What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:44 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:Pokemon GO. It has only just come out here in the UK but I can't believe I'm the only member on our board to be playing it?

Playing it now. Run out pokeballs already which is going to be annoying I suspect, I do like the collection system and the pokemon look cute, the ability to evolve, the way it uses the local area is impressive. Had always been intrested in Pokemon but never had the handheld consoles and didn't want to get them just for pokemon

There's so many good games for DS though! Ace Attorney for some courtroom drama and humorous elements. Profesor Layton for a proper English gentleman who never leaves a puzzle unsolved. Remakes and new Legend of Zelda games. Scribblenauts, Mario Party, Mario Kart...there's a lot there to enjoy. The only thing with the Pokemon games is that they release two, each with their own legendary, and then release a third later that has both of them - the third is the one you want.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:04 pm

I've been replaying the DS game Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans. In the "old" days there were a ton of Dragon Ball RPGs on the NES and one one the SNES. AOTS has better mechanics than them, but the older games let you deviate from the series' story and had an extra party member (Chiaotzu isn't usable in AOTS, but was in the old games).
The game covers from just before the 23rd World Tournament to Vegeta's defeat on earth. Usable characters are Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha (whose actually really overpowered. I'm not kidding!). It adds a ton of extra things to fill out the game length, like a hunt for the dragon balls while Goku is dead, and some fights with Raditz in hell. A bit of "post-game" content and a superboss that was controversial:
Broly. In a saiyan saga game.

It never got a sequel despite being very popular in the fanbase, possibly because they weren't sure how to make a full RPG party in a Namek based game that followed the official story.

Bush Leagues wrote:The only thing with the Pokemon games is that they release two, each with their own legendary, and then release a third later that has both of them - the third is the one you want.

The last two generations both avoided this, though; BW2 didn't have both in one game and XY aren't getting a third version at all. Waiting for the third game isn't always a safe bet now.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:Pokemon GO. It has only just come out here in the UK but I can't believe I'm the only member on our board to be playing it?

Playing it now. Run out pokeballs already which is going to be annoying I suspect, I do like the collection system and the pokemon look cute, the ability to evolve, the way it uses the local area is impressive. Had always been intrested in Pokemon but never had the handheld consoles and didn't want to get them just for pokemon

There's so many good games for DS though! Ace Attorney for some courtroom drama and humorous elements. Profesor Layton for a proper English gentleman who never leaves a puzzle unsolved. Remakes and new Legend of Zelda games. Scribblenauts, Mario Party, Mario Kart...there's a lot there to enjoy. The only thing with the Pokemon games is that they release two, each with their own legendary, and then release a third later that has both of them - the third is the one you want.

I'm not saying it isn't a good console but only Act Attorney catches my eye. Handheld gaming hasn't tended to catch my eye so prefer my resources to be put elsewhere

Started Dragon Age Inquisition, got the world building and humour but dislike the constant v pressing for searching, worry it is going to be too large for my taste and not sure about the combat system yet.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:00 pm

My sister and I have started the co-op game Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (not connected to the new Tomb Raider's, very much the cheeky much tomb raider figure), we thought the demo was decent and PSN sale made it very cheap. Much better so far then we were expecting. Fighting against ordinary things isn't boring but it is something they are right to keep very quick as it is simple, unexciting stuff a little hampered by overly complex controls. The boss battles however? Those are worth it, each different way to beat them from each other and decently imposing, the "run like the clappers" stuff is fun, one can sabotage each other's points if your so inclined, little bonuses to hunt and pick up.

The big draw are the puzzles. A fair few co-op games go "right, two players? Up the enemies a bit, everything else stays", this tailors the way puzzle works out to if single player, 2, 3 or 4. Some puzzles will rely more on Lara Croft (my sis) abilities, others more on my Horus staff but it will require both of us as we try to work out the right-path/angles, how to use what is around us and so on. Never feels too complicated, the answer is always logical and never felt it gave too little time.

Not all of it feels well made, story is not well done and a bit silly, voice-work could be better as could dialogue though some good humour, it isn't always easy to tell what height your at which can be an issue sometimes with jumps. Also could lose my character when things got busy leading to some stupid deaths.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:My sister and I have started the co-op game Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (not connected to the new Tomb Raider's, very much the cheeky much tomb raider figure), we thought the demo was decent and PSN sale made it very cheap.....

Finished after about three afternoons but we knew it was a short game. Pretty much what we originally thought, fun puzzles, big bosses, sometimes elements of gameplay could have been tighter. The final boss is a bit of a grind
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 pm

I've recently starting playing Seven Days to Die, which is a zombie survival crafting game; and it's honestly a bit outside my usual wheelhouse. I don't mind zombie games in general, but have only played a few, and only one I've enjoyed a great deal, Left 4 Dead, which is a decent FPS with a strong teamwork element. The hardest difficulty made it legitimately difficult to finish a campaign. Playing with friends was always fun; and for crafting, I've played Minecraft, for instance, but without others to play with, it kind of lacks the enjoyment I would want to invest a lot of time in it. While I think I would definitely have more fun if I had friends who played with me in 7 Days to Die, even solo is enjoyable enough to keep me coming back for now.

So the big elements of 7DtD are the crafting, survival, and RPG aspects. The crafting is actually quite deep, despite being only in an alpha version right now. There's a lot of different stuff you can make; and many recipes require specific items to do them. So, take cooking, which is pretty straightforward. First you need a campfire, which is pretty easy, just gather some rocks. But to really cook anything worth having (either boiling water to make it safe to drink or reasonable food), you need a cooking pot, which very early in the game you won't be able to craft, so you have to go scavenging for it. Then you can also find (or if it takes you a while to find, eventually make) a cooking grill, to get even better food. Then you can make advanced stuff, like bio-fuel, with a beaker as well. There's also a forge you can create that lets you turn a lot of raw materials into useful ores (iron, lead, brass, and so on) that you can use to create more advanced things.

The survival aspect is also there, and not just from the obvious threat of the zombies, either; they certainly will kill you quick if you surrounded or otherwise backed into a corner and cannot deal with many of them quickly (and it's not easy to get a gun that can handle a lot of zombies easily; you can expect to use a bow and arrows for a good while), you can die pretty quickly. But other aspects like eating and drinking have to be handled, but also weather and other health factors. So for instance, if you're stuck in the desert and don't have a good way to cool off, you can start to get overheated, and begin to experience heat stroke. If you don't deal with it some way (either finding shelter, removing or adding clothes to cool off, or drinking a beverage that will cool you down), you can overheat to the point of dying. Likewise for the snowy areas, you can develop hypothermia and die in a similar way. It can even happen in temperate biomes if you're not careful. Just last night I was exploring the area around my main base some, and was travelling through a normally temperate forest biome. Well it was raining the whole day, and I had forgotten to bring my jacket along before I left. The combination of being wet (which the game tracks), along with the colder day because of the cloud coverage made my core temperature drop very low; several times I had to stop and build a campfire because I was in danger of freezing to death. Infection (including Zombie-itis!), Dysentery, and sprained limbs are all things you also have to contend with if things go south for you, although there are ways of dealing with it; but if it's not available to you, you may have to go hunting for a solution.

Finally, the RPG elements, which surprised me in how many there are and how deep they actually go. There is a level, skill, and perk system in the game, and it offers a lot of choices in how you can build your character as you play through the game. So there are skills for virtually everything you do - using each class of weapon (blunt weapons, bladed weapons, archery, pistols, magnums, shotguns, rifles), crafting tools and weapons, crafting miscellaneous items, using mining items (like the fireaxe, shovel, and pickaxe), athletics, and so on. These all develop naturally as you use them, improving your abilities with them by some amount. These increases in your skills, along with killing enemies, all contribute toward your experience, and you level up when you get enough, giving you a number of skill points. These skill points can be spent in the skills themselves, or saved to buy perks which give various benefits. "The Survivor" perk reduces how hungry you get over time, and increases your wellness (a general measure of how healthy you are) gain from various sources. "Miner 69er" increases your effectiveness with mining tools, and so on. There are plenty of perks for combat-focused and non-combat focused characters, and so you have plenty of options, no matter what kind of style you develop.

If you're big on the survival crafting style game, this is something you would be well-served by looking into. It's still in alpha stages, but is quite functional, and if you have the chance to play with friends, I'm willing to bet it would be a ton of fun to try and survive the zombies, including the "horde attacks" that come every 7th night - hence the name of the game in the first place.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby danuracula » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:10 am

I'm playing Dynasty War on android/ios

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
"He who wins people, prospers; he who loses them, fails. Your present plan should be to seek humans of high aims and farseeing views, and you can establish yourself firmly."
danuracula
Apprentice

Unread postby Aaron.K » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 am

Been playing a bunch of old DOS games recently, also finished a playthrough of GTA Vice City on PC recently too. Still playing modded Morrowind and modded Rome 1 and Medieval 2 as well. Occasionally dabble in mods for Mount and Blade Warband, but currently I'm playing the Viking Conquest DLC for it. I also still play UnReal World on a sporadic basis.

About to do a playthrough of Deus Ex sometime soon too, once I have time to commit to another RPG.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 am

I started a new playthrough of FE Fates: Conquest, this time using some characters which never saw the light of day before.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:10 pm

I have picked up TIE Fighter again, it has been a while since I have played it (using GOG for it) Maybe it is my current operating system but the game is crashing more often then I remember doing so.
I got quite frustrated last night as I am currently in the first expansion and have a mission where I have to drive off an attack of TIE Defenders and Assault Transports, they are targeting my Star Destroyer then after they finish it off they move against a Space Station I have to protect. Well, I can finish the primary objective without a problem, however the secondary objective (Disable and capture at least one of the TIE Defenders) causes me issues. Well, I can disable it and if I am lucky prevent my allies from blowing it up, however the station sends out a TUG to pick it up, the TUG is extremely slow and without the very useful time acceleration (times 4 is max) it takes 32 minutes for the TUG to get to the fighter to grab it and then 15 to 20 minutes to bring it back. The game loves to crash sometime in that time frame and even with time acceleration it is a pain in the butt to constantly replay the mission.
Otherwise this is my favorite Star Wars game and love booting it up every once in a while.

Oh, and I love/hate the excuses they give for not giving you many allied ships for most of the missions to cover up the fact that the engine couldn't handle so many ships in the area. My Star Destroyer which can carry upwards of 6 squadrons of 12 fighters happens to only be carrying 2 squadrons for some reason. Or for a previous mission where I have a Victory class Star Destroyer who for some reason instead of carrying it's 24 fighters has 3 TIE Bombers and 1 TIE Advanced. :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven