Soccer teams?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

What soccer team do you support (if any)

Arsenal
14%
Manchester Utd
17%
Chelsea
7%
Liverpool
8%
AC Milllan
7%
Juventus
2%
Inter Millan
5%
Bayern Munich
3%
Other
37%

Total votes : 118

Re: Soccer teams?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:26 am

Thoughts on our new addition Sun Fin?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:33 pm

I think he is a good start. Our defense has been the weakest part of our team for a long time, high quality and experienced cover/competition for Bellerin can only be a good thing. However we still need some other signings. The Greek centre back we're linked to will be even better in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:17 am

Fills a hole as we had no rightback cover for Bellerin and help driving him on, seems like signed at least partly to give some expirence (7 titles and five international tournaments fits the bill) to team, cheap. When I have seen him play, he seems a good rather then great player and concerned at how long his energy can last but fairly happy
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 am

Sounds like we are in agreement - as a signal of intent it is a good start. It seems to be indicating that finally we are taking our defensive frailties seriously. However if that is the intended fix to the whole problem then it is a disaster.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am

May I congratulate Spain, on realizing the usual teams haven't made a shambles pre-world cup (despite Nike's best efforts to screw over Iran), on willingly sacrificing their hopes of glory by ousting their manager 48 hours before Portugal game? True heroes
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

It was a crazy, crazy decision!

Its been interesting first round of games! Some shock results - hats off to Mexico and Iceland in particular - and England even managed to win a game. Although they make us wait to the last minute, putting us on the rack!

Early favourites based on teams who have played well so far? I guess Spain and Portugal played a thriller, Belgium beat a poor Panama team comfortably. The other big names either drops points or just scrapped a win. I would suggest this World Cup is pretty open!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Thoughts on Leno?

For England, felt best we had played in first half in terms of movement and passing, just needed to take our chances which we somehow made a mess off and sloppy at back. Second half, ye olde England of sterile possesion and no movement, Southgate subs were good but very late

I don't know if the big teams are just not cohesive yet. Spain vs Portugal was a lot of fun with Spain looking really good at times but Costa not always on same wave length and conceded two stupid goals, Portugal looked overly reliant on Ronaldo going forward while they did concede three. Germany were tactically awful against Mexico, torn apart on counter and lacking a cutting edge till Brandt came on to give them width, Argentina look overly Messi reliant.

I would still fancy someone like Germany to sort themselves out or France and Portugal to just grind their way to victory.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

I don't follow much German football so I don't know tons about him but what I'm reading is positive and we absolutely needed a new goalkeeper! What about you?

Portugal are a one man team, but that didn't stop them winning the Euros. That one man is just very good. I do agree that neither team looked very impressive.

I agree with Germany/Brazil/Portugal to do it.

I think France have got the best squad but the worst manager and Belgium the 2nd best squad and the 2nd worst manager so I'm not expecting tons from them to be honest.

After the first round I'm hoping that Mexico go on to achieve something because they looked so exciting against Germany!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

What I have heard is that Leno is a skilled keeper in many ways but he got dropped by Germay after a poor camapign (it happens and a move away may help) and he keeps making sloppy errors. I imagine our coaching staff are confident they can get him to focus and cut out those errors, he is younger and probably better then Cech so still an upgrade and I'm glad we are moving quickly to improve problem areas.

Sorry to see Wilshire go?

France did get to Euro finals so I'm not ruling them out despite the chaos of Deschamps and yes, Belgium do not seem well set up at all.

I bet the Mexico manager is now rather more popular then he was preworld cup :lol: I suspect they will find other teams more defensive against them, be intresting to see how they handle that
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am

That sounds promising on the Leno front, lets hope he steps his game up quickly.

I am yeah, Wilshere is passionate and talented despite his injury problems. He bought some much needed spark at the end of the season, however Emery is making signings in areas we have long considered to be problem areas and seems keen to hang on to Ramsey so I'm trusting his judgement!

That is true - I wonder if Zidane had left Madrid a little sooner if they'd have been tempted by a change of manager too!

I don't know much about the state of Mexican football? Why was the manager so unpopular beforehand?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven