Board games

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:43 pm

My strategy at Monopoly is to buy Bond Street, Regent Street, Oxford Street, Mayfair and Park Lane. After, I buy houses and hotels :) Most players get bankrupt.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:58 am

I remember getting DIPLOMACY when I was four.

I lost the manual like, instantly and so it wasn't log I made my own rules in spirit of Civilization. A game I had gotten into within that same year or so.

It was brilliant.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:46 am

Lat night, my friends and I broke out the ol' Shogun (a.k.a. Samurai Swords), a Milton Bradley title from 1986. We had a good deal of fun with it. Lots of Ninja and Ronin action goin' on. Funny thing, my own base of power in the game developed just like the historical Mori clan during the Sengoku Jidai.

On a related thought, I really enjoy many titles in the Kosmos/Rio Grande company's two-player game series. Ticket to Ride is also good, light fun.
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:59 am

I really haven't played much board games until recently, and even then, that's sporadic.

When I was young, there were a few staple games I had though: Scrabble, Yahtzee, Sorry!, and Life (bleh.) The first three I adored. I wanted all sorts of other nifty games like Mouse Trap, Hungry Hungry Hippos!, and so on, but my parents couldn't dish out for them.

Nowadays, Scattegories is a fav (although I suppose it has no board...), Yahtzee and Scrabble are still at the top. There is also an occasional Clue game.

As for classic board games, I'm fairly good at checkers, and love cribbage (though I haven't played it in a while). I also used to be a fanatic about backgammon, but since lost interest. And chess? Hahah, I'm terrible.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:16 am

Rhiannon wrote:There is also an occasional Clue game...

You should check out 221B Baker Street, which is like super-Clue with a Sherlock Holmes motif.
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:38 pm

Is it 2 player friendly?
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 pm

I used to like complex board games (the more complex the better) nigh-on 20 years ago. I still have the original Civ (pre-Sid Meier) in its box with all the trading cards and stuff. Star Fleet Battles used to be all the rage as well.

The last board game I played was draughts against my 7 year old niece. I lost but she cheated.
"No more 200-yr-old flakes of parchment getting trapped in 'problem areas'..."
Liu Yuante
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:12 am

Rhiannon wrote:Is it 2 player friendly?

I would say it is a better game with 3 to 4 players. For 2-player games, check out the Rio Grande/Kosmos series for two players. (The titles run about $25 these days, although only a few years ago they were under $20.)
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Re: Board games

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Cold War: CIA vs. KGB from (I think) Fantasy Flight Games is an excellent two-player card game. Especially nostalgic for players who are my age or older! :) Here is a link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/24742

Also, this multi-player samurai-themed card game gets horrible reviews but is actually subtle and interesting: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/607
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Re: Board games

Unread postby Catalyst » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm sure that most people haven't seen the show, and even less have played the board game, but I would just like to throw out my praise for the Battlestar Galactica board game. If you enjoy games that are a little more complex, and if you're looking for a political/cooperative/intrigue/amazing based board game, it's the best I've ever played. Hands down. I have roughly $2000 worth of games sitting on shelf, but this is the only one that if someone asks me "can we play Battlestar" I will take it down without hesitation.

It balances the exact right amount of competitiveness (with your foes, the Cylons, who are players that are secret for a bit of time) with cooperation against constant threats generated by the Crisis Card mechanic. Secret skill card checks work to create a system where you can drastically overdo certain tasks or fall far short, and the constant suspicion creates a very exciting aura of tension and excitement. It's a game that you tell stories about, and it's a game where every play through will give some exciting, crazy story. Depending on whether you have the expansions or not, it's best with 5 or 6 people. No previous knowledge of the show is required (though the cards and board have enormous amounts of potential spoilers, so try to overlook all the flavor text/pictures if you intend to watch the show later). It's a very fun game and I highly recommend it.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven