Current Generation Showdown

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Who will win the next console war?

Microsoft’s XBox 360
22%
Nintendo’s Wii (hehe)
31%
Sony’s PlayStation 3
48%

Total votes : 134

Re: Current Generation Showdown

Unread postby James » Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Before this I respected Anon, I didn't like their methods and agree with all their causes but I thought they were principled at least. This has done more damage to the so called small guys that they claim to protect than the big ones.

Anon is a pretty chaotic 'organization'. I'm not sure any of this should have come as a surprise, and I'm not sure what happened here may have had much to do with Anon as a whole. It depends on how the network was attacked. If it had something to do with large traffic/DDoS then it may have involved many, or if it involved a precision hack with a small number of hackers, it may have had almost nothing to do with Anon as a whole. It only takes one person to leave a single file on the PSN server.

I'll note that I don't really follow Anon, so someone who is a member, or someone who is more involved with them, may know much more about what happened than I do.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon May 16, 2011 10:00 pm

James wrote:I'll note that I don't really follow Anon, so someone who is a member, or someone who is more involved with them, may know much more about what happened than I do.

In b4 someone admits to this and the FBI knocks on their door tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a rogue element of Anonymous who did this, and I think it is important to make the distinction because Anonymous is rather principled on how they operate. I doubt this was an "official" Anonymous operation.

Just want to note though that Anonymous doesn't do anything "for the lulz". It's important to distinguish between the pranksters and script kiddies on /b/ and a group like Anonymous.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Marc » Tue May 17, 2011 9:59 am

Sony's Welcome Back Package

Pretty lackluster, I think. I knew they were going to be older, end-of-shelf life games for the most part, so it's not too surprising, but still disappointing. I own four of the five PS3 games, and don't have a PSP, so I guess I get diddly, really.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby SunXia » Tue May 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Don't really require a Welcome Back feature to be honest!! Sony didn't really ask to be hacked by people who have no lives and just want to ruin the fun for other people!! But yeah, guess SunXia could look into these, my account is used regularly!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed May 18, 2011 1:15 am

SunXia wrote:Don't really require a Welcome Back feature to be honest!! Sony didn't really ask to be hacked by people who have no lives and just want to ruin the fun for other people!! But yeah, guess SunXia could look into these, my account is used regularly!!

They don't require a welcome back to regain customer confidence after they failed to adequately protect their network three times? And showed that they had absolutely no reliable business continuity plans to follow in the event of a hack? And of course disrupted PSN gaming service to their customers well beyond what any reasonable internal SLA would allow?
From a business standpoint, they absolutely do need to do something to take customers' minds off the fact that they messed up. Make no mistake, they messed up. Network security is a cost of doing business, and the security and integrity of personal information is part of the psychological contract Sony would have with their users.
They failed at both, they absolutely have to make amends.

For my part I don't have any of those games. So I'll certainly take Sony up on their offer.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed May 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Speaking of value.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby SunXia » Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Meh technology has these flaws, there are pricks in the world that ca and will do everything to hack into things just to be arsey about it!! Computers are created by humans and thus, humans can create things to crack them, it's simple!! I'll always be confident of Sony, I'm not so naive to think these things won't happen, and not so arsey to get worked up with the other victims in this sad episode too!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Marc » Wed May 18, 2011 10:08 pm

So...the PSN password reset system? The one that was just put in place after the hack? Yeah, that's been compromised. Not hacked, just exploited using URL and web-wizardry! As far as I can tell, if the exploiter knew your email and your date of birth, they could change your password. And they knew that since that was among the info that was stolen. Fixed now, I think, but confidence in Sony takes another blow...
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby James » Thu May 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Sony's going to be in for an unpleasant future if they've made themselves a popular target for some of the web's finest talent. Anything that happens to them is going to get some pretty good coverage so they make a juicy target...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby SunXia » Thu May 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Hackerz are like Paparazzi in that way, annoy those that will make the biggest impact!! I can completely understand their predicament!! Technology is always evolving and I guess, to some wasters, rules and security fields are there to be broken, like a pathetic medal of honor among other silly people of similar ilk!! They shan't ever affect my dedication to Sony and, they can't take away the best gaming experiences in a mere month!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven