Current Generation Showdown

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Who will win the next console war?

Microsoft’s XBox 360
22%
Nintendo’s Wii (hehe)
31%
Sony’s PlayStation 3
48%

Total votes : 134

Re: Current Generation Showdown

Unread postby Marc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

James wrote:Sony is breaking an important rule: don't take your crusade against the hackers so far that you're punishing your legitimate users. I can understand why they want to crack down on the piracy, but I wonder if it is worth taking as far as they've taken it. The PR isn't particularly beautiful...

True, but Anonymous attacking Sony servers and bringing down PSN doesn't exactly help the people they're apparently fighting for, either...
Both sides don't appear to fully realise how they're coming across.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby James » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 pm

Too true...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:59 pm

I think Sony's acting dickish. This isn't a battle they can win and they're just going to alienate everybody. I really think they're going about this whole thing all wrong.

doesn't particularly affect me though because I didn't bother hacking my PS3. I did have a hacked PSP for a time but I just got rid of the cfw and updated normally most recently. generally speaking I've been pretty loyal to Sony. I buy a lot of their products, both video game related and not video game related, and I plan to buy more in the future.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:31 am

Are you saying they should just accept hacking and the possibility of piracy then?

They've already lost a platform to it and I don't think allowing their flagship console with another 5-6 years of life still to go to fall to the same path will be considered any sort of positive for Sony. I think they're using Hotz as a possible warning to other hackers. Even if they don't succeed against Hotz, it shows that they will not stand idly by and let their products go down in flames. Might wreak havoc on their future investments too.

So in terms of how Sony is behaving, they have no choice. Whether it's the "right" move or if they seem "dickish", it's only because they have no tangible alternative.

I've even heard calls to give Hotz a job at Sony, which is funny to me. While getting a seemingly talented hacker in their ranks as a sort of counter-hacker to prevent this sort of things from happening again, what's to prevent other talented hackers from attacking Sony for the possibilities of employment?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 pm

So, whoever decided to mess with Sony this time (Anonymous claims it isn't them) has basically f***ed them over royally.
Get on Live people, better safe than Sony.

Srsly though, thoughts? I'm amazed they got compromised this badly.

"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Exar Kun wrote:Image

That's both funny and bad at the same time.

I guess I'm glad I don't have a PS3. Are there any reports out there on progress of their investigation on potential risk/loss?

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Anonymous can't hide away from this. By exploiting weaknesses in Sony's network they allow others into it too. And it isn't like this group has any strict code of order with these guys. They can't control the actions of all their members.

By the by, a few weeks ago they tried to shut Sony shops...Sony ended up making more money that day.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 pm

I think the whole thing is Stupid and something NEEDS to be done. Just about every Critic of the new online Craze saw something like this coming and Sony was dumb enough to STILL let it happen. I haven't signed on my PSN in a Long time, since i prefer to play offline with my games.

This whole thing never affected me until they stated that Emails and cards might have been taken. I love my PS3 don't get me wrong it has games on it that xbox doesn't so there no way in hell im just "switching" maybe if all i used it for was COD (witch is stupid) but Nippon ichi doesn't make there Disgaea series for xbox so im stuck with sony for the time being.

This whole thing has Gotten so out of hand, EVERYONE in that hacker group needs t obe arrested charged and fined, and whoever else was in on it. this shouldnt just be Fixed and then over, NO no no no no.....they need to be made example of so it will NEVER happen again. because this can just as easily happen to Steam, Nintendo, or Microsoft if they put enough effort into it.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Ranbir wrote:Anonymous can't hide away from this. By exploiting weaknesses in Sony's network they allow others into it too. And it isn't like this group has any strict code of order with these guys. They can't control the actions of all their members.

By the by, a few weeks ago they tried to shut Sony shops...Sony ended up making more money that day.

If its not them then it will be a 'rogue' member. I've never been comfortable with them or their methods, as I stated in the thread about them a few years ago (during the war on scientology).
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 pm

It's good to see Sony was smart enough to upgrade their security for SoE when this happened to the PSN so nothing like that would ever happen there.......oh wait.

I think the chances of a PS4 being released in several years just dropped to about zero, cause I know I'm sure as hell never trusting anything with the Sony name on it again.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven