Soccer teams?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

What soccer team do you support (if any)

Arsenal
14%
Manchester Utd
17%
Chelsea
7%
Liverpool
8%
AC Milllan
7%
Juventus
2%
Inter Millan
5%
Bayern Munich
3%
Other
37%

Total votes : 118

Re: Soccer teams?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Sorry for late reply, world cup and personal matters

I worry Wilshire will never live up to the promise due to the injuries at key times, I was content for him as a squad option but Emery clearly had others he wanted ahead of Wilshire

As I understand it, the Mexico manager Juan Carlos Osorio has never been forgiven for a 7-0 defeat to Chile, there was a feeling he didn't quite live up to his style and they hated his constant tinkering with the team that they felt disrupted things and led to inconsistency.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 am

In case you can't tell I'm not being as active during the World Cup period either! :lol:

Yeah, I think that is fair in relation to Wilshere!

Southgate has done a good job, we're beating the teams we should beat and have made it out of the group stage. We even beat Panama comfortably. I don't think I've ever been that relaxed during an England game before! That is all I wanted going into the tournament. Everything from here on is a bonus!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Unless Southgate plays Pickford up front, he has earnt the chance for a second tournament at this point. We look good going forward in patches, he has got the players heads on right (and I liked that he tried to calm things down after Panama), we do look lax at the back which will cost us.

Thoughts on round 2? Been quite a few decent but just lack that goal threat teams like Morocco and Peru, Germany looks like they are going to have a bad defeat again if they can't get the tactical balance a lot better as Sweden could have been out of sight by half time though Low's changes were very good. Didn't see Poland but amazed at their poor results, curious to see which Nigeria is the real one from first two games, sorry for Fifa having to deal with Swiss vs Serbia. Argentina (a minute's silence for inappropriate minute silence) were poor against Croatia and seem in implosion as Cabellero is error prone (even if he did keep score down), defence in front of him was poor, midfield offered no supply line for Messi or Ageuro and the able Sampoli seems in meltdown.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:11 am

It's been some World Cup for upsets and big teams not performing - I'm just relieved it's not us.

Uruguay I think have been the most impressive so far, however they are an Atlético Madrid style team, score a goal and then sit back. Their defence has looked very solid though. Brazil I think will take confidence from that late goal and push on from here.

On the European teams France have won both games without sparkling but there is talent there. Belgium and us have probably played the best football but not faced any serious challenges yet. I think Thursday will give us a clearer idea of what both of us are capable of!

All in all it still feels pretty open!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Thoughts on round 3?

Heroic effort by Morocco, they do have a case that use of VAR can feel titled towards big teams but they paid for a lack of cutting edge overall, Denmark and Japan should be kicked out, Iran fans deserve misery after driving a 23 year old striker to retire. Nigeria did well but feel they were defensive too early and lack of subs cost them against a less then impressive Argentina, Senegal also a bit too passive against Columbia when they looked so good when they had to force it. Brazil may not have fired but they only let Serbia (who seemed reluctant to cross) have 5 minutes as they defend well, controlled midfield and had enough of a cutting edge, also seemed like Neymar is just starting to get match fit.

As for Germany, was coming. Fullbacks flying forward yet neither Hector or Kimmich offered width yet managed to leave holes behind them, midfield lacked drive and cutting edge, Goretzka out of position, apparently quite a few in Germany feel their striker has been placed in a system that ill-suits him. Sane wasn't the answer given the comments by German pundits before world cup (yes his Man City stats are impressive but his German ones are what matters), Neur wandering upfield was funny but made sense in context.

Love how Mexico has treated Korea.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:08 am

I didn't get to see many games of this round and the ones I did see were pretty awful. (England vs Belgium and Denmark vs France). Why Denmark and Japan? Do you mean Denmark and France? Bring on the last 16 and competitive games!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm

France were top unless Denmark scored so I can understand there being passive while one or two players did try. Japan spent last 15 minutes making a mockery of fair play, they played at literal walking pace despite losing the game
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:10 am

True!

What a start to the Last 16! Both games yesterday were amazing - lots of high quality goals and a good tempo. Lets hope it lasts! Also both of our old football rivals - Germany and Argentina - are out. I'm enjoying this tournament more than any for a long time!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Thoughts on our new Greek centreback?

Loved that round. France vs Argentina sent a message to everyone else to avid making it dull now, Mpabbe's 70 yard run, Di Maria's goal, Pavon, Argentina's collapse as legs run out and their shambles limped out, Portugal never threatened Uruguay whose excellent defending nullified Ronaldo while Suarez and Cavani particularly caused trouble. Russia well organized against a Spain side that, till Aspas and Rorgio came on, had nobody who seemed to think "maybe we should try to attack with our runs and passing". Croatia getting past a mental block with two keepers excelling at penalties but Denmark's half time changes were clever and I suspect Russia will have had a look as Croatia were utterly nullified but Denmark lacked quality to take advantage. Brazil look like they are easing into gear with a well organized defence and knowing they have enough quality with Neymar getting better game by game. Japan forgiven for how they got this far with a heroic performance, rode their luck a bit in first half but whenever they got the ball, Japan looked skilled with Inui shining on the flank but Japan bench didn't react till too late when Martinez took a brave and much mocked gamble, felt Fellani was really intelligent with his movement and link up play. Swiss had too many players not turn up against a very well drilled Sweden, Shaqiri only one to look like a threat, though Sweden's decent counterattacks ended with finishing that was hilariously bad.

As for us, not a great game for the neutral but England looked comfortable on the ball, didn't get as badly rattled as they might have done, defended well, bounced back after conceding late equalizer, we did lack a cutting edge though. Credit to Southgate, has worked really hard on penalties, getting practise, denying it is luck, working on the mind and that will be a big big lift. The challenge now is ensuring we don't get complacent (some fans really are) against Sweden who have had a strong tournament, work out a way we can break down a very well drilled defensive unit and don't get sucker punched on counter which they are pretty good at.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am

Yeah that was the some round! More big teams dropping by the wayside! I have to say France vs Uruguay and Brazil vs Belgium have the potential to be fantastic ties. Sweden's finishing was really atrocious. Bodes well for us! I think winning a penalty shoot out will do massive amounts for the nations mentality if and when we next get into one!

I've been blown away by what Southgate has achieved. No matter what happens from here on in aI think he has earnt the right to take us to Euros '20!

Delight with Papa. His not had a great season but no-one in the Dortmund team have this year however that shouldn't negate the years of top quality performances! He is exactly what we need.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven