of making a charge.

Washington is looking scary in the East, winning no matter what happens. My top teams I don't want to win the cup under any circumstances are Washington, San Jose, and New Jersey.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Human5 wrote:i like the red wings and dallas stars.

You must be happy the Red Wings signed Mike Modano to a 1-year contract this summer then. :)
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:44 am

Gawd, Vancouver are such bottlers.........
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven