Favorite Cutscene (games)

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Favorite Cutscene (games)

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:36 pm

I don't know if ths has been mentioned before, but what was your favorite cutscene in all of gaming?? I did this in GS(Gamespot) and the fav there was the hero in God of War having sex with someone (I never played the game before).

One of my fav. cutscene is when Dante kills all those demons with a motorcycle in DMC3
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Anything from Alpha Centauri.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby King Kong Zhou » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:35 pm

Gotta go for the classics...

1) Final Fantasy VI - Cyan's despair when his wife and child depart on the Phantom Train.

2) Chrono Trigger - When the Nu (actually Belthazar's program within the Nu) asks you to flip off the switch on the Nu's stomach, so the Nu can sleep "beyond the flow of time".

3) Warcraft III: Frozen Throne - Arthas climbing the Frozen Throne.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Sir Winston Churchill
King Kong Zhou
Changshi

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 pm

3) Warcraft III: Frozen Throne - Arthas climbing the Frozen Throne.

I liked the one where Archimonde is defeated by a bunch of wisps bettter :lol:
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby King Kong Zhou » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Yeah, that one was very cool too. Other one worth mentioning would be when Thrall and Grom Hellscream fight Mannoroth.

But my favourite one is still the Arthas one. I can almost feel how cold that place is by watching that CG.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Sir Winston Churchill
King Kong Zhou
Changshi

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:45 am

Wow, good question. Most "spectacular" cutscenes are rather obvious ripoffs of old movies. I remember Starcraft as being especially guilty of this, but one scene was pretty good, the one where the Wraith pilots are chatting en route to their target. "So I sez, 'answer THAT and stay fashionable...'"

Another even older game, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, had some great ones. Maybe they should have used that as a script for the fourth movie.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:48 am

I remember Starcraft as being especially guilty of this, but one scene was pretty good, the one where the Wraith pilots are chatting en route to their target. "So I sez, 'answer THAT and stay fashionable...'"

I havent played the game in so long that I have no idea what cutscene you are talking about. When exactly during the campaign does this happen if you know?
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby tuffy135 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:45 am

I can't think very well right now, so I'll just put the first one that I can comes to mind that really amused me. In Bloodrayne, after you beat on of final bosses, she flips the dead boss off. After going through all of that, that was a great cutscene to follow that battle.
tuffy135
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:12 am

jebusrocks wrote:I havent played the game in so long that I have no idea what cutscene you are talking about. When exactly during the campaign does this happen if you know?

I'm almost certain it's in the Terran campaign, before the mission "New Gettysburg".

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCra ... onfederacy
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:06 pm

King Kong Zhou wrote:Gotta go for the classics...

1) Final Fantasy VI - Cyan's despair when his wife and child depart on the Phantom Train.

Very, very good call on that one. That one certainally didn't spring to mind at first, but is certainally worth mentioning. I remember feeling Cyan's pain when watching that for the first time :cry:

Another I must mention is the infamous FFVII clip of Sephiroth putting an end to Aeris. Admittedly, when I watched this for the first time I was surprised and a bit shocked at the end result. I was playing the game just as it goes along, I hadn't read any FAQ's on it, nor did I have any strategy guide for the game, I wanted everything to be a surprise to me, and well, it was!
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven