Current Generation Showdown

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Who will win the next console war?

Microsoft’s XBox 360
22%
Nintendo’s Wii (hehe)
31%
Sony’s PlayStation 3
48%

Total votes : 134

Current Generation Showdown

Unread postby GenFusha » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:51 pm

A bit early I guess, but why not? The next console war should be even
more interesting than this one, what say you? Can Sony remain dominant?
Will Nintendo reclaim its lost throne? Or will the newcomer Microsoft pull
an upset win?

Who will win the next console war?
Original poll, started mid-2005.
Microsoft's Xbox 360
- 4% [ 3 ]
Nintendo's Revolution/Wii
- 12% [ 9 ]
Sony's Playstation 3
- 83% [ 62 ]

Mod edit (James): Many people have voiced in the thread that things have changed, and they would have voted for something else. For that reason, I’ve documented the old poll above, and I’m refreshing the thread with a brand new poll for discussion. For some reason I have a feeling results will be quite a bit different!
-If there is one way I'd wanna be remembered, its for passion, for enthusiam- Conservation is my job, my life, my whole personna!*grin*-

--Steve Irwin.

1962-2006

Husband, Father, Hero, Legend. *salutes*
GenFusha
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DruidWu » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:56 pm

I'm not sure about this one. Nintendo does have abit of catching up to do in the way of consoles. Xbox is only good in my opinion because it came out after the PS2, so it had some extra stuff to be that little bit better than the PS2. I will stick my vote with the PS3 as well.
Mainly hangs around <a href="http://druidwu.deviantart.com">DruidWu - Deviantart</a>
DruidWu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yunchang » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:32 am

Playstation beat the first two console wars it was in, why not another one?
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do, crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see.
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.
Rest in piece Liao Hua.
Guan Yunchang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Rest in peace good buddy. I only hope you missed me as much as I miss you now.

Unread postby Lu Xun » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:13 am

I'm hoping for a tie. If it is a tie, then they'll compete to give us the best we can get in a console gaming system. If there isn't a tie, I'd like to see Nintendo and Microsoft take Sony down a few pegs. If that doesn't happen I'd like to see Nintendo win this next console war because they seem to be the only ones thinking in innovation and new ideas instead of sales figures. Microsoft had that last generation with the hard drive, but didn't do too much more, and Nintendo's connectivety showed great potential with Pac-Man Vs., but too many people laughed it off.

Too much of the industry is un by sales firues and profit margins these days. During the days of the Dreamcast Sony bought off stores and gave them extra money for PS2 reserves. In Turn managers got their employees to try and convince anyone buying a Dreamcast to put their money down on a PS2. I worked at a game store for a bit this seaon and saw how it worked. Stores and manager's bonuses depend on certain promotions that go on because the company gets paid X amount of money by the game/hardware companies. Managers are rated based off of this and they hire and fire employed because of this. I just hope that game companies and the big three system makers can do something original this time around without "losing" the war to big money.
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Iain » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:17 am

Xbox 2 will launch at least six months ahead of Sonys PS3 although being first out is never wise (Sega) this is microsoft we are talking about here they will have a strong start. This could be a very important time in the home game system market.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Huang Bob » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:30 am

Akroma wrote:Xbox 2 will launch at least six months ahead of Sonys PS3 although being first out is never wise (Sega) this is microsoft we are talking about here they will have a strong start. This could be a very important time in the home game system market.

Well if that's the case, Sony better find a way to top X-Box in those 6 months, especially if they want to keep their hold on the international market. One thing Sony will need to do is match Microsoft by putting in a hard drive/proccessor/whatever MS puts in. If Sony can at least match what Microsoft does, then nothing will change. Unless Nintendo pulls an upset.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:39 am

Well Microsoft has to really pull out the stops for this one. If they lose as much money as they did with the first X box (harware wise) then all that Nintendo and Sony have to do to defeat Microsoft is survive and make sure that X Box 2 doesn't sell the most. Microsoft makes a hell of a lot more money on it's software then it's hardware and won't keep making X boxes 2's if it goes in the red like X box 1 did. So microsoft really has to come out of this guns blazing or else even if they outsell Nintendo again they will be forced to give up the console market.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:49 am

I'm sure PS3 will dominate, but I'm secretly pulling for Nintendo here.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tyler » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:24 pm

What happened to my thread with the exact same topic?!

Guan Yunchang wrote:Playstation beat the first two console wars it was in, why not another one?

You didn't read the falling empire thread now where did that one go!!! gack all my threads are disapearing! In short Nintendo is too kidish to win the heart of the market and it will be all consumed by the PS3, they betrayed and betrayed us again and again with the GC and it is something people are not soon to forget. I voted for the Xbox Next because it will be the better of the three but I already know too many people will not leave the Playstation.
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:22 pm

Akroma wrote:Xbox 2 will launch at least six months ahead of Sonys PS3 although being first out is never wise (Sega) this is microsoft we are talking about here they will have a strong start. This could be a very important time in the home game system market.

That never helped Sega.

PS3 will have the advantage of return buyers.Seesm the whole ps1 gen migrated to ps2 and likely the same will happen to ps3.Also ps3 will be the 'graphics whores choice'.Indications coming out of publishers right now put the power of the ps3 parsecs ahead of the xbox2.

As for Big N,well,let them play with their gyros.I don't care.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven