Portal (orange box) - the ending

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Portal (orange box) - the ending

Unread postby Skode » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:06 pm

I'd like to say im starting to talk about the great game package that its the Orange Box but im gonna cut to the chase and ask you.... is Portals ending not THE greatest ending to a game ever :lol:

Im not gonna spoil it for those that havent finished it yet but you have to play it through to completion to see the ending at least once in your life - it only takes about 5 hours so be worth renting for a night.
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Portal (orange box) - the ending

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:30 am

Skode wrote:I'd like to say im starting to talk about the great game package that its the Orange Box but im gonna cut to the chase and ask you.... is Portals ending not THE greatest ending to a game ever :lol:

Im not gonna spoil it for those that havent finished it yet but you have to play it through to completion to see the ending at least once in your life - it only takes about 5 hours so be worth renting for a night.

Wait, I thought the Orange Box was just a compilation of a few games, it has it's own ending if you finish all of the games within or something?

EDIT: I see that you mentoned Portal, is there a special Orange Box-edition ending to the game?
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 am

There isn't.

Portal itself is probably the best thing to be released this year. The entire game is top class rightup to the ending.

Even the credits sequence doesn't fail to entertain you.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jeremy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:06 pm

It took me 3-4 hours. The ending was pretty fun. I tried doing it all over again to get the reward for getting rid of the security cameras, but on one of the levels where it had to load between in an elevator, somehow I got stuck below the elevator and had to quit >.>
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skode » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:35 pm

Ranbir wrote:There isn't.

Portal itself is probably the best thing to be released this year. The entire game is top class rightup to the ending.

Even the credits sequence doesn't fail to entertain you.

Yeah, class from start to finish. Its short but i heard that its just a tester so it could very well be a run to see how it was taken to before evolving it into a full blown game in its own right via a sequel (in fact i think it was in the commentry in the game that i heard that it was being used as a test run)
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 am

Ranbir wrote:Portal itself is probably the best thing to be released this year. The entire game is top class rightup to the ending.

Marc, third-person speaker, concurs!

On a side note, has anyone with Garry's Mod tried out the portal gun mod? I'm wondering if I should try it out.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Re: Portal (orange box) - the ending

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 am

Finished Portal 2 recently.

With hindsight, playing co-op before the single player was a mistake. The co-op mode was awesome and enjoyed trying to figure things out with my sister: it was like the first game with the fun puzzles, humour and now with a few new features and things altered to fit two players working together. Even with a nice story. I grew very fond of my blue character as it flew through the air and I had an obsession with spraying the orange stuff everywhere.

The first level of the single player is impressive and makes a great scene setter while introducing the amusing new character. Then, for me, it was lacking something for most of the first half. I think it was a mixture of single-player rarely matching a great co-op if it is the same game and sequel syndrome. The puzzles were a little less fun, I could see the story twists coming about five minutes before hand, it lacked the atmosphere that the first game span though it still had a great sense of humor. Second half
when. Major spoiler
Wheatley takes over and you end up deep underground
it changed. A new angle, a new perspective, a poignant story in an atmospheric arena, the puzzles once again gave me a great feeling when I worked something out (that or "how could I have missed that" if it took me awhile), twists that were harder to predict, still funny. It was a lot of fun in the second half and could even be quite moving, had a strong ending.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Return to Gamers’ Haven