Mount & Blade

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Mount & Blade

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:30 pm

The thread that won't die! To my fellow fans of this super-cool, inexpensive indie game, I wonder if any of you have played the recently-released version .890? I'm simply bewildered by all the new features.

To the uninitiated, why don't you play it as a demo and give it a try? It's a nonlinear, 3D medieval mounted combat game — what could be wrong with that?
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Here here, it's awesome!

Also, becareful if you use the troop modifer. While having 200 soldiers on screen at once sounds fun, it can cause major laggage if your computer isn't prepared for it.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Niahak » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:57 pm

I've restarted playing it too.

This Action/RPG/Strategy game is still awesome - even more so in .890.

Troops now actually use useful formations and don't do the dancing thing. The strategy map actions are much nicer, too. I really like this version.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:27 am

A question: why won't my faction's king give me quests anymore? Pre-.890, those quests were how you earned the bulk of your exp. and gold, by capturing noblemen and defeating raiders and the like.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:48 pm

I think I remember Andy trying this a while back.

I was going to download it to try it, but the transfer rate was a measly 6.5 kbs/sec. I'll try later when it's perhaps going a bit faster.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Niahak » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:12 pm

If you have a bittorrent client, there's a torrent of the game posted in the same thread where they have the download ( here ), and I got the whole thing in about 30 minutes. Not too shabby.

Tigger - I think they rebalanced EXP. I noticed I'm getting 100-200 xp per kill, which I think is a bit more than I used to. The trading system is also friendlier, which is quite nice. But yeah, they did away with all those quests :/ hopefully they'll bring back an easy way to get XP and money in the next patch.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:39 pm

I used the torrent too, it's way faster.

Niahak wrote:Tigger - I think they rebalanced EXP. I noticed I'm getting 100-200 xp per kill

Yeah I think you're right, I went from level 6 to level 11 or so in the course of one battle!
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:54 am

I found a link that downloads at a decent rate. Think Andy's torrenting it for himself.

I will return with comments when I get the thing! I've actually not played it before.

Edit: OK, guys, you have me totally hooked. Addicted, maybe!

Edit Edit: ... I'm stumped as to how to get quests.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:16 pm

New update to version 0.891...

Here's a repost for you guys if you don't want to put up with slowness:
Code: Select all
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8npi12
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:13 pm

I've downloaded this but haven't had an opportunity to play it yet.

I would highly recommend Bittorrent-ing it as well, it only took me 10 minutes to d/l it that way. 250 k/s is nice.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven