Scholars on WoW...

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Scholars on WoW...

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Do you recommend WoW? I read quite a lot about it, and the Blood Elf Priest appeals to me. But my experience with MMOs has been unpleasant.
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 pm

HowSwiftThySword wrote:Do you recommend WoW? I read quite a lot about it, and the Blood Elf Priest appeals to me. But my experience with MMOs has been unpleasant.

Well, yes and no. First of all, what bad experiences have you had with MMOs?

In my opinion, if you're going to play and MMO there is no reason to waste your time with anything else but WoW. It is the best out there, even if some others are still being played. It can be alot of fun, and has done pretty well raising the bar for all future MMOs. For instance, I've never had more fun in any MMO I've ever played that playing as a rogue in WoW. Just fun. All the classes (my bias against paladins aside) seem to be fun. What are you looking for in an MMO?

On the down side I would say this. The game has been out for awhile, so people joining now don't get the same kind of experience I did when I first started leveling (which Blizz has done a good job in helping you get up there quick to join the end-game fun now). It is also heavily time-consuming. Of course that being said, WoW has made it highly accessible/viable to casual gamers.

Wow, I started this thinking I could give you an objective pro and con of the game..but I think that is impossible .I've quit WoW now, but I still have a high respect for the game. If you want to a play an MMO, I'd suggest it above all others.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:33 pm

I've played Metin2 (major FAIL), RuneScape (another fail), Adventure Quest, DragonFable, MapleStory, EpicDuel, MechQuest, Talisman, and many other fails. I want an MMO with a huge number of classes and such, and that it won't be too high-end, because my computer is pretty average Joe, and so is my internet connection. I'm planning to play about an hour or two every other day, but if it's as fantastic as people say it is, I'll become a junkie.
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:04 pm

HowSwiftThySword wrote:I've played Metin2 (major FAIL), RuneScape (another fail), Adventure Quest, DragonFable, MapleStory, EpicDuel, MechQuest, Talisman, and many other fails. I want an MMO with a huge number of classes and such, and that it won't be too high-end, because my computer is pretty average Joe, and so is my internet connection. I'm planning to play about an hour or two every other day, but if it's as fantastic as people say it is, I'll become a junkie.

Ah. Well I've never played any of those (are some of those web-based). WoW isn't too performance demanding really but it does require at least 512, and I hate playing it on a comp with less tan 1gb. There is not a huge number of classes. I think there is 8 or 9 (off the top of my head, been a minute since i counted em. hit up the website to read about them all).

As far as one or two hours a day, thats is fine the game will still accomodate that as it can be played at your leisure. It may take awhile to hit 80(5) though.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 am

I would recommend WoW. It doesnt have the most classes out there, but its got quite a few. The gameplay is probably the best of any MMO. New people to MMOs cant go wrong with WoW or lord of the rings online. You could also try dungeons and dragons online now that its free.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:08 am

Separation Anxiety wrote:I would recommend WoW. It doesnt have the most classes out there, but its got quite a few. The gameplay is probably the best of any MMO. New people to MMOs cant go wrong with WoW

I agree with Separation Anxiety for two reasons:

1) He is right it is not filled with millions of classes like some of the old MMOs were. However, that really doesn't matter as alot of those were the same class with silly tweaks to give them a slight difference. Here they have taken all those classes and consolidated them into their proper prototypes. (Though I'm concerned about the homogenization of them at the current point, but that is a whole other story for another day.)

2) As far as MMOs go, WoW seems to me the most compatible with new players. It is isn't hard to pick up and it is fun. Add to that it is highly viable for casual gamers pre-end game content, and somewhat viable for casual gamers in the end-game content as well.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:35 am

So I've always been a bit of a LotRO girl at heart, I mean its Tolkien come on!! My partner though, he's been obsessed with WoW for 14/15 years!! So, he's bought me the game and now I've crossed over mainly because I enjoy playing WITH people and so I decided to join him!! I'm still knew to the lore but I'm learning it!! Although the guns or big machines can sometimes take me out of the Fantasy element but I'm getting used to it!!

If anyone wants to play that would be cool. Names SunXia on Battle Net. I know shocker!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven