Mass Effect (360) - SPOILERS

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed May 07, 2008 12:25 pm

So aside from being total jerks by providing a PC version with all the fixes the 360 version will never get plus free content...

They've gone ahead to be even more annoying to their fans by having one of the dumbest protection systems around.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=137441

It seems Stardock are the only developers/publishers in existence left on this planet that actually treat their customers right.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed May 07, 2008 5:05 pm

The only people those "protection systems" affect are pirates. Bioware's not doing anything wrong to their actual customers, just those who try to steal from them.

It'd be great if these kinds of steps weren't needed, but they are. The blame should be levied at the software pirates, not the companies who just want to protect their investments.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed May 07, 2008 6:16 pm

DRM doesn't affect pirates at all. Not one iota. It affects the paying customer. Protection systems like this have failed since the beginning. They simply do not work. Pirates will bypass this in a matter of days while the regular folk will have to tolerate it for as long as they want to play and delude themselves into thinking they actually own the game they paid for.

Crysis didn't sell bad because of hackers, but because Crytek didn't look at their market and notice that their game wouldn't be run on the majority of PCs out there. How many high-end rigs do you think that are out there capable of running the game? Even after Crytek admitted the game was designed for future PCs? They could have even just taken a gander the Steam Hardware surveys and seen Crysis would chug for the majority of gamers out there. Instead, Crytek blame piracy - how convenient!

If companies want to protect their investment they should stop focusing on the pirates. Focus on the customer, the one that actually is willing to pay them money. Reward them. It's a step Stardock has taken and suited them and more importantly us - the gamer. Sins of a Solar Empire has sold magnificently, #1 at retail in first few weeks - despite having no protection at all and being an RTS in a sci-fi genre.

http://forums.galciv2.com/303512

The reason why we don't put CD copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count. We know our customers could pirate our games if they want but choose to support our efforts. So we return the favor - we make the games they want and deliver them how they want it. This is also known as operating like every other industry outside the PC game industry.

EA needs to stop focusing so much on pirates and instead divert their attention to the poor souls that still let go of their money to support them. It will be no surprise MEPC will have far lower sales than expected before this silliness was announced. Ah but of course, it was piracy's fault! Let's make the protection system even more intrusive!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Thu May 08, 2008 1:45 am

I think its ridiculous that the 360 owners who bought this game brand new are getting screwed. They have to pay more for the game to begin with, then pay for the expansion pack if they want it. I find that totally absurd. Shell out 60 bucks (70 if you buy expansion) for the game as opposed to 50 bucks. Its pretty irritating that the people that made the game a huge success are getting screwed like this. You pay 10 dollars less and get more. I'd say the people that paid more should either get the expansion for free or charge the PC more for the expansion.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri May 09, 2008 10:30 pm

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... m=125&sp=0

That must of been a hella lot of cancelled pre-orders for them to flip. Sadly it was a complete reversal but you'll no longer have to prove to EA you own what you paid for every ten days.

Will it get those pre-orders back? Let's find out!
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Marc » Fri May 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Voting with your dollar = the best kind of voting!
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri May 09, 2008 11:54 pm

Not enough of a step for most.

Issues being primarily with SecuROM in the first place. Malware and all that. As well as the limited installs which will be problematic for hardware changes etc. One shouldn't have to phone customer service just to install a game they own. :)
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Re: Mass Effect (360) - SPOILERS

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Dunno if I should resurrect this thread, considering there is a PC one in the first page, but I thoroughly enjoyed my two playthroughs for this game. Actually re-purchased a 360 for this game (and Tropico 3) and I wasn't disappointed at all. I thought everything was great except for maybe one or two things that are relatively minor (almost endless waves of enemies anyone?).

Got all the DLC and I thought the Kasumi Goto one was decent. Having to playthrough with only one extra character was a challenge, but some of Kasumi's skills were really powerful and made the task MUCH easier.

Even got all the achievements too. A first for me and Microsoft's console.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Re: Mass Effect (360) - SPOILERS

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Finished the PC version. Originally intended to be a once a week RPG, turned into near daily.

For my Earth Born, Warhero of an engineer, I tried to play as it were me rather then my usual evil-doer as I knw what I did will have an effect when playing MS2 and MS3. I had an internationalist, obey the law and tend to obey commands type stance, willingness to help and tendency to mercy meant I took a strongly paragon route. Did pick up a few Renegade points here and there, enough to get considerable intimidate. On the big choices, the game made me think and there were some very moving scenes. I liked being able to see so many planets, so many stories and so on, I liked journey around with the companions (Wrex and Ashley tended to be my team of choice). The companions had such a good mix to them, making for enjoyable one-liners or full conversations, making me think as different philosophies collided. The characters felt like they had depth and the galaxy had felt it had been created with loving care by Bioware.

It has aged well, maybe once or twice graphics look a little old but usually they stand up well and can still be beautiful on certain planets. I sometimes loved just staring up into space. Takes awhile to get used to the Makeo controls. My main issues with the game were: Elevators, not as bad as I feared but still waiting times where nothing was said and frustrating that most of the non-fighters on your ship get a cutscene/convo that sets them up as a character, makes them intresting... and then nothing. Fighting quality doesn't last as long as the entire game unfortunately. It is a simple system but, if like me, you explore all the planets then during the non-main story missions, it gets a little boring by the end. Not during the main storyline, momentum keeps up there and the fighting is still good, partly the sense of excitement and anticipation.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven