Favorite Cutscene (games)

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Favorite Cutscene (games)

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 pm

From Suikoden 5. By far my most favourite...and saddest. A massive major spoiler in case someone decides to play an old ps2 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPfAIFDenA

The voice acting is just amazing. Just listen to how Jamieson Price's voice trembles with grief at 3:15.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:44 am

There are a few that stick out in my memories. Beware of spoilers for old games, but not the newer ones.

In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, two scenes in particular stick out. During the Ice Cavern, there is a scene where Sheik teaches Link the Serenade of Water. Out of the 12 songs in the game, that one was my favorite, and the lines from Sheik are pretty meaningful. The second scene is right after the final boss, when Princess Zelda talks about her errors when her and Link where young, the tragedy that befell Hyrule, and how she fixes it by sending Link back to the past, in her words - "...Where you are supposed to be, the way you are supposed to be..." There's a moment, just before Link floats away where she opens her eyes and stares at you for a second, and then the camera pans up. Even in old N64 graphics, it's a great scene.

Final Fantasy X has several great scenes, and is the best FF of any I've played (1, 7, 8, 10, 12, Tactics Advance). My favorite scene is towards the end right after the big revelation.
Final Fantasy X Major Spoilers
Right after Yunalesca tells the party that the fayth (soul) of the final aeon (summon) requires a guardian of Yuna's to give their life, you see a memory of when Braska, Auron, and Jecht were there 10 years ago. Right after that, Lulu (possibly my favorite character), steps up and says "If you need one of us to become a fayth...I volunteer." It's an emotionally charges scene that doesn't go too overboard on the drama.

As much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls - entire games that are like very long cutscenes - nothing in particular sticks out.

The opening cutscene to Anno 1404, an economic strategy game, is absolutely fantastic. That art style (is it watercolor?) is just great to look at.

I'm sure there are tons others, but that's all I can think of for now.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Human5 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am

Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:54 pm

My favorite was the main menu title screen cut scene opening of Suikoden 1.

Honorable mention: The main menu title screen cut scene of Wild Arms 1 prelogue, and also the Knights of The Old Republic cutscene, where you find out that YOU are actually Revan. Awesome stuff.
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven