Mixed Martial Arts

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Mixed Martial Arts

Unread postby Mikhail » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:47 am

Wow. I don't think BJ Penn even showed up today. Rush just destroyed him without any real resistance. I don't think anyone could beat him right now. His preparation and his athleticism is just unparalleled in the sport. Still couldn't land the backflip though, but I'm sure that it won't hurt his status as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Exar Kun » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Ouch. But at the end of the day I don't think those punches hurt as hard as the hammer that connected with BJ's ego. That was complete and utter domination. Hopefully he'll realize now that he needs to stay at lightweight. But knowing BJ he'll probably bulk up and want a rematch *facepalm*

Have to mention...MACHIDA! Guy looked crazy good and put in a quality win there. Of course once again it looks like he's gonna get snubbed by Dana who said he's waiting to see Rampage fight Jardine first. Translation: Rampage gets it if he wins, otherwise it's Machida. I expect them to try to derail him with one more fight if not he gets the shot late this year. And keeps the title forever.

As far as p4p, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Penn is a fantastic fighter but he's still a true lightweight. I don't take anything from GSP after all Penn did hold the WW title but still. Nothing in that fight changed my opinion that Fedor is still the king of the hill.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 pm

I called it. Round 4 TKO for GSP. BJ just had nothing for Georges in this fight, and training or lack there of had nothing to do with it. GSP during the fight had at least 10-12 pounds on Penn, and it showed. I am glad for this result, and even though I am a big fan of both fighters I'm glad GSP won this. Now BJ can go back to 155 where he belongs and is by far the best LW in the world, it's time to give Kenny Florian another title shot. I think BJ will take it, but it won't be as easy as his defense against Joe Stevenson. The only thing that concerns me about BJ is what his mindset will be like after the loss, that was a tough one to swallow, to be utterly dominated like that.

Also, have any of you heard about this supposed Vaseline incident? My take on it is that the particular cornerman who rubbed it on Georges's back after the 2nd round should never be allowed to corner a fight ever again, whether it was intentional or not. I firmly believe it had no real impact on the fight, but still such things cannot be allowed to happen ever again. Thankfully it wasn't anything as bad as Akiyama/Sakuraba, where the decision was actually (and rightfully) changed to a NC. If it were really that bad, BJ would have complained to Herb Dean and those in his corner, but there was none of that, it had NO impact on the fight.

As for Lyoto, wow, just wow. He must have heard the calls that his remarkable elusive style wasn't going to put him in good graces with the common uneducated fan who thought he was just "boring" when in actuality his standup is a beautiful thing to watch. He's the best counterstriker in the game, and easily dispatched of the undefeated Thiago Silva, who is no pushover for anyone, but his style ran right into Lyoto's advantages. He'll probably get one more fight for the title, and probably gets it if Jardine somehow beats Rampage. If not that, then when Page destroys Keith "Techno Viking Nosferatu Vampire" Jardine he'll get the shot at Rashad Evans. If that goes down, I could see Lyoto vs Forrest to determine who will get the next shot. Forrest will have nothing for Lyoto and it'll be an easy win for the Dragon.

Jon Jones is going to be a star in the next year or so. Stephan Bonnar is little more than a gatekeeper but isn't a pushover for anyone, and Jones threw him around like a sack of potatoes. It was great to watch.

Does anyone here watch the Dana White video blogs? I absoltuely love watching them, just to see the interaction between fighters, what goes on behind the scenes of the PPV's, etc... This last one from Saturday is most interesting, you can see Chuck Liddell talking to Frank Mir and Dana about the vaseline incident immediately following the fight. You could also see Dana telling Rashad and David Loiseau about it. Rumor has it is that it was Chuck who told a NSAC member about the cornerman rubbing some vaseline on Georges back. Anyway, check it out.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2PmSss_h4
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:01 am

I thought training had a lot to do with the BJ/Georges fight. Georges trained. BJ, um, didn't. Or at least, he didn't surround himself with people who make him better.

I'm a big BJ Penn fan, but it's hard to be high on BJ's last fight; he went after the best welterweight in the world with a gameplan. What else can you say, you know?
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Mikhail » Sun May 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Machida was the man last night. His striking was incredibly precise and Evans could do nothing against it. I'm quite happy that Evans didn't win. I don't rate him highly, even though he's beaten Liddell and Griffin, but that's probably mostly because I got sick of fighting him in the video game. I'm incredibly pleased that a discipline that has mostly fallen away from mainstream MMA fighting was so successful yesterday and I do hope that when Machida said that karate was on the way back, it'll be true.

Hughes and Serra wasn't as exciting as I thought, but very nice all around. I thought Serra could have won if he decided to actually be aggressive on the ground instead of waiting for them to return to stand-up. His headbutt probably gave him confidence to keep it up, but when he himself tried to be aggressive on the takedown, he was ultimately very successful. Unfortunately it happened too late.

The rest of the fights were ok. Sherk was absolutely schooled and I really thought he'd come away an easy victor, probably because I had never heard of his opposition. Too bad Sherk tried keeping it up where his short arms and slow movement hindered his striking against the faster and more mobile opponent. The third fight was good. I like confidence, but the way Professor X was dancing during his entrance and seemingly not taking the fight and his opponent seriously, I found it only fitting that he was out in 37 seconds.

Overall I thought the PPV was good. I can't wait for UFC 100, but I'll gladly be patient if it means seeing Wanderlei knock some guy out!
Mikhail

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Mon May 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Karate FTMFW!!!

Lyoto was beyond impressive Saturday Night, and has to be top 4 P4P now amongst the likes of Fedor, GSP, and Andy. Loto has Rampage next, to which he'll do the same as he did Rashad, with perhaps a less vicious KTFO.

What surprised me is how Sherk implemented yet ANOTHER stupidass gameplan against Frankie Edgar. Sherk's standup is just poor, with his T-Rex arms and lack of power and accurracy he needs to go back to his wrestling ways. It would have been tough wrestling Edgar, but he's the more accompished and bigger wrestler, he should have gone for more takedowns. Edgar's standup is VERY impressive, his footwork and accurracy impressed the hell out of me. If it weren't for his loss to Gray Maynard he'd be getting the next LW shot after Florian.

Hughes/Serra. zzzzzz I knew the fight was going to be like that. Hughes wants to keep fighting though, and against the Thiago Silvas of the world he'll continue to get destroyed.

BTW-Love it how Gomi came back hard against Shooto LW Champ Nakakura last week. People were saying he was 'done', and this was proving everyone wrong about the Fireball Kid. I love it!

Oh, and quick note to Mikail above, Wandy is facing Rich Franklin at UFC 99, not 100, at a catchweight of 195. I like both guys, but I'm favoring Ace.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Project Oni » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 am

A real warrior's fight for Wandy at UFC99, though it just wasn't enough for the win. I'm really feeling for him after all these losses; maybe everyone is just adapting to Wandy's style, and so he can't seek out as many opportunities to use his more dangerous weapons. I hope he'll start to pick things up after he drops down to middleweight. :devil:
Project Oni
Initiate

Unread postby Mikhail » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:51 am

I enjoyed UFC 100.

The Akiyama/Belcher wasn't too good, but I was happy that a fellow Asian won. It started off fine, but the pace slowed greatly near the end. I always love a good superman punch, and using the cage to prop him forward was a nice piece of improvisation.

Henderson/Bisping was fun as well. That was an incredible overhand right and it he was absolutely dominating on all fronts. Bisping wasn't doing anything of note, and that cheap shot at the end was funny, though probably undeserved. I had Hendo winning this fight, and I'm glad I was right.

GSP/Alves was almost boring because it was such a one sided fight. I'm a GSP fan (as a fellow Canadian) but it seemed like he's just TOO dominating. All those takedowns were just incredible and I thought Alves might have stood a chance if he didn't get scared to throw those kicks, but it was unanimous.

The gem was definitely the Lesnar/Mir fight. Not as explosive as one would like, but Lesnar's game plan was perfectly executed. His power is just too frightening and he's definitely just too strong. I actually laughed at the boos Lesnar was getting, and Lesnar's reactions to it. Lesnar received nothing but boos in WWE so it doesn't faze him at all. His candidness in the post-fight interview might be something that will draw even more fans to him. If he gets marketed as the most powerful and most hated man in MMA, it could draw even more PPV buys in his next fight. Mir will bounce back, but I'm not sure how far he goes down and how far he is from a rematch.

The Fitch/Thiago fight might seem a bit anti-climactic since it follows some awesome fights, but it was still a good fight nonetheless. Very good technically even though the action wasn't as frantic, the styles and fighters complimented each other well. Nothing could be done to achieve the victory without the judges, but Fitch did really well to try to outdo Thiago, especially in the last 2 rounds.

My picks all won today so I'm happy. But then again, it's hard to lose when you pick all the favourites.
Mikhail

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:03 pm

I can't say I cared for Lesnar's antics. One of the best things about MMA is how respectful fighters are to each other after a fight and he just acted a fool.
I hope someone knocks his stupid ass out next year (and hammers him when he's out a la Hendo), be it Fedor or Carwin.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Exar Kun wrote:I can't say I cared for Lesnar's antics. One of the best things about MMA is how respectful fighters are to each other after a fight and he just acted a fool.
I hope someone knocks his stupid ass out next year (and hammers him when he's out a la Hendo), be it Fedor or Carwin.

Well, its obviously a split camp. People loved (or hated, however you want to look at it) Tito's antics, but it brought a lot people to the sport just to see this guy get knocked out. If you think about it though, its just one time so far for Lesnar. When he beat Herring and Couture, he was calm and relatively good.

It's hard to celebrate avenging your first and only loss when the crowd will boo you, regardless of what he did.
Mikhail

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven