NHL Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: NHL Discussion Thread

Unread postby Mike » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 am

Well that was an anti climactic ending. Great win for my Pens. Would've been better if the Caps actually showed up to play.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:33 am

... sooooooooooooo...

The red wings are up 2-0 in the series. I do not appreciate that.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:52 am

Wings have gotten a bunch of lucky bounces; the Pens haven't been able to capitalize on their bounces. The Wings are playing some solid defensive hockey in containing both Crosby and Geno, which makes Chris Osgood seem like he's Patrick Roy or something. In short, the Pens need to step it up.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 am

Remember for the past couple of years, everyone criticized Geno because his production went down as the playoffs drew on? Last year, he was impressive in the first two rounds, went on a tear in the first few games against the Flyers and then faded away. Then everyone praised Crosby because he kept charging?

I never criticized Geno because I knew he was the best - far better than Crosby. Last year, Geno played a lot more games than Crosby and it was inevitable that one would be fresher than the other once the intensity of the playoffs came around. This year's playoffs is proof that Geno is the superior player and that, while he played the same amount of regular season games as he did last year, the man has improved in leaps and bounds and has shown his maturity in the league and should be thrusted into the limelight as the sport's premier player.

He is basically carrying the team in this series right now. 7 points in 3 games, with a 3 point performance today. The first person to reach 30+ points in the playoffs since Sakic prior to the millennium. If the Penguins win the cup, this man should be awarded the Conn Smythe and all the accolades should come his way. Even if the Pens don't win, he should still get a nod since he's done so well (or at least give him the Hart)
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:02 am

Mikhail wrote:Remember for the past couple of years, everyone criticized Geno because his production went down as the playoffs drew on? Last year, he was impressive in the first two rounds, went on a tear in the first few games against the Flyers and then faded away. Then everyone praised Crosby because he kept charging?

I never criticized Geno because I knew he was the best - far better than Crosby. Last year, Geno played a lot more games than Crosby and it was inevitable that one would be fresher than the other once the intensity of the playoffs came around. This year's playoffs is proof that Geno is the superior player and that, while he played the same amount of regular season games as he did last year, the man has improved in leaps and bounds and has shown his maturity in the league and should be thrusted into the limelight as the sport's premier player.

He is basically carrying the team in this series right now. 7 points in 3 games, with a 3 point performance today. The first person to reach 30+ points in the playoffs since Sakic prior to the millennium. If the Penguins win the cup, this man should be awarded the Conn Smythe and all the accolades should come his way. Even if the Pens don't win, he should still get a nod since he's done so well (or at least give him the Hart)

Missed half the game tonight (was watching Toronto FC get beat down by the Whitecaps hahah). Anyways, I think the problem with Geno last year was that he was carrying an injury into the final. That said, Geno has been amazing this year. That backhand goal on Ward was just pure magic. However, if I had a team I'd still have to take Crosby over Geno. While Geno is more skillful than Crosby, I think Crosby has the intangibles you look for in a team leader. Basically, Crosby would give you a more solid base to build a team around.

Anyhow, Geno definately deserves the accolades right now. My favs Letang and Talbot have also been studs.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:04 am

I just want you to know that when the Pens win.... You sir are invited to my house for the party.

Arashi Baiko
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:35 am

Game 5 has been embarrassing. That's all I have to say. :(
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:59 am

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay penguins

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy pittsburgh

yayyyyyyyy me for living there

good game from what i saw... literally the last 2 minutes

Arashi Baiko
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:18 am

That was an incredible game! Flower was MASSIVE! Geno deserves the Conn Smythe, though Fleury had a shout just because of his last 2 games, I think.

Oh, that last 5 minutes was just nothing but thrilling. That crossbar was so great. Everyone in my house was screaming at the TV, getting mad why they allowed a goal but I was cool as a cucumber. It was hilarious to see Fluery pat the crossbar right after. But the best part was that diving save in the dying seconds. I don't care if that wasn't even on time, but just making that save showed his will and determination. In his post-interview with the CBC, he actually swore ("Oh Sh**") in describing what his thoughts were just before everything happened. Great for him to finally win something though. The stigma of losing the world juniors is finally washed away.

I was just angry of all the attention Crosby was getting. Didn't do anything for half the game because of injury, yet he's perfectly okay when its time to lift the cup. But don't mind me. Part of me will always dislike Crosby. Even with his 31 points.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 am

Ack.

It was pretty fun to watch my second-favourite team defeat my favourite team in the playoffs last year, even if the officiating was suspect. Glad to see Crosby and Fleury and the boys get some credit and raise the bar for the always-competitive Ovechkin. I'm hoping Fleury gets some attention for the third goaltender position on Team Canada for the 2010 Olympics (behind the obvious shoo-ins, Brodeur and Luongo). It's also kinda funny to see that ship-jumper Hossa get burned by his former team, poor sap.

Anyway, I'm a Wings fan through-and-through, have been for the last 20 years. We're in rough shape this season, having lost Hossa, Samuelson, Lilja, Chelios, and Conklin to free agency and Franzen, Cleary, Filpulla, Williams, and Kronwall to injury... and all we got back is Bertuzzi? Don't get me wrong, I like Big Bert, but he's not enough. We're going to have a tough year, and we won't go deep in the playoffs without some added scoring depth at the trade deadline.

No team is surprising me more than the LA Kings this season. Kopitar and Quick have been crazy good. If LA keeps up this pace, they're in contention for the President's Trophy! Who predicted that!? I like it, though. Not that I particularly care about that team, but I always like to see status quos shaken up a bit. ;)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven