How to Run Old DOS Games

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Was this thread helpful to you? [No Prune]

Yes
32%
No
3%
Cao Cao is at the gates!
65%

Total votes : 34

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:15 am

In addition to this I'd like to add VDMSound Project.

It's primary function is to provide something that the NT systems lack, sound support. Of course that isn't the only function of this.

This is for the NT and 2000 OS really.

Just download and install vdmsound.

The right click on the DOS executable of whatever DOS game it is you want to run and select, "run with VDMSound".

It does then create a shortcut to the exectuable VDMSound settings, incase you wish to fine tune it. 99% of the time, you won't have to.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Serious problem

Unread postby riverstone » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:15 pm

Hey rob and guys! nice to have you all here..currently i'm experiecing black and white colour when i load the game. Any solution to that so that i can play RTK2 in colour mode?
riverstone
Tyro

Unread postby robbyjo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:55 pm

Hmm... that's weird, riverstone. What version of DOSBox do you have? Version 0.60 or above should be in color already. Especially if you've followed the steps prescribed in my guide. Try this... Open the configuration file and makesure the line:

machine=vga

is there. If "machine" equals something else, that might be the problem. If this doesn't work, try copy and pasting the whole configuration file here.

Hope this helps,
-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby khorphil » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:57 am

Hi, I am new to this forum. Really need your help on this matter. I am trying to run romance4, however I got an error that states that this game require a 256 colour display. When I try to swap my display to a 256 colour, I still could not run the game.

Please help...

PS: I have follow the step stated in the previous post. :cry:
khorphil
Tyro

Unread postby robbyjo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm

khorpill, if you try to run Romance 4 English for Windows, then you can't. It needs a library called "WinG" (the predecessor of DirectX), which is obsolete and incompatible with Windows XP. There's no way I aware of to run this game as yet. DOSBox will not help.

However, Romance 4 Chinese was released for DOS. You can repeat the steps I mentioned.

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby khorphil » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi Rob, i tried the method you mention however when i run the game, i got an error in chinese.

My short cut for RTK4:
"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe" -conf koei-newer.conf -noconsole -c "mount a C:\games\romance4" -c "mount b C:\games\romance4" -c "a:" -c "rtk4win.exe"

Is it correct? Any advise.. Thanks :?:
khorphil
Tyro

Problems with this advice

Unread postby absolute » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:06 pm

Change the line of:

fulldouble=false -----> fulldouble=true
output=surface -----> output=ddraw
hwscale=1.00 -----> hwscale=1.50 (only if you have monitor resolution of 1024x768 or better. For 1600x1200 or better, change 1.50 to 2.00)
memsize=16 -----> memsize=32 (for newer games)

When I make the DosBox into a notepad I searched but could not find the fulldouble=false or the output=surface or anything else i was supposed to change. The following is an excerpt from the notepad file where it said fulldouble both times but never said false:

fulldouble hwscale autolock sensitivity output surface shutdown ShutDown Cap Mouse Fullscreen capmouse Pause fullscr pause ddraw glPixelDataRangeNV wglAllocateMemoryNV wglFreeMemoryNV EXT_packed_pixels GL_NV_pixel_data_range EXT_paletted_texture SDL:Can't hwscale lower than 0.1 lower normal SDL:You are running in 24 bpp mode, this will slow down things! overlay opengl higher openglnb highest SDL:Unsupported output device %s, switching back to surface  ™™¹?-version --version -noconsole stdout.txt w stderr.txt sdl 1024x768 higher,normal mapper.txt mapperfile SDL_CONFIGFILE_HELP fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.
fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.
fullfixed
absolute
Tyro

Unread postby robbyjo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Oops khorpill, it seems that your post get past my attention. For RTK4 DOS (i.e. the Chinese) version, you can do that. But what error is that? If you do it in Windows, you can install using SETUP.EXE.

Absolute, which version of DOSBox do you use? This is strange. Did you open the correct .conf file?

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuge-Liang » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:14 pm

Dear robbyjo,

I downloaded ROTK 5 (because I lost the original disc that I bought for PSX) but don't know how to install it. I'm not familiar with computer. Please show me how to run this game.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Warm regards.
Zhuge-Liang
Apprentice

Unread postby robbyjo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:32 am

Zhuge-Liang, you can follow the guide for RTK3 and modify it that accordingly. The thing is that you won't get officer photos and the music is rather iffy.

-- Rob
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven