Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Diamond/Pearl. Excited?

Hellz yes Zeke, I am!
71%
No, I think it looks crappy!
14%
I'm a bit too old for pokemon..
14%

Total votes : 28

Re: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Unread postby LittleDragonZ » Sat May 17, 2008 12:43 pm

johnsonwinterberry wrote:yea i pokemon is pretty cool ive finished my sisters diamond game. it is just so easy though

This might bring good news to you if you want a bit more of a challenge, but the new remake has been announced: Pokemon Platinum. It will basically be both Diamond and Pearl combined and with a few extra features as always.
Behold the spear of Little Dragon!
LittleDragonZ
Scholar

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Does anybody still play it?

I got this for the plane ride when I went to Germany/Austria, and I got hooked! Right now I'm remaking my team, doing the ev-training and all that other fun stuff. Gengar is my favorite pokemon, but he's not that good. I might remove him at some point, but for now I'm keeping him for his godly special attack. While I was ev-ing up his speed, he also got +10 speed during a level-up, which is the most bonus I've ever gotten I think.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:21 am

Funny that you should revive this thread now. I'm just putting my copy of Pearl up for sale as we speak. The game's just not for me. I thought I'd give it a chance, since I'd never played a pokeymanz game, but I can't get into it. I can definitely see that it's one of those games that's only rewarding if you sink 500+ hours into it, and I don't want that kind of commitment from a portable game.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm not getting much playtime myself either. I liked the originals but I just can't be doing with trying to manage and play around with more than the original 150 creature set. I just don't relate to most of these new creatures which makes it all the more harder to enjoy using them.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:53 am

A lot of pokemon irritate me. Why the hell Gamefreak would think anybody would be inspired to catch a weasel with a floatation device is beyond me. However, there are many good things about Diamond/Pearl:

1.) The story is a helluva lot better than it was in Red/Blue. Team Galactic is a lot better than Team Rocket in almost every way.

2.) 400+ Pokemon and, while a lot of them are boring, there is certainly at least a handful (at least) to like in every generation. And you can get your hands on all of them much easier than you could in previous games.

3.) Online makes it easy to trade/battle.

4.) The original pokemon was a lot more shallow with types and moves. As time has gone on, many new moves have been implemented to the game to make it more strategic. These moves range from manipulating the weather to gain a distinct advantage to cutting your HP to make substitutes to protect yourself. Even attack moves are more strategic. A level 1 starly can now beat a level 100 pokemon, which never would have been the case in a previous game. Don't believe me? Try this strategy:

-Equip starly with focus sash.
-Use endeavor
-On turn 2 use quick attack
-You win.

The game is not for everybody, but apparently it's for me. >.>
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:32 am

You're not alone, SlickSlicer. I really like the game. I don't plan on getting caught up in the tournament scene, but even then there's no harm in that. It is interesting to read about Gabriel at PennyArcade through their comics and always makes me chuckle. I do like to breed my favorite Pokémon, though, to see how good I can make them. I like Zigzagoon and Linoone very much so I put a lot of effort into making him useful through the game (and I've become pretty good about it). I don't care at all for a large number of the Pokémon and have quite a few favorites among the old ones, but there are plenty across all generations I enjoy. They are the ones I play with while going through the game.

It is all good harmless fun. :)

Kong Wen mentioned a concern with investing that much time into the game—I get involved a bit in the more advanced stuff and appreciate that level of depth, but I don't go overboard. If you're able to do that it adds a lot to the game without turning it against you.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:48 am

I don't plan on entering tournaments either, but I am going to toy around with the online a bit.

My favorite pokemon of all times is Gengar, and whaddya know? He's on my team. I don't bother with the legendaries because I just don't like most of them (Palkia and Dialga were actually cool, but in my opinion legendaries are cheap in general to have on one's team). All the pokemon on my team are ones that I personally like, and that includes the final evolution of the meme-renowned mudkip (who's from a game I didn't even play; unless you count Colosseum. He's the only third-gen character on my team, actually).

Zigzagoon and Linoone are kinda neat. Linoone reminded me a lot of Furret when I first saw it.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:23 am

SlickSlicer wrote:My favorite pokemon of all times is Gengar, and whaddya know? He's on my team. I don't bother with the legendaries because I just don't like most of them (Palkia and Dialga were actually cool, but in my opinion legendaries are cheap in general to have on one's team). All the pokemon on my team are ones that I personally like, and that includes the final evolution of the meme-renowned mudkip (who's from a game I didn't even play; unless you count Colosseum. He's the only third-gen character on my team, actually).

I didn't care for either Palkia or Dialga. I said some mean things about them which I cannot repeat on the forum. I did like Kyogre, though, and going back I'm a fan of the legendary dogs (particularly Entei). Most of my favorites are pretty standard characters though. I almost always have a Gyarados in my party (in my main game it is the red Gyarados, one of my favorites), and a Metagross, which is my favorite Pokémon of all. It helps that both of them became meaner in the latest versions. Linoone is around, too. I really like Alakazam. Oh, and I liek the Mudkipz too!

SlickSlicer wrote:Zigzagoon and Linoone are kinda neat. Linoone reminded me a lot of Furret when I first saw it.

I decided I liked him because of how impossibly cute Zigzagoon is. Linoon I like just because he's so fast while playing normally. I think Trapinch is cute too, but I don't like what he evolves into at all.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 am

I didn't care for either Palkia or Dialga. I said some mean things about them which I cannot repeat on the forum. I did like Kyogre, though, and going back I'm a fan of the legendary dogs (particularly Entei). Most of my favorites are pretty standard characters though. I almost always have a Gyarados in my party (in my main game it is the red Gyarados, one of my favorites), and a Metagross, which is my favorite Pokémon of all. It helps that both of them became meaner in the latest versions. Linoone is around, too. I really like Alakazam. Oh, and I liek the Mudkipz too!

Alakazam is a godly pokemon. I've always thought that him and gengar sort of cancel each other out. They are each very, very similar, and both of them land super-effective type-bonused hits on each other. In a battle between them, the one with the greater speed almost always wins.

Metagross is neat too. I like him a helluva lot more than Bronzong, due to metagross being some kind of supercomputer, which is pretty cool.

The main reason I like Palkia and Dialga is because of the awesome way they were introduced. Mewtwo just kind of stood around waiting for you to catch him in red. Ho-Oh and Lugia basically did the exact same thing. Palkia and Dialga, however, were summoned in a very epic way, nearly destroying Sinnoh with their powers. As Pokemon, I actually think they are weak for legendaries. However, I like their role in the plot. I never played ruby/sapphire, and that's why I can't speak for kyogre or groudon.

That's awesome that you have a red gyrados. I have yet to ever see a shiny pokemon in any pokemon game. :(

I decided I liked him because of how impossibly cute Zigzagoon is. Linoon I like just because he's so fast while playing normally. I think Trapinch is cute too, but I don't like what he evolves into at all.

For me, mudkip is the cutest pokemon. I don't know what trapinch is, but zigzagoon is pretty cute too. I tried to get one over gts yesterday, but people were asking for ridiculous things for it (boy what a surprise that was...ridiculous offers on the gts? Never! :roll: )
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:39 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Metagross is neat too. I like him a helluva lot more than Bronzong, due to metagross being some kind of supercomputer, which is pretty cool.

I love everything about Metagross. I've even got this little plastic Metagross Pokémon (which I fished out of a random machine by spending around $8) on top of my computer (he's kickin' it with Motoko Kusanagi) and a bigger plastic one near the television which speaks when you press down on him. I've also got a little plastic Zigzagoon somewhere. Nearly all of these things are gifts. :)

The main reason I like Palkia and Dialga is because of the awesome way they were introduced. Mewtwo just kind of stood around waiting for you to catch him in red. Ho-Oh and Lugia basically did the exact same thing. Palkia and Dialga, however, were summoned in a very epic way, nearly destroying Sinnoh with their powers. As Pokemon, I actually think they are weak for legendaries. However, I like their role in the plot. I never played ruby/sapphire, and that's why I can't speak for kyogre or groudon.

I came upon the Pokémon scene much later than other folks, so Mewtwo was already old news when I started playing (between Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald). He just sort of waited in a cave for you to go and find him—nothing too spectacular. But I watched the movies, and once you've seen them, he's had all the introduction he needs. :)

Kyogre and Groudon had a similar introduction (as did Rayquaza).

That's awesome that you have a red gyrados. I have yet to ever see a shiny pokemon in any pokemon game. :(

I've found a few. It isn't too terrible to come across at least one if you learn to do that grass hunting trick with the Pokéradar (or whatever it is called). I didn't expect I would find one which I liked so much, though, and I was especially surprised to find out he came with a cool nature.

That was when he was a mimi. I leveled him to 100 a while ago.

For me, mudkip is the cutest pokemon. I don't know what trapinch is, but zigzagoon is pretty cute too. I tried to get one over gts yesterday, but people were asking for ridiculous things for it (boy what a surprise that was...ridiculous offers on the gts? Never! :roll: )

Haha... are you serious? For a Zigzagoon? I don't remember how hard they are to come across in Diamond/Perl, but in Emerald you can find them under every rock right at the start of the game. Linoone is also easy to find later on, which makes breeding one trivial. Does anybody post normal trades online? I haven't actually bothered with that yet.

Trapinch appears in desserts. It has a tiny body and a huge round head.

— Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven