Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Yeah the High Elves are quite powerful. I am playing as Tyrion and I am on my fourth ritual. Chaos is getting a bit bothersome but as long as I pull my main armies back to defend before triggering one. Love the mounted archers, as long as I can micro them they can tear apart the AI's infantry.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Mortal Empires gameplay is coming out from LPers.
*The Old World factions seem to have some new starting units--Orion has changed too but I'm not sure about the other Old World factions.
*Queek's replaced his Rat Ogres, Fire Thrower, and Stormvermin with a Warp Lightning Cannon, Gutter Runners slingers, and Sword+Shield Stormvermin (two units of them, like with the halberds in the vortex). He also starts with some skavenbrew for those cold winter nights.
*Empire has three new technologies attached to a new "Imperial Academy" building. The techs are already in-game for the Empire factions in vortex. The exact effects may change but currently they are:
Academic Fencing--+3 attack and defense for lords and heroes.
Good Statesmanship--+10% income to settlements (the main structure ONLY--not income buildings)
Guildmaster Professors-+15% income to trade-good structures
Nothing amazing. The new academy itself is fairly good. It costs 10,000 and needs a tier 5 settlement but gives the following:
*+4 recruit rank to Captains
*+2 recruit rank to Lords
*+10% research rate--the real MVP
*-1 turn recruit time to Greatswords and Great Cannons
*+1 recruit rank to artillery

Greenskins and Vampires also seem to have new buildings (and everyone has structures for the new trade goods).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 am

I like the -1 turn recruit time to great cannons and +1 rank to artillery. I love loading up on Artillery as Empire and just bombarding the AI. Against small armies you can route them before they even come into range :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:48 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I like the -1 turn recruit time to great cannons and +1 rank to artillery. I love loading up on Artillery as Empire and just bombarding the AI. Against small armies you can route them before they even come into range :lol:

Looking at the files the Empire Artillery has been buffed for game 2: Hellblaster does a bit more damage but it's range increased from 230 to 300 so it's going to shred units now--image one firing on Skaven infantry...

The Dwarfs got in on the artillery buff party too; Organ Gun got a small range increase but another accuracy buff and a rather large damage increase, and their cannon got a big accuracy buff and some more damage.

Cannons in general seem to do more damage and have better accuracy.
Last edited by Gray Riders on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Oh, that is going to be fantastic, the Imperial Artillery is one of my favorite parts of the faction. If I am not mistaken you were the one who pointed out how good they would be to me. I used to favor heavy cavalry and bemoan the lack of range in Empire archers :lol:
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Mortal empire patch notes:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-em ... atch-notes
Night/Gutter runner nerf seems questionable to me.
Seems very high loyalty Lords will now generate events like how low loyalty ones do now (probably good ones since it mentions getting magic items added for these events).

Notes on Old World unit changes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... r/dov7xxr/

Edit:
A topic on reddit alerted me that Greatswords have received a very large buff--Honest Steel now effects them as well so that +8 attack and defense if you put 3 points into it (as you should to help all your other infantry).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Started a Mortal Empires Empire game. So far changes are minimal. Clashing with Vampire counts, am a bit out of practice so more close victories and a Pyrrhic victory heh. Thank goodness for Outriders and Pistoliers running circles around the slow undead units heh. Though I do have to question the fact that after I exterminated the entire undead army they suddenly still have 15 half full stacks of troops :lol:
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:29 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Started a Mortal Empires Empire game. So far changes are minimal. Clashing with Vampire counts, am a bit out of practice so more close victories and a Pyrrhic victory heh. Thank goodness for Outriders and Pistoliers running circles around the slow undead units heh. Though I do have to question the fact that after I exterminated the entire undead army they suddenly still have 15 half full stacks of troops :lol:

One interesting change with the Empire is that Boris starts out more friendly than in game 1. Some other changes I've noticed:
*Most (all?) of the special capitals start at level 1.
*Wood Elves are more hostile towards Skarsnik--in game 1 they'd usually agree to a non-agression pact but they hate him now and may declare war early.
*Von Carstein starts with a level 3 settlement.

Apparently Chaos now works like game 2 which has annoyed people--they appear all over the place instead of the Chaos Wastes so they can just teleport into the middle of Ulthuan.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am

So, Mortal Empires has been out for a little while. What do people think?

I overall like it, though with the old world races unless you are either Britannia, or start in the south you probably won't deal with the new content until after the Chaos invasion which makes sense but at the same time kinda makes it just a modified version of the old game until many many hours into the game.

I haven't played much with the western forces but I would think it would make little sense to move east until after Chaos is defeated after all who wants to deal with that mess?

I did hear that the Chaos popping up everywhere was a bug and should be fixed either in the patch that recently happened or an upcoming patch. Though you would have to start a new game or have a save that happens before Chaos appears.

I would imagine that the western factions have an advantage due to not having the Everchosen knocking at their gates.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Someone's uploaded a mod to fix a bug that's been in since game 1: settlements with more than 20 garrison units will only use 20, but it prioritizes weaker units--so if Altdorf has too many units it'll drop the Steam Tank first.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1200545620
This is also fixed if you use larger army sizes:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthre ... ere-is-how!
Should still work in Warhammer 2 even though the tutorial is for Rome 2. Quest Battles aren't balanced for it, though, so it's not a perfect solution--the mod is a better fit at the moment.
Skaven are one race that feel really off. The basic game mechanics (every army raises all your armies expenses significantly) pushes them towards a small number of elite armies (the opposite of how Skaven should work), and the Food mechanic pushes them further in that direction as well as taking over as few cities as possible, which is also incredibly un-Skaven-like.

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:So, Mortal Empires has been out for a little while. What do people think?

So far disappointing--the old world races still feel neglected. Still we know an update is coming for them so I'll reserve final judgement until then.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven