Board games

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Board games

Unread postby Asellas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:05 pm

Do any of you play board games? If so, which ones? You got it, all of those typical questions. Oh, also, this could be discussion about games which are the most mind stimulating (or so the autocue says).
This isn't restricted to just Chess, drafts, backgammon, poker etc... this could involve Ludo, Monopoly.

I always find chess to be the most stimulating, and it also seems to be the best board game to reflect your life.

So, post away.

(as short as this is, I can't be bothered with formality, and it is a general thread).
Last edited by Asellas on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Catalyst » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:44 pm

This weekend we had a huge board game convention, so I got my fill for a while. Some personal favourites of mine are Axis and Allies (don't mess with me if I'm Germany, as you WILL lose :twisted: ), Gheos (basically a "god" game, build a world, things like that), Tsuro, Go, Chess, Stratego, and Descent. All of them are incredibly fun games, most of them requiring a lot of strategy, because I love strategy games.

Also, I tend to have a preference to more complex games. While I like the relative simplicity of Go and Chess (though I would say that they are games of great skill, often requiring a LOT of strategy), I prefer games that give me the ability to micromanage, or engage me in more ways than just one simple thing. I don't like to just move a piece and collect my money, or take another piece. It's too easy for me. 'Course, that's probably why I can't get many people to play with, since I always want to play the games with a giant tome of rules to go through :P
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:46 am

Man, I haven't played a real game of board game for so long!

Risk used to my favourite until I recently discovered Settlers of Catan, and I'm playing it so much online now. (Have yet to play a real board, though!) Chinese checkers are also a lot of fun.

I don't have the patience and attention span for chess.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Alucard » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:50 am

I haven't played board games with anyone in a long time. Games like Chess, Checkers, Backgammon can be played online, but it's not the same. I remember back in the day playing Stratego and Hero Quest. Fun times.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby FuguNabe » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:37 am

I like chess, shogi and go. I don't know if it can be called a board game (maybe a floor game) but Twisters is my fave, especially with ladies around to play. :wink:
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:37 am

I played in various junior chess tournements when I was in Twassen, and won some of them, but as I moved into a smaller community, it was impossible. Now all I play is Risk
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:29 am

Settlers is a good game, but unlike Lady Wu, I've only played on real boards.

With a friend of mine, I've designed and created a RTK Risk game board, so that and normal Risk are high up on my list of favourite board games. Some pictures of this board are posted in the SoSZ Facebook group. Maybe I'll post one here later.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 am

My favorite modern "board" game is probably Wiz-War. The game board changes in every game!
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Skode » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Good old Dungeons and Dragons, as well as Hero Quest Etc. With the family i play Monopoly, Cluedo and Risk. The DVD trivial pursuits are also quite a laugh when theres a crowd of you
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:04 pm

I'm a beast at Monopoly. My strategy is to always go for the utilities first, and then to hme in on property.

I -love- Risk. I played it for the first time at this Cadet Night for Jrotc. . .I'm addicted to it now!
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven