Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Diamond/Pearl. Excited?

Hellz yes Zeke, I am!
71%
No, I think it looks crappy!
14%
I'm a bit too old for pokemon..
14%

Total votes : 28

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:48 am

Ezekiel wrote:I was surprised how cool shiny version look of some pokemon. Like...the black Charizard. How is obtaining that even possible???

I think you have to breed them- multiple times. I only have one shiny pokemon and that is grimmer.

Can you trade with the previous pokemon games?
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Jason » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 am

Pi Ka Chu wrote:
Ezekiel wrote:I was surprised how cool shiny version look of some pokemon. Like...the black Charizard. How is obtaining that even possible???

I think you have to breed them- multiple times. I only have one shiny pokemon and that is grimmer.

Can you trade with the previous pokemon games?

Yes, every pokemon can be traded into this game. As far as I know, no restrictions
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Aquinas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:16 am

Exar Kun wrote:Grrr...oh to hell with it. I'll buy a gameshark and hack the pokemon in. :D
You could also just trade for them over wifi. If you just want to fill in their pokedex entry then I imagine that there would be people willing to trade and then trade back their legendaries as well. You will never have to purchase another game to obtain specific pokemon now that there's a wifi trading solution.
You have a 1 in 8192 chance to either catch, receive or breed a shiny pokemon. I have two (an ariados and a linoone) and they both suck. The only difference is a palette swap. It isn't worth the effort.
Ezekiel wrote:Yeah, I may do the same after a playthru. It'll take forever to get like...7 Eevee's :x
How would it "take forever" to obtain 7 eevees? If you have one then you can simply breed 6 more. You won't have to restart 7 times to obtain 7 eevees or anything like that.
Ezekiel wrote:Yes, every pokemon can be traded into this game. As far as I know, no restrictions
The only restrictions that are imposed would be:

-The pokemon can't have an HM move (use the move deleter to get rid of them and then simply re-add them once transferred).
-The pokemon has to have a viable moveset, base stats and EVs/IVs.

Nintendo has clamped down on things in the Japanese version due to some people hacking illegal movesets and stats that go above the pokemon's limits. I assume that they do the same sort of thing that they did in the GCN games and flag an illegal pokemon. Said pokemon would be unable to compete in battles or tournaments over wifi. These changes will obviously be carried over to the other regions as well.

Having said that, there's absolutely no way to detect a hacked pokemon as long as it falls within certain, realistic parameters. Such a pokemon doesn't give somebody an unfairly competitive edge though, so they are not really considered a threat. I have nothing against somebody hacking in a bunch of pokemon if they just do it to fill out their pokedex (such as rare legendaries), but I would refuse to battle against them (obvious hacked pokemon; not the actual person).
Aquinas
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:20 am

I got my friend to trade a newborn Eevee to his Emerald, and clone it a few times for me. That way i can get them and evolve them. Or get him to evolve the few he can for me. I LOVE Eevee
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 am

It looks pretty cool, but I've never played a Pokemon game or watched any episode of the show, and I really don't see myself starting now. For those a fan of the series, it looks like a very good addition however. The whole Pokemon infatuation by consumers lasted a LOT longer than I first gave it credit for, and it looks to still be pretty hot. I personally never saw what the hype was about, but I really can't say anything about that because I'm a DBZ fan :wink:
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jedi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:22 am

I'm too old for the Show but not too old for the games! eevee Can Change into a Dragon hopefully that would be tight.
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:05 am

Jedi wrote:I'm too old for the Show but not too old for the games! eevee Can Change into a Dragon hopefully that would be tight.

No. It's new forms are Leaf and Ice.

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby FuguNabe » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:12 am

All I can say you're never too old to play Pokemon (heck I'm 29yo). Those generally with something against pokemon either don't like JRPG or have some insecurities. The only other reason is because they've never had a Nintendo handheld to play it on (shame on you if fit in this category and call yourself a gamer). Seriously it's cute, addictive, and fun.
Cynicism in my lyricism? Life has been series of questions and sessions of lessons to enhance my essence...

Knowledge is god as despite my iaido skills my pen is is mightier than my sword...

With a tongue to match my wit your mental death swift...
FuguNabe
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: You'd find me at some karaoke drinking and singing with ladies on the weekend

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Here, here. :)

I've restarted Emerald again, something to play at work, gets me in the mood for D/P, and lets me start prepping some Pokemon to transfer. Reading through all the details on some of the evos on serebii.net, I kind of feel like D/P is the ultimate in Pokemon games - really feels like it's far more expansive and detailed than any other.

I argue though that Diamond has a much better "exclusive" list than Pearl.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Jedi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:25 pm

Oh Yeah I forgot about this guy in my Ruby verson I just checked today I havent played a pokemon game in a while. My Blazeakin Nicknamed Sun Ce is lv 100 with the moves Sky uppercut, FlameThrower, OverHeat , and Blaze Kick.
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven