Elder scrolls?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Elder scrolls?

Unread postby Bryan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Funny thing, I've spec'd Elven as well, and it was immediately available piecemeal in the shops. Seriously?
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Not sure about that, think it is related to level and what sort of things you've been finding on your adventures.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Nazne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 pm

You don't really have to stop adventuring - just buy all the smiths' steel/iron/leather whenever you have the money, and make tons of cheap stuff with them. Smithing levels up pretty quickly, too, and being able to improve armor and weapons to ridiculous levels is great. My elven bow (flawless) is stronger than a glass one right now, at least until I get the glass crafting perk.

Although I feel as if shops' merchandise might actually be based on what you have the skills to craft OR what you have the skill to wear. Not sure either way, but it would make a weird sort of sense that shopkeepers don't show you ebony armor if your heavy armor skill sucks (read: You look like a speedy weakling).
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Bryan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Nazne wrote:You don't really have to stop adventuring - just buy all the smiths' steel/iron/leather whenever you have the money, and make tons of cheap stuff with them. Smithing levels up pretty quickly, too, and being able to improve armor and weapons to ridiculous levels is great. My elven bow (flawless) is stronger than a glass one right now, at least until I get the glass crafting perk.

Although I feel as if shops' merchandise might actually be based on what you have the skills to craft OR what you have the skill to wear. Not sure either way, but it would make a weird sort of sense that shopkeepers don't show you ebony armor if your heavy armor skill sucks (read: You look like a speedy weakling).
I would kill for some ebony armor in the shops right now, it's what I'm gearing for at the moment (though I will abandon it for some dragon armor!). I've actually noticed that it does seem to slightly regress the amount of experience towards the skill the more I create, but then again, that may also be my paranoia. One thing I have been doing as well is buying the crap out of all the little enchanted items so that I can imbue my flawless Orcish armor with all sorts of fun stuff (and weapons!).
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Nazne » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:53 am

Well, the fastest way to level up smithing would just be to buy iron ingots/leather strips whenever possible, and make all the iron daggers you can. It seems smithing is based on the number of items you make, not their quality, so training on Elven or more expensive stuff isn't really recommended, unless you actually found the ore/ingots yourself. (Hilariously, I promised myself not to get stuck on stupid crafting stuff like this, and then I realized I could improve armor and make bows do ridiculous damage.)

Imbue armor? Do you mean enchant, and are you going for the double-enchant perk?
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Nazne wrote:Well, the fastest way to level up smithing would just be to buy iron ingots/leather strips whenever possible, and make all the iron daggers you can. It seems smithing is based on the number of items you make, not their quality, so training on Elven or more expensive stuff isn't really recommended, unless you actually found the ore/ingots yourself. (Hilariously, I promised myself not to get stuck on stupid crafting stuff like this, and then I realized I could improve armor and make bows do ridiculous damage.)

Imbue armor? Do you mean enchant, and are you going for the double-enchant perk?
Yeah, I started off making nothing but iron and steel armor before I realized that iron daggers were not only cheaper, but only took 1 of each ingredient. I just reached level 80 in smithing last night, and am now in the process of mining some of that ebony ore. I'm a huge fan of not having to repair armor and weapons all the time, and love the fact that I can improve a weapon.

I did mean enchant, imbue just came more naturally I guess. Currently I'm in the process of leveling up enchanting through imbuing (see? there it is again) all those iron daggers that I've made and haven't sold off with petty and common soul gems and Absorb Health/Life. I want to get the double-enchant perk, but at the moment, I'm still around level 47, I think.
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Nazne » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:14 pm

I just leveled up smithing four times by making 31 daggers, and I was at level 80; smithing really does grow incredibly fast. (also looked up dragon armor - there are both light and heavy versions, which is nice. No dragon weapons, though.)

And I'd certainly *like* the double-enchant perk, but then again I'd like a great deal of other perks as well, especially since I need to be able to draw a bow faster if I want to not get killed when an enemy gets within melee range.
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Bryan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Bah, I'll focus on ranged with my next character. Right now I'm running through as a big ol' tank, although the occasional giant keeps me humble.
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Could do it in the same run.

I've ended up as a combined arms guy. Battle axe is my main but then I'll use a bow when needed. It is handy when fighting a dragon on a mountain path where it can't land to bite my head off.

I have DRAGONBANE! YEAH!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Bryan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm not sure if I even want to do everything on the same character, kind of want to split some of the choices between a few, you know? Combined with the new character feel that I get, I've never been one to have some uber character running around that has done everything. Not when I can have three different characters and project personalities and moralities on each. Ha, do I have some sort of problem?

Finally got enough Daedra hearts last night to make some armor and I must say, the Daedra helmet is one of the sexier ones in the game to me.
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven