Current Generation Showdown

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Who will win the next console war?

Microsoft’s XBox 360
22%
Nintendo’s Wii (hehe)
31%
Sony’s PlayStation 3
48%

Total votes : 134

Re: Current Generation Showdown

Unread postby Exar Kun » Tue May 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Adam wrote:It's good to see Sony was smart enough to upgrade their security for SoE when this happened to the PSN so nothing like that would ever happen there.......oh wait.

Was just coming to post that.
Bank and credit/debit card details this time too, and they didn't say it was encrypted either. Tut tut Sony.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Adam » Thu May 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Apparently the PSN was running on an unpatched Apache server and without a firewall...I mean...really?
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Sun Fin wrote:If its not them then it will be a 'rogue' member. I've never been comfortable with them or their methods, as I stated in the thread about them a few years ago (during the war on scientology).

Anonymous has no shortage of 'rogue' members.

Adam wrote:Apparently the PSN was running on an unpatched Apache server and without a firewall...I mean...really?

According to? If that were the case this would have happened long ago.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 am

Mikhail wrote:Are you saying they should just accept hacking and the possibility of piracy then?

They have a choice?

I have no idea honestly how I feel about this debacle. On the one hand, I don't want information compromised nor my service interrupted. (Anyone know if the compromised info has been used yet?) And they are breaking laws, so technically they should be held accountable. I also understand that not bowing to hacker-pressure may be their only choice. On the other, I vaguely understand the hacker mentality. I think it is actually interesting how they used Hotz as a martyr and bargaining trip. With Scientology it was a fun campaign, but I don't know what results they could really give us. With this, wow.

I just don't know. Guess I'll just glad Microsoft didn't piss them off, as I don't own any Sony products.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri May 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Meh this doesnt really bother me, these things happen and we don't know the full scale!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri May 06, 2011 11:45 pm

SunXia wrote:Meh this doesnt really bother me, these things happen and we don't know the full scale!!

What are you talking about? They literally told the press everything that was taken and for how many users.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Adam » Sat May 07, 2011 5:21 pm

James wrote:
Adam wrote:Apparently the PSN was running on an unpatched Apache server and without a firewall...I mean...really?

According to? If that were the case this would have happened long ago.

After reading the "news" about it instead of skimming it it sounds more like hearsay...some "expert" is claiming that people who worked for Sony posted on a forum talking about the lack of adequate security...although the lack of denial from Sony about this is a bit interesting.

As for Sony's "apology gifts": Why in the world would I want 30 free days of Playstation Plus when it's part of the same network that got hacked a few weeks ago?
If anything I'd want a refund of the price (assuming I had subscribed during this period) and to get the hell away from the PSN entirely.

Meh this doesnt really bother me, these things happen and we don't know the full scale!!

Yes, huge corporations that run public networks get hacked til they have to be taken offline all the time...and I love the attitude of "it doesn't effect me so it's not a problem". -.-
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat May 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Adam wrote:Yes, huge corporations that run public networks get hacked til they have to be taken offline all the time...and I love the attitude of "it doesn't effect me so it's not a problem". -.-

I think those who aren't affected just don't care as much, even if they recognize it as a problem. It is an interesting struggle to me. One the one hand I understand being upset w/ the hackers because their vigilante actions have disrupted PS3 users service and broken applicable laws. On the other hand, in an interesting twist, they've allegedly taken down the PS3 networks in defense of you the user to be able to do what you like with the product. They've also shown the world the lack of security PS3 was providing you. Idk, just a little bit of less critical view from some non PS3 users.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby devtherev » Sat May 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Adam wrote:
As for Sony's "apology gifts": Why in the world would I want 30 free days of Playstation Plus when it's part of the same network that got hacked a few weeks ago?

I feel it's kinda bad I didn't even realise there was such a thing until the PSN got hacked, and I've had my PS3 since last Christmas -_-;

Adam wrote:Yes, huge corporations that run public networks get hacked til they have to be taken offline all the time...and I love the attitude of "it doesn't effect me so it's not a problem". -.-

I wish I could say I don't have this attitude...but I do. I think the worst case scenario for me is some hacker has my email adress...
devtherev
Scholar

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat May 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Really, the server take down is an inconvenience, but why make a big deal out of it. The worst thing hackers are doing currently is preventing you from playing online games. Can you not live with out online gaming for a month or so?
Then there are those anti-sony people who attack ps3 with " Personal Information stolen". Like hackers are going to do anything with my hotmail and address. It is unlikely they are going to do anything with your hotmail anywyas, as they don't intend to hurt ps3 players but, Sony.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven