Current Generation Showdown

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Who will win the next console war?

Microsoft’s XBox 360
22%
Nintendo’s Wii (hehe)
31%
Sony’s PlayStation 3
48%

Total votes : 134

Re: Current Generation Showdown

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Rage tomorrow.

Carmack had to work ridiculously hardto deal with the memory limitations in consoles: it is really interesting how many layers of caching they did.

Also it really does highlight how unnecessary the whole format war and the justification of BR there was.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm

So do we officially enter the next generation once the Wii U is released or is it a continuation of this current generation?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:11 pm

That'd be the next generation of consoles, I guess.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Technically speaking its current gen as the PS3 is supposedly more powerful than the Wii U, but generationally speaking its next gen. I think its acceptable to say despite its hardware limitations its next generation as the generations arent power related but guided by the release dates.

Microsoft "confirmed" a new xbox today. Absolutely no details about it, but its confirmed now.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:17 pm

Sony and Microsoft are both claiming they are moving away from a new console every decade or so, that they are going to make it like PC's with a more regular new machine but with less seismic changes each time. Both have announced a new slim console and a new more powerful one.

Do you guys think this will work? Is it a good thing?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:09 pm

The PS4 Pro is a "stronger" console... but it has full PS4 compatibility and no exclusives.

Which means that the PS4 is fully capable of playing every single PS4 Pro game.

So if you have a PS4, there's no reason to upgrade, and if you don't have a PS4, there's no reason to suddenly get a PS4 Pro.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:51 pm

DragonAtma wrote:The PS4 Pro is a "stronger" console... but it has full PS4 compatibility and no exclusives.

Which means that the PS4 is fully capable of playing every single PS4 Pro game.

So if you have a PS4, there's no reason to upgrade, and if you don't have a PS4, there's no reason to suddenly get a PS4 Pro.

I think Sony felt "if we have exclusive games for new console, people will be angry" so yeah, pro basically seems to give you 4k graphics and so far no new content from games and no exclusives.

Also feel getting into row with Bethesda and being accused of not allowing modes just before the next round of console wars is a bad mistake
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:28 am

Was pleasantly surprised by the Ps4 pro reviews, the general consensus seemed to be if yo have a 4k TV, a VR fan or not got a PS (or time to change your console), go for Pro and seems to be selling out here. The game visuals have a few "did they bother to upgrade like they claim? I can't tell", a few "OMG, this is amazing" and most "it is sharper, you spot things you didn't on PS slim." It will be intresting to see if when people decide to upgrade/PS is breaking, they go for pro at the expense or if they go for Slim over the long term and also if people hold off to see what Scorpio is like.

I'll be buying a PS Pro at some point as suits my purposes. Either it will be success and will benefit from a lot of visually upgraded games or PS slim wins in which case I can still play those games anyway.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:44 pm

There's another problem with the PS4 Pro: sometimes, it's slower than the regular PS4.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven