Ratings from Game Magazines

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Ratings from Game Magazines Influence You?

Yes, often
8%
Yes, sometimes
38%
Yes, but rarely
21%
Never, these ratings are not trustworthy
8%
Never, I know what I want
25%

Total votes : 24

Ratings from Game Magazines

Unread postby robbyjo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:58 am

Hi all,

I'm wondering... Do you consider ratings from gaming magazines influence you a lot in purchasing decision? For me, it's rarely. But I always try it first before I decide to buy (from the demo or in-store demo machine).

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Devilrai » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:18 am

Nice question robbyjo to all the magazine readers out there. :D

And my answer is Yes, but sometimes, since I read game magazines very often I always read the reviews and if its a bad game I won't buy it, but here is when the sometimes part come in...

Dynasty Warriors games in some mags' such as EGM gave it mediocre reviews, but that doesn't stop me from buying it because I have played the past DW games and loved it.

Another thing all reviews are not the same, one mag may give it a great review while the other mag gives it a bad one...confusion.

So I try not to let mag reviews influence me in my purchase, I thank demos for that.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:28 pm

I do not let them influence me, mainly because I don't like people judging how I should like/think of the game. The magazines I (used to) read gave DW3 7/10 when I feel it deserves an 8 or 9. People who review the games have different interests and however unbiased they try to be, you can't judge a game for everyone. Everyone has their own opinions.
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:38 pm

I am never influenced by game ratings, either from magazines or website or anything like that. I've grown out of games quite a bit, and right now, the only games I ever buy are the ones I know I am going to want to play. I'm at a stage where the games I already have are good enough to keep me going, replay-wise, for the rest of time, so new games are really just a bonus. This is why I won't buy a new DW game unless it fills a void DW4 doesn't fill, or a new GTA game unless it fills a void GTA3 doesn't fill.

On the other hand, it's also why I'll always buy a new RTK game the day it's released.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby robbyjo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:02 pm

Well, thanks Blue Moon Samurai. :D

Yes, that's true. I got tired of these gaming magazines, really. Not only do they provide biased and often unfair review, they also doggedly defend their view. For example: *cough* Game Informer *cough* gave "State of Emergency" an 8.5 (IIRC) and DW3 a 7. But by large, DW3 >>> SoE. Not only that, they also gave Paper Mario 5 a score of one. That's right: One!

Oh well...

I'm also grown out a bit from games. I scour for good games from flea market / pawn shops and usually get good deals. But for games I really love like DW series, Zelda, or Mario, I often preorder them. Other than that, I'm looking for used ones, where each is about $20 or so.

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yunchang » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:35 pm

I don't listen to reviews from anyone. I watch X-Play but that's because it's funny as hell.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do, crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see.
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.
Rest in piece Liao Hua.
Guan Yunchang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Rest in peace good buddy. I only hope you missed me as much as I miss you now.

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:39 pm

I'm influenced to a small degree.I mostly make up my mind on my own,but I use magazine,website and player reviews to reinforce my feelings.
There are a few gems I would never have come across if not for magazines though,including Xenogears.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Bryan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:50 pm

I always look at game ratings objectively, and I never look at just one reviewer's rating of a game.

And as to Paper Mario 5, robbyjo... I agree that it should get a 1.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DruidWu » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 pm

I usually take notice what they say with the rating; usually they have their percentage and Pros and Cons, I normally take those into account. Otherwise my main way to settle things is to play the demo then read the review. I was going to get Worms Forts, but I was saved the dissappointment by reading the review :wink:
DruidWu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sum Gai » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:29 pm

I only read Official Playstation magazine, and I trust the good folks over there. Whenever I go against them and get a game that they rated lower than 3.5 - 4 stars, I end up regretting it at least a little. I won't buy a game just because they say it's good, though.
Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy.
Sum Gai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven