Current Generation Showdown

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Who will win the next console war?

Microsoft’s XBox 360
22%
Nintendo’s Wii (hehe)
31%
Sony’s PlayStation 3
48%

Total votes : 134

Re: Current Generation Showdown

Unread postby James » Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Adam wrote:After reading the "news" about it instead of skimming it it sounds more like hearsay...some "expert" is claiming that people who worked for Sony posted on a forum talking about the lack of adequate security...although the lack of denial from Sony about this is a bit interesting.

I wouldn't believe 'experts' who post in direct association with their companies. Unless, say, Sony were to come out and say, 'we were running on unpatched Apache servers' nonsense like this isn't even worth reading, let alone repeating. I guarantee they had some pretty great security there, and network preparations aren't exactly new to Sony. All it takes, though, is one bad cog, and people can get in. I expect Microsoft probably has better security—this is something they have more experience with in most every way—but even they could have faced a similar embarrassment.

Adam wrote:As for Sony's "apology gifts": Why in the world would I want 30 free days of Playstation Plus when it's part of the same network that got hacked a few weeks ago? If anything I'd want a refund of the price (assuming I had subscribed during this period) and to get the hell away from the PSN entirely.

That would probably be something to bring up with their customer service or the credit card company. If I wanted to get away from their service, I would probably want the same thing. But we can't expect companies to actively pursue an avenue which is even more destructive to business, or to encourage people to leave. Truth is, though, that this is far from the end of the world. A possible phone call to a credit card company, change a password, and some fresh air outside, even.

Adam wrote:Yes, huge corporations that run public networks get hacked til they have to be taken offline all the time...and I love the attitude of "it doesn't effect me so it's not a problem". -.-

Fallout of this scale from hacking is actually quite rare. The usual hacking is of smaller ecommerce companies which make easy targets, the hackers seeking out the credit card data. While there are large-scale DDoS attacks against companies like Amazon and Google, the worst people tend to manage is some actual downtime and lost revenue, then back to business. To actually cause such a PR blow is pretty huge. But whoever's behind it—say, Anonymous—certainly doesn't get to claim they did this for the little guy. The little guy is the one who got the worst end of this stick.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon May 09, 2011 7:14 pm

James wrote: But whoever's behind it—say, Anonymous—certainly doesn't get to claim they did this for the little guy. The little guy is the one who got the worst end of this stick.

Has any of the credit card info been used? I feel like Anon can at least make a decent argument they were working on behalf of the 'little guy', unless they were in it for pecuniary gain. After all when you eliminate the two largest self-interested incentives for hackers, money and prestige, you're left asking why the attack was made at all.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon May 09, 2011 11:50 pm

mrbeate wrote:Really, the server take down is an inconvenience, but why make a big deal out of it. The worst thing hackers are doing currently is preventing you from playing online games. Can you not live with out online gaming for a month or so?
Then there are those anti-sony people who attack ps3 with " Personal Information stolen". Like hackers are going to do anything with my hotmail and address. It is unlikely they are going to do anything with your hotmail anywyas, as they don't intend to hurt ps3 players but, Sony.

Agreed. Look at what has been accomplished once PSN went down. They got Osama!!
But seriously, nothing big about it. Not like Capcom might lose millions or anything like that.

Anyway I heard that Sony is contemplating renaming PSN to the Playstation...Notwork.
I'm actually kinda pissed about it all though. I got DW7, my first PS3 game in well over a year and the damn network is down.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 pm

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. You have people blowing it out of proportion on one side, and the other side minimizing it. I do feel for the people who cant get on the PSN and play their games and such. But at the end of the day i think this is more than just a minor inconvenience. Just imagine if one of these hackers goes rogue and decides to use all the information they got. You dont know what personal information they got. A lot of people had credit card information on the PSN. Just because nothing has truly come of it yet does not mean that in 6 months it will stay that way. Its obviously a big problem to sony as they were supposed to bring the network up last week and couldnt.

My question is, how many potential buyers are going to be persuaded not to buy a ps3 now? At least with the RRoD people were guaranteed replacements, but with this you arent guaranteed anything but some free PSN time. Will gaming companies shy away from sony? With capcom losing money because of a couple weeks of these issues, how long will it take before the balance of power swings and knocks sony down.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed May 11, 2011 2:18 am

Separation Anxiety wrote: You dont know what personal information they got.

I would assume the information they got would be limited to what you provided. If xbox live was hacked, the most valuable thing they'd make off with is my credit card #. That sucks, but it can be fixed. I don't see PSN or Live storing anything more valuable than that and your address.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sun May 15, 2011 5:23 am

Thats the whole point. You don't know what information they got, which potentially includes your credit card information. And thats usually how identity theft starts. People can find out all kinds of information with just a credit card number. Beng able to get ahold of your credit card numbers can really put a damper on your credit score.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun May 15, 2011 9:03 am

Shikanosuke wrote:
Separation Anxiety wrote: You dont know what personal information they got.

I would assume the information they got would be limited to what you provided. If xbox live was hacked, the most valuable thing they'd make off with is my credit card #. That sucks, but it can be fixed. I don't see PSN or Live storing anything more valuable than that and your address.

Think about how many networks you trust with your information, blindly. From things like Amazon, your phone company, banks, Microsoft etc.. You have no idea how they're storing that information and you can't do anything about it if they mess up.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon May 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Ranbir wrote:

Think about how many networks you trust with your information, blindly. From things like Amazon, your phone company, banks, Microsoft etc.. You have no idea how they're storing that information and you can't do anything about it if they mess up.

No disagreement.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon May 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Has any of the credit card info been used? I feel like Anon can at least make a decent argument they were working on behalf of the 'little guy', unless they were in it for pecuniary gain. After all when you eliminate the two largest self-interested incentives for hackers, money and prestige, you're left asking why the attack was made at all.

I'm not sure how they could make that argument. Financial information was compromised (many people are still going to need or want to respond to that, for example by replacing credit cards) and having other personal information compromised certainly doesn't leave people with a warm fuzzy feeling. What PSN customer feels better for this having taken place? The PSN was done for quite some time and this significantly degraded the experience for many gamers. Expenses will be incurred by Sony and other involved institutions (e.g. financial) in association with this which cost them money, potentially cost the consumer money, and certainly doesn't serve to improve anything for the consumer (except, perhaps, network security for the PSN and competing services). There is no legitimate argument that this was done to serve the consumer (though I'd be happy to hear one).

And with Anon, 'for the lulz' is a perfectly good reason to do something.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Before this I respected Anon, I didn't like their methods and agree with all their causes but I thought they were principled at least. This has done more damage to the so called small guys that they claim to protect than the big ones.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven