Warsong/Langrisser/Growlanser

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Which of these three game names was most familiar/recognizable to you?

Warsong
55%
Langrisser
27%
Growlanser
18%

Total votes : 11

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:01 am

Niahak wrote:And yes indeed, there is a way to play without any soldiers whatsoever. It takes a lot of time, a lot of patience and probably more than a little luck, but it's possible to beat.

Yeah, I've gone through the game without using any soldiers. It can get tricky, especially trying to keep Garrett alive in scenario 4 against the slimes until Mina and her guardsmen show up.

Niahak wrote:Der Langrisser is pretty good - it's more complex in some ways, but it is far too easy and they were really lazy with the sound. I'll have to try Langrisser 2 at some point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Der Langrisser just the Japanese name for Warsong? And if so, wouldn't the Japanese sequel to Warsong simply be Der Langrisser II? Or is Der Langrisser the Super Famicom remake of Warsong?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:05 am

Der Langrisser is a sequel to Warsong. And a remake of Langrisser 2.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Niahak » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:22 am

DL is the Super Famicon remake of Langrisser 2, it has a branching storyline (4 possible paths), different graphics and music, etc.
It's also a lot easier, or so I hear. I certainly believe it.
Warsong was Langrisser/Lungrisser (they changed from the u to the a at some point).
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon May 08, 2006 6:02 pm

I was just thinking about mean tricks that video game makers play on video game players, and Warsong came to mind. I don't know how many of you have played this on the original cart vs. via emulation, but my friend and I got a brand new copy of the game back when we were kids.

Anyway, one of the main characters dies in the early scenarios of the game. There's no way to prevent it. We tried everything. It's in the storyline.

But in the instruction manual, there are screenshots of him in the party lineup near the end of the game! Screenshots! Not dead!

Of course, it turns out there is some kind of button-combo code to skip levels that the makers of the game used to take the screenshot. But this was back in the days before the internet (really!), so we had no way of figuring it out until years later.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Niahak » Mon May 08, 2006 8:04 pm

I remember wondering how he got into that screenshot myself, actually. That was pretty mean of them (but pretty crafty too, since nobody expects it that way :P)
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon May 08, 2006 8:32 pm

Niahak, you may have also noticed the screenshots that had the D. Slayer in the party's inventory list? In the actual game, you just got it for the Dragon vs. Ifrit level, so it never appeared in the inventory between battles.

They got that screenshot the same way—using a built-in "all items" cheat. Jerks.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Niahak » Tue May 09, 2006 12:06 am

Yeah, that was pretty disappointing... until I figured out how to do the stage select and item code.
Then I figured out it wasn't necessary, since there's a lot of experience to go around. It's more fun to play through it normally.

A bit more on-topic: I started a new game of Der Langrisser on my SNES the other day and started playing the Independent Path. It's a lot harder than the Light Path, and it's a lot of fun to see Erwin say lines like "Well, somebody's got to unify the continent, right? Might as well be me.".
Of course, it was even more fun to see how he treated the Rayguard Empire after he finds the sword for them :) I can't wait until D's awesome-sounding translation's out so I can understand what's going on without having to look up the kanji I don't know.

I also actually bought Langrisser IV for Saturn recently as well, and it looks like it's pretty good. They added voice acting (!) and the battle scenes look great too. Anyone tried it?
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue May 09, 2006 12:07 pm

The only one I know is Warsong, my friend had it when I was a lot younger and it was really great.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue May 09, 2006 4:20 pm

I played Warsong about 4 years ago using emulation. The game was awesome. Would be nice to see a 3d remake.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue May 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Xiahou Jia wrote:I played Warsong about 4 years ago using emulation. The game was awesome. Would be nice to see a 3d remake.

That's what I hoped Growlanser would be... but it wasn't.

If they could somehow combine the original Warsong with a battle system like Final Fantasy Tactics / Tactics Ogre with huge maps, and flesh out the different classes and soldier types a bit, it would be amazing.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven