Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 am

Tomb Kings might be a faction of small groups of really strong units. So like Necrons from 40K I suppose.
I agree that they might fail as an AI opponent to a player with some fast skirmish units that can divide and surround their forces.
I really like archers and artillery, so I am looking forward to an undead faction with them heh.

While I like the Vampire Counts, I don't think Arkhan will benefit from generic skeletons and zombies but we shall see.

I don't know anything about Tretch Craventail so I cannot comment, but getting Stormvermin at a lower cost would be nice :lol:
I don't think getting a bonus to returning after being defeated would be a fun ability :-P I try to avoid getting my generals wiped out completely but it does happen I suppose.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:13 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:46 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Tomb Kings might be a faction of small groups of really strong units. So like Necrons from 40K I suppose.

Eh, that wouldn't be very accurate (their units have pretty similar stats to VC equivalents--Tomb Guard are Grave Guard with worse armor and different equipment), but CA has done weird stuff before.
Tomb Kings had one very notable special rule that I doubt will be implemented fully--"My Will Be Done". When a Tomb King or a Tomb Prince is in a unit, the entire unit uses the King/Prince's Weapon Skill instead of their own--so your 3 Weapon Skill Tomb Guard fight with Weapon Skill 6 (same as Swordmasters of Hoeth). Settra, I believe, can't join a unit because he's a chariot but instead gives this to all friendly units within a radius.

While I like the Vampire Counts, I don't think Arkhan will benefit from generic skeletons and zombies but we shall see.

My guess is he'll have low tier units that aren't already mirrored in the Tomb King roster--stuff like Fel Bats (already confirmed I think), Dire Wolves, maybe ghouls.

I don't know anything about Tretch Craventail so I cannot comment, but getting Stormvermin at a lower cost would be nice :lol:
I don't think getting a bonus to returning after being defeated would be a fun ability :-P I try to avoid getting my generals wiped out completely but it does happen I suppose.

They might remove the low cost Stormvermin since Queek's already got that.

I believe Tretch's special ability in tabletop is he can "teleport" from his current unit into a different nearby friendly one, but Total Warhammer doesn't have heroes joining units (which is still really weird since that's how both Warhammer AND previous Total War worked). The game engine doesn't do teleporting so most likely he'll get a speed bonus.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:17 pm

The "my will be done" might be a skill to put points in to give a buff to an army. As for being around the same strength as the VC, shucks, I was hoping for a small but elite undead force :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:13 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:The "my will be done" might be a skill to put points in to give a buff to an army. As for being around the same strength as the VC, shucks, I was hoping for a small but elite undead force :lol:

I expect they'll have somewhat better stats than VC equivalents because of the unit cap and since it makes sense from a writing perspective--Tomb King undead still have their souls/varying degrees of memory while the VC just raise meat puppets, but they had the same stats on the tabletop because of the narrow range used for stats.

Edit:
Tomb King gameplay and confirmation of Craventail as free Skaven lord.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-aXyiLim2k
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am

Love TWW2 so much.

Probably not as much as you guys here but I've racked up a measly 150 hours, with the majority of it through multiplayer alone. Finished all 4 Vortex campaigns, though I haven't finished a Mortal Empires campaign due to the end of turn and load times. Both TWW and TWW2 have actually opened my eyes to the lore and have started reading the novels. It's probably my favourite fantasy universe right now, even surpassing the Tolkienverse.

It's also the first game that I've actually tried out multiplayer in and it's been such a blast. I'm not very good at microing units but with each faction's strengths and unit diversity, it's been a steady climb up the ladder just by useful army building. In fact, I find a lot of my joy comes from theorycrafting armies over actually fighting other folk; which actually causes stress on my part. Highest I've placed is rank 791 and I'm still trying to get up there!

Tomb Kings is very exciting. I like the look and the lore of the folks, though I'm sensing that it might be a faction I might misplay due to the use of chariots. Chariot units, even from the previous TW games, have been the units I've had trouble using the most. But the hype is still pretty real on them and I've got it pre-ordered.

Very, very excited that there's at least a few guys here who love the game as well. Now I have folks to talk to about it :D
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 am

I honestly don't know how many/if any mods the other posters here use, but if you do use them this may prove helpful:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... _released/
*Shows more at once than the built-in manager.
*Warns you about conflicts between mods and lets you set priority for what mods take precedence in conflicts.
*Lets you set up profiles so you can activate specific mod sets more easily.

*
One thing a few people have discussed on other forums is that they wish instead of the "rivals" DLC packs game 1 did if they do faction specific packs so we could get more characters/lords. So instead of a pack with 1 new lord for Dark Elves and High Elves, we'd get a pack for each with 2 lords.
I'd personally be in favor if it, but what does everyone think?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 am

Gray Riders wrote:One thing a few people have discussed on other forums is that they wish instead of the "rivals" DLC packs game 1 did if they do faction specific packs so we could get more characters/lords. So instead of a pack with 1 new lord for Dark Elves and High Elves, we'd get a pack for each with 2 lords.
I'd personally be in favor if it, but what does everyone think?


I'd prefer that. I'd love for factions to be more complete sooner than later. Anything to get my beloved Druchii some new lords and units is a-okay by me!
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 am

Mikhail wrote:Love TWW2 so much.

Probably not as much as you guys here but I've racked up a measly 150 hours, with the majority of it through multiplayer alone. Finished all 4 Vortex campaigns, though I haven't finished a Mortal Empires campaign due to the end of turn and load times. Both TWW and TWW2 have actually opened my eyes to the lore and have started reading the novels. It's probably my favourite fantasy universe right now, even surpassing the Tolkienverse.

It's also the first game that I've actually tried out multiplayer in and it's been such a blast. I'm not very good at microing units but with each faction's strengths and unit diversity, it's been a steady climb up the ladder just by useful army building. In fact, I find a lot of my joy comes from theorycrafting armies over actually fighting other folk; which actually causes stress on my part. Highest I've placed is rank 791 and I'm still trying to get up there!

Tomb Kings is very exciting. I like the look and the lore of the folks, though I'm sensing that it might be a faction I might misplay due to the use of chariots. Chariot units, even from the previous TW games, have been the units I've had trouble using the most. But the hype is still pretty real on them and I've got it pre-ordered.

Very, very excited that there's at least a few guys here who love the game as well. Now I have folks to talk to about it :D


Glad you are enjoying the game. To be honest I have completed only 3 Vortex Campaigns as I kinda dislike the Dark Elves :lol: I am trying to do a campaign with them now but I don't like them as much though it isn't as much of a slog like the Skaven were (at least until I managed to defeat the Last Defenders, got a bit smoother after that)

I haven't really touched multiplayer, mainly because I am not all that good at the game, I just have a blast playing it :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:13 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Glad you are enjoying the game. To be honest I have completed only 3 Vortex Campaigns as I kinda dislike the Dark Elves :lol: I am trying to do a campaign with them now but I don't like them as much though it isn't as much of a slog like the Skaven were (at least until I managed to defeat the Last Defenders, got a bit smoother after that)


Druchii AP missiles are so good. Gives them so much versatility, especially for their cost. Furthermore, Malekith is a top tier Legendary Lord and the Witch Elves are arguably one of the most powerful units in the game. Plus their sadistic nature is fun. Good natured factions can get boring at times.

I haven't really touched multiplayer, mainly because I am not all that good at the game, I just have a blast playing it :lol:


That's very fair. Campaign and multiplayer definitely require different sets of skills and to be honest, even with my relatively high rank, I still can say that Im not very good at most things in the game. Especially with things such as basic unit movements and flanking.

However, the mental competition of trying to guess and out pick your opponent is a very thrilling experience. It allows for some relatively varied matches.

If anyone wanted to dip their toes into the multiplayer scene, here is a guide by a top 200 player and youtube streamer. He's very good and I've read through an older version of the guide and I agree with a lot of what he says.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YFf ... obilebasic
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm

New patch notes are out for the TK update.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tomb-kings-patch-notes

Very interesting stuff. Bretonnia was buffed while the Dwarfs campaign strength was nerfed.

Also, I believe the new Skaven lord will be incoming soon.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
 
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved