Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Diamond/Pearl. Excited?

Hellz yes Zeke, I am!
71%
No, I think it looks crappy!
14%
I'm a bit too old for pokemon..
14%

Total votes : 28

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:01 am

Jedi wrote:Ok which one should I trade out and what do you recomend on the new pokemons type?

Think of a Pokémon type you have trouble with. If so, add a counter.
If not, add a Pokémon that brings new types to your group and learn what its own types are particularly effective against.

Are you building a team to fight against other people?
You <i>need</i> diversity.

Are you building a team to play in the game?
You really don’t need to worry much about these things.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Aquinas » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:16 pm

This'll be quick and dirty, so my suggestions will not be as thought out as what I'd use myself, but just off of the top of my head to demonstrate a point (my actual team was planned back in October 2006 and has been continually tweaked since then (and will continue to be so):

Use this website: http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pe ... m_builder/

To figure out your team's defensive strengths and weaknesses. Once you have good defensive typings lined up for team members then make sure they compliment each other with movesets that work to their strengths and effectively plug up any of their obvious weaknesses with type coverage (A good example of this would be a weavile using aerial ace to take out fighting pokemon, which will be his greatest threat due to his 4x fighting weakness).

If you use that tool, then you'll notice (when inputting all of the final evolutions) that you have four pokemon weak to ground. Earthquake is one of the most common attacks in the game (due to it being capable of being paired with rock or ice attacks for great type coverage).
Your next weakness is electric, since Empoleon's steel typing doesn't resist it and Gyarados has a 4x weakness to it.

Some quick examples: Gyarados is your strongest pokemon, and if it is using dragon dance then it is capable of slaughtering teams if they aren't prepared for him. Due to his 4x electric weakness, most people will opt to take him out with an electric attack. You can actually use this to your advantage by replacing one of your electrics with an Electivire. Gyarados is sent out, they send in something to counter with an electric attack, and then you switch to Electivire who'll end up taking that electric attack and using its ability motor drive to gain a speed boost. Nobody wants to face a speed boosted Electivire, so having him on a team with gyarados will make people think twice about using electric attacks to stop gyarados.

I'd then go about fixing your ground problem. Replace Pikachu with a levitating ghost, like Mismagius or Gengar. Not only will they be immune to ground, but they'll also provide your team with additional immunity to normal and fighting attacks. I'd replace Rapidash with something that is not weak to ground as well.

The next part that you'll want to worry about is a list of movesets. There are many typing pairs, such as fighting and ghost or electric and ice which'll hit almost everything (with a few exceptions, but it'll provide you with 99% coverage) at least neutral for damage. Don't focus on just STAB attacks (Gengar is a good example of this: He is STAB with ghost and poison, but poison is such a poor offensive type that it isn't worth it to have something like sludge bomb on him, since he would make better usage of that moveslot with something not STAB) and also never have attacks of the same type on a pokemon due to redundancy (ie: flamethrower and fire blast on the same pokemon, but having both ghost and dark attacks also falls in this category as well). You want to hit as many things as you can with a moveset. A normal pokemon with only normal attacks will get walled by rocks, steels and ghosts, for example, but strapping on a dark and ground/fighting attack will allow him to threaten about everything while still retaining a STAB normal attack and leaving an open moveslot for a status, stat upping or recovery move.
Aquinas
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:04 am

I just snagged a copy of this game with my DS. First time ever playing a pokeymans game. It seems like a cute little RPG so far. I don't think I'll ever care enough to get into frightening detail about collecting and team-tweaking, etc. But I'm having some fun. :)
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby James » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:11 am

Kong Wen wrote:I just snagged a copy of this game with my DS. First time ever playing a pokeymans game. It seems like a cute little RPG so far. I don't think I'll ever care enough to get into frightening detail about collecting and team-tweaking, etc. But I'm having some fun. :)

I still get really excited about new Pokémon releases. :)

I’m so glad my California family got me into this game.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:35 am

James wrote:I still get really excited about new Pokémon releases. :)

I’m so glad my California family got me into this game.

I added your code to my pal pad or whatever the heck it is. Now we can exchange pokeymans.
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby James » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:56 am

Kong Wen wrote:I added your code to my pal pad or whatever the heck it is. Now we can exchange pokeymans.

Keen. Anything you're looking for?

I haven't played in a little while but I've been itching to pick it up again. I need to finish training my Red Gyarados! I never thought I would see one of them, let alone one with good attributes. I'm still rebuilding my poor team after my favorite copy of Emerald vanished with most of my best pokeymans. :|
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:21 am

James wrote:Keen. Anything you're looking for?

I'm not looking for anything quite yet. I'm still content to play through the game collecting the pokeymans I can get my mitts on and just levelling and evolving them as I go. I don't want to do anything that might unbalance the game until I move into the collection/building phase.

James wrote:I haven't played in a little while but I've been itching to pick it up again. I need to finish training my Red Gyarados! I never thought I would see one of them, let alone one with good attributes.

Ask, you mean these critters come with different stats? One more thing for crazy perfectionists to be completist about, I suppose. ;) The idea of rare colours was enough to turn my stomach.
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Jedi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:37 am

Kong Wen wrote:
James wrote:Keen. Anything you're looking for?

I'm not looking for anything quite yet. I'm still content to play through the game collecting the pokeymans I can get my mitts on and just levelling and evolving them as I go. I don't want to do anything that might unbalance the game until I move into the collection/building phase.

James wrote:I haven't played in a little while but I've been itching to pick it up again. I need to finish training my Red Gyarados! I never thought I would see one of them, let alone one with good attributes.

Ask, you mean these critters come with different stats? One more thing for crazy perfectionists to be completist about, I suppose. ;) The idea of rare colours was enough to turn my stomach.

I have a Green Peliper on my Ruby verison I gotta give it to my Diamond Verison

Oh Yeah my New party! sorry if I spell the pokemons names wrong

Lucario(Videl) Lv 58
Empoleon(Falco) Lv 59
Dialga(Dragoon) Lv 60
Blazakin(Sun Ce) Lv 100 (I got this one from my Ruby verison)
Glacion is that how you spell the ice eevees name? well anyways the nickname(Cooler) Lv 50
Driftloon(Floon) Lv 48

what do you think? I thought It was a pretty good party I I have to make everone a little closer level wise still though lol
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Unread postby LittleDragonZ » Sun May 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Haha, you have Sun Ce! For some reason I've never been a fan of changing their names, I did a few times when I started a new file etc, but still never really liked the idea, or the fact of getting bored of the names and not being able to find another decent one.
Behold the spear of Little Dragon!
LittleDragonZ
Scholar

Re: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Unread postby johnsonwinterberry » Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 am

yea i pokemon is pretty cool ive finished my sisters diamond game. it is just so easy though
if you dont like bodyboarding you wont like me.
johnsonwinterberry
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven