How to Run Old DOS Games

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Was this thread helpful to you? [No Prune]

Yes
32%
No
3%
Cao Cao is at the gates!
65%

Total votes : 34

Re: How to Run Old DOS Games

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 am

A discount package, that is!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Master of Orion 2

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Master of Orion 2 is a turn-based strategy game similar to Civilization. It's one of my very favorites. It was simultaneously released for DOS and Windows 95, but the DOS version is superior (as is usually the case). I found these instructions helpful even though they're meant for WinXP.

Copy the entire CD to C:\[MyName]\temp and then run Install.exe from there using a DOSBox command line. It's important to install the game to either C:\MPS\ORION2 or to a directory with that exact name on your DOSBox virtual HD. Copy all the files and subdirectories from the aforementioned temp directory to the game directory (it's ok if they overwrite), then delete the temp directory. Update with official patch 1.31 (you can find it here). Edit ORIONCD.INI so that it points to C:\MPS\ORION2 instead of the install directory (don't forget to save!). Use DOSBox to run SETSOUND.EXE. Select "Roland MPU-401 interface or 100% compatible" for the music, and "Soundblaster 100% Compatible" for the digital sound effects. I had some problems with the audio skipping, which I resolved by opening DIG.INI and manually changing the IRQ to 5. Run ORION2.EXE to play.

I was never one for multiplayer, but supposedly there's still an active fanbase of die-hard Moo2'ers.To play with them you'll have to install the unofficial 1.40 patch. It's on the page I linked above, but the installer crashed on me — maybe it isn't written for the latest Windowses. Oh well.
Last edited by Tigger of Kai on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Master of Orion 2

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Master of Orion 2 is a turn-based strategy game similar to Civilization. It's one of my very favorites. It was simultaneously released for DOS and Windows 95, but the DOS version is superior (as is usually the case). I found these instructions helpful even though they're meant for WinXP.

Copy the entire CD to C:\[MyName]\temp and then run Install.exe from there using a DOSBox command line. It's important to install the game to either C:\MPS\ORION2 or to a directory with that exact name on your DOSBox virtual HD. Copy all the files and subdirectories from the aforementioned temp directory to the game directory (it's ok if they overwrite). Update with official patch 1.31 (you can find it on the page linked above). Edit ORIONCD.INI so that it points to C:\MPS\ORION2 instead of the install directory. Use DOSBox to run SETSOUND.EXE. I selected "Soundblaster" for both music and sound effects and had no trouble; if you encounter problems you could try editing MDI.INI and DIG.INI. Run ORION2.EXE to play.

I was never one for multiplayer, but supposedly there's still an active fanbase of die-hard Moo2'ers.To play with them you'll have to install the unofficial 1.40 patch. It's on the page I linked above, but the installer crashed on me — maybe it isn't written for the latest Windowses. Oh well.

Can the patch be run within DOSbox, or is it an InstallShield dealie?

Also, as a general reference for everyone, this is a site with a great list of step-by-step instructions for getting lots of old games - especially adventure games - to run in Windows XP. I haven't seen any updates as far as getting things working in 7, but I think I will probably be running two PCs - one dedicated to old games - by the time they manage to drag me kicking-and-screaming into a Windows 7 installation.

http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Re: Master of Orion 2

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 am

Liu Yuante wrote:Can the [unofficial 1.40] patch be run within DOSbox

You'd think that's the way they'd do it, wouldn't you? But it's unforgiveably Windows, right down to the long filename. I guess I might try Compatibility Mode. Luckily the official patch is just a zip that you extract to the game directory.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 am

Wow blast from the past. I loved MoO2... I'm tempted I really am...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby gozmoz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:29 pm

there are other software that can run your old DOS games on Windows XP, Vista or 7. D-Fend Reloaded is the most famous one.
you can find it here:

http://www.spotht.com/2010/03/how-to-run-dos-games-in-windows-xp.html
gozmoz
Tyro

Unread postby jhoratio » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Guys, I'm having a heck of a time trying to install RTK 4 onto my Windows 7 PC. Any help? I installed DosBox and changed the configuration files per the instructions. However, when I try to open the game exe. file it tells me that it's a Windows file, not a DOS file. Then when I try to open the exe. file directly it tells me:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I went to the properties and played around with the compatibility per other entries in the thread, but nothing seems to work. Help please? I just want to play RTK!!
jhoratio
Tyro

Unread postby Dracaveli » Tue May 15, 2012 9:59 am

I use DOSbox 0.74 with windows 3.1 to play RTTK:IV wall of fire PC on VISTA64

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770 DOSBOX with WIn3.1 ready to run
It's real simply

This is my setup in dosbox.conf

[autoexec]
Mount C C:\DOSBOX
mount d G:\ -t cdrom (<-my virtual drive)
C:
windows.bat (<--located in my C:DOSBOX folder)

you'll have to put the game (all it's contents) in a subfolder of your DOSBOX folder

After launching windows3.1 Programs Manager should be the first window to pop up. Go to files--->run---->browse and search for rtk4win.exe

That's pretty much it for the game. to add the soundtrack you must mount a drive (virtual or Cd/dvd) in doxbox.conf

For the soundtrack I went to Kebooooooo's channel on youtube and downloaded the 11 songs with YTD Youtube download & converter (freeware). It will convert the flv to mp3 format then convert it to cdda audio cd format with daemon tools pro (trial version ) it will create a virtual audiocd.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB9C5364949BC50E&feature=plcp The RTTK IV pc soundtrack

When you create the audiocd add a dummy track to occupy the first slot, for some reason it reads track 2 as track 1, I use the first track twice

best bet is to use daemon tools pro (free trial) and create a audiocd image, mount it to the drive letter you set up in dosbox.conf. This way the game will run flawlessly without hanging to search the CD

Edit: if you use a regular cd for audio it must be in the first drive recognized, If you don't have dosbox (RTTK4 installs on win2000 and earlier) and use a virtualcd for the audio then you must change the drive letter to be the first drive recognized (do this through control panel->system and Maint->admin tools->comp mang->disk mang in vista64* I don't know the right local for win2000 but I assume it's the same)

RTTK4 is the only one I really like of the series I have it for Sega Saturn/Playstation and now Windows. The Live cutscenes are good on the SATURN/PS but the top/down detailed map interface rocks on WIndows
Dracaveli
Tyro

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven