How to Run Old DOS Games

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Was this thread helpful to you? [No Prune]

Yes
11
32%
No
1
3%
Cao Cao is at the gates!
22
65%
 
Total votes : 34

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Gamer2007 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:55 pm

I Need Help, When I Get To The Changing Lines On Notepad, I Can't Understand Or Find Anything, It Seems To Coding Is In A Different Letter Style

Here Is A Random Code From The Notepad File
èŽþ Ç$ èrý ¶ð€=‚
ð ˆp
ðtšÇ$ èòÿÿëŒÆðë»Ç$ Ɓ
ð ÿÐéwÿÿÿÇ$ è4þ €=ð u €=ð u Ç$ 뒐´& ƒì €=‚
ð …0 Ɓ
𠡨
ð…À…
 ¶ð„Òt6ˆÐ4„À¢ð„à Ç$ èÄý Ç$ è¨ü ¶ðˆp
ð¶¿
ð„Àt84„À¢¿
ðt5„Ò„Î €=‚
ð ui¡¨
ð…À…Ä Æ
ðƒÄ é¨sïÿƒÄ Ít& „Òtψрñ„Ɉ
ð„« Ç$ è=ý Ç$ è!ü ¶ð€=‚
ð ˆp
ðt—Ç$ è?ñÿÿë‰Ç$ èý €=ð u
€=ð …3ÿÿÿÇ$ é"ÿÿÿÇ$ ÿÐéåþÿÿÇ$ èôðÿÿé¿þÿÿÆðéjÿÿÿÇ$ Ɓ
ð ÿÐé'ÿÿÿÇ$ è’ü €=ð u
€=ð …KÿÿÿÇ$ é:ÿÿÿUWVSƒì<‹|$P€=‚
ð ‹\$X…û ÝD$\1ö1í‰=ˆ
ð‹D$l‹T$T£¨
ð¡ä
ðݘ
ðÝD$d…À‰Œ
ðÝ 
ð…Î ¡È
ðƒø„è ~ƒø„Á ƒø„Y t& öÃt¾ öÃt¾ öÃt¾ öÃt¾ f‰=ð1Ò€=¿
ð ‹D$T‰Ä
ðf£ð„ €=¸
ð „Ý ·
´
Does That Make Sence, Is It Meant To Be Like That....
Gamer2007
Tyro
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby mrbeate » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 am

I have a little problem trying to setup or install Rotk 5. I installed rotk 3 and 4 easily. All i did was click a application and it installed for me. But on the Rotk files i couldn't find any Install or setup applications. I clicked all the ones were there and all they did was show a black screen.

Anybody help?
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
User avatar
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: GTA

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 pm

I don't know about those games specifically, but if they're DOS games, and you're sure you've got all the right files, then it's always good to try DOSBox.

I just wanted to tell everybody about D-Fend Reloaded. It's a frontend GUI for DOSBox, it's great for keeping all your DOS games in one place, and it's really easy to use. The wizard for adding new games is terrific, particularly if they're SCUMMVM compatible, in that case it's like three clicks and you're off. I also used it recently for the great Sierra game Conquests of the Longbow. Setup was a snap and I was able to play it all the way through, though it crashed a couple of times. This program has provided a great excuse for me to rediscover all the great old DOS games that have been collecting dust on my shelf.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
User avatar
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4171
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:26 am
Location: Scarborough, Canada

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 am

Tigger, this is so wonderful!

One of my biggest complaints about DOSBox is the hassle of having to mount the drive and look for my games every time I use it. This solves my problem!

Conquests of the Longbow is one of the greatest games of all times. At one point I knew the whole opening song/verse by heart. I still play it from time to time trying to get the elusive last few points.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12807
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:20 am

Lady Wu wrote:Conquests of the Longbow is one of the greatest games of all times. At one point I knew the whole opening song/verse by heart. I still play it from time to time trying to get the elusive last few points.

Yes, it's really outstanding, particularly the story & dialogue. The instruction manual (which I still have 8-)) is a work of art.

Fun fact: Sierra was so anal about "branding" that it usually insisted on its adventure games having the word "quest" in the title. So, in addition to King's Quest 5, Police Quest 3, etc., you got names like Conquests of the Longbow, and Laura Bow in: The Colonel`s Bequest. Heh heh.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
User avatar
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4171
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:26 am
Location: Scarborough, Canada

Re: Corrupt saved games in Pool of Radiance

Unread postby CatherineMcClarey » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:59 am

Liu Yuante wrote:Liu Yuante's guide to running SSI Gold Box games on modern systems:

. . .There is also an error afflicting some users of DOSBox where you are able to create, save and add characters, and then adventure, and save, but on returning later, your savegame is corrupted, with all six slots taken up by one character, and the name of your save folder having the last letter removed. I have reported this to DOSBox and according to one of the authors they are treating it as a bug and are seeking a fix. . . .

Adrian


I am having exactly the "corrupted savegame" problem you described here with Pool of Radiance running in DOSBox (v0.70), except my computer is running Vista Home Premium instead of XP. Have the DOSBox people come up with a fix for this bug? (I had to apologize to my kids when I learned this wasn't their fault! :oops: )
CatherineMcClarey
Tyro
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Corrupt saved games in Pool of Radiance

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:26 am

CatherineMcClarey wrote:
Liu Yuante wrote:Liu Yuante's guide to running SSI Gold Box games on modern systems:

. . .There is also an error afflicting some users of DOSBox where you are able to create, save and add characters, and then adventure, and save, but on returning later, your savegame is corrupted, with all six slots taken up by one character, and the name of your save folder having the last letter removed. I have reported this to DOSBox and according to one of the authors they are treating it as a bug and are seeking a fix. . . .

Adrian


I am having exactly the "corrupted savegame" problem you described here with Pool of Radiance running in DOSBox (v0.70), except my computer is running Vista Home Premium instead of XP. Have the DOSBox people come up with a fix for this bug? (I had to apologize to my kids when I learned this wasn't their fault! :oops: )


Sorry for the late reply, I'm not here all the time as I used to be in the past. As far as I can tell, the bug has not been fixed. My recommendation? Get MoSloWin. Yeah, it's not freeware, it's like $20 or something. But, it lets you play PoR without needing DOSbox because, unless something has changed in Vista vs XP, the only incompatibility is really the speed issue. If you can slow it down to a manageable speed (around 8-10% seemed to work well for me, but will vary with your processor), the game should be plenty playable. I beat it on XP using just MoSloWin.

Adrian
User avatar
Liu Yuante
绯红王
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:20 am

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 am

Just got the classic Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (full speech version) to work in DOSBox...thought I'd post the solution here in case it helps anyone else.

Oddly, even though I had the original CD, the game kept crashing after the first scene. The file RESOURCE.CFG is the problem -- the version that the game installs somehow has pathnames that point to all the wrong directories. You should change it to this:
videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
cmd = GKCD
mouseDrv = none
memoryDrv = none
minmemory = 2M
CD = YES
smartdrv = YES
mode = protected

audio=.;.\SFX;.\AUD
sync=.\AUD
movieDir=.\SEQ;.\AVI
patchDir=.\PATCHES
audiosize=64K
STATICMEMORY = 250K

notice the relative pathnames -- much better. After that, just run Install.exe and select VESA, Soundblaster for music, and Soundblaster for audio (speech), and use Sierra.exe to run. These tips might help with other Sierra games, too.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
User avatar
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4171
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:26 am
Location: Scarborough, Canada

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Just got the classic Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (full speech version) to work in DOSBox...thought I'd post the solution here in case it helps anyone else.

Oddly, even though I had the original CD, the game kept crashing after the first scene. The file RESOURCE.CFG is the problem -- the version that the game installs somehow has pathnames that point to all the wrong directories. You should change it to this:
videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
cmd = GKCD
mouseDrv = none
memoryDrv = none
minmemory = 2M
CD = YES
smartdrv = YES
mode = protected

audio=.;.\SFX;.\AUD
sync=.\AUD
movieDir=.\SEQ;.\AVI
patchDir=.\PATCHES
audiosize=64K
STATICMEMORY = 250K

notice the relative pathnames -- much better. After that, just run Install.exe and select VESA, Soundblaster for music, and Soundblaster for audio (speech), and use Sierra.exe to run. These tips might help with other Sierra games, too.


Yeah, this is the one thing I don't like about DosBox. The fact that you are assigning a directory the status of C: drive for the purpose of the program messes up anything that uses specific pathnames. It's pretty much impossible to transfer characters from one game to the next in the Gold Box series using DosBox because of that.

Also - and perhaps you've seen this - but I thought GK:SOTF is available form GOG now? Or maybe that's a different GK game I saw advertised. Pretty sure it was SOTF though, since they sent me an email about it...

Adrian
User avatar
Liu Yuante
绯红王
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:20 am

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Liu Yuante wrote:I thought GK:SOTF is available from GOG now?

Absolutely right, seems like a good deal...though Ranbir told me on IRC that he's waiting for it to be packaged with some of the sequels.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
User avatar
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4171
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:26 am
Location: Scarborough, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved