Board games

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Board games

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Elitemsh wrote:I don't play board games now but i did quite regularly when i was much younger. Two games come to mind for me. Game of Life and Atmosphere (at least i think that's what it was called). They were great games when you're that young. After i started secondary school, board games somewhat lost their appeal for me. Video games took over completely.

Oh we loved Atmosphere. The humorously cheesy narrator, the little events and the time pressure. There was a pirate game like that as well

We have a decent collection, sometimes have a game afternoon with friends or a few hours when my father is on leave. I'm very good at Aquire but we also play things like Monopoly (awesome), Cluedo+Scrabble (not such a fan of either), Pictoinary, Qwirkle, Pass the Bomb, Scattergry, a mystery set in a Monastery and a few others.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Board games and tabletop gaming in general are enjoying [another] resurgence right now, so I thought it might be a good time to revive this topic. :)

Is anyone here interested in board games? Do you have any favourites on the go right now?

I've been seriously enjoying War Chest, which is a new abstract strategy game from AEG that has a lot of great tactical variation, and it's nicely balanced. We've got a little designer diary for it on This Old Neon but I'm planning on writing a more in-depth article now that I have several more sessions under my belt.

After getting bit by the abstract strategy bug, I picked up a copy of Hive. My friends have been buzzing about it, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Another one that's on my radar right now is Tiny Epic Galaxies. It's a nice portable strategy game that looks like it has a lot of depth.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Good thought on reviving this thread!

I got two new board games for Christmas. One is Ticket to Ride (the European version) which I really enjoy and Dominion which is a deck building game in a board game style. I have a long history with trading card games so it's my ideal board game!

Other than those two my two favourites are Lord of the Rings Risk and an old obscure one called Dread Pirate.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven