[mod] SNES RoTK2: NSF2

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

[mod] SNES RoTK2: NSF2

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 pm

It's been a long time -- certainly longer than I planned, but at last, NSF2 (Name Stat Fix 2) is ready for release! Naturally, I give Koei full permission to use this mod.

For the mod: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bg535ifi114y18l/NSF2.zip
For pictures:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/wqpx0gurv ... anYong.png
http://www.mediafire.com/view/hyp9j7e5p ... HanHao.png
http://www.mediafire.com/view/avnltw0aw ... gCheng.png
http://www.mediafire.com/view/da8jtai5v ... hangJi.png
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8807wc8pl ... ldiers.png

This is just an IPS, so you'll need an english copy of RoTK2 (no, I can't provide them). Technically there are two IPSes, but you'll only want to use one of them. If your original, unmodded file is 1049088 bytes, use the file NSF2 Headered 1049088.ips, and if your original, unmodded file is 1048576 bytes, use the file NSF2 Headerless 1048576.ips. You really shouldn't try this with a previously modded file, and if your original, unmodded file is some other size you should contact me.

That said, NSF2 has a ton of updates over the original:

* With one exception, every officer's int/war/charm have been updated -- historical officers are based on historical data, while fictional officers are based on the novel. The one exception is Yang Ping, as he only exists in a japanese-only work of fiction.
* Names have been corrected, plus repeated names have been adjusted to prevent total repeats (so Zhang Yi, Zhang Yi, and Zhang Yi are now Zhang Yi, Zhang Ni, and Zhang Junsi). Note that RoTK2's limitations (no 8-letter names, max of 13 characters including the space) mean that Dongtuna (formerly Dong Tuno) is Dong Tuna and Jinhuansanjie (formerly Jinhuan Jie) is Jinhuan Sanji.
* As with NSF1, every single force is playable. Scenarios 1 and 2 have a minor glitch: New Ruler defaults to province 2 wherever you picked, but during the ruler editing you can pick your preferred province and it'll stick.
* The hidden stats (Duty, Virtue, and Ambition) have also been updated. No longer will Liu Biao sit like a log and vegetate -- as in real life, he'll be surprisingly active!
* About half of all generic officers now have a unique face. Important and high-stat generics have been prioritized, but in the future (hopefully the near future!) an update will give the rest unique faces.
* Birthdates have been adjusted to the best of my knowledge. Some, such as Zhang Shusi (formerly Zhang Xiou) are notably younger; some others are notably older.
* Death dates have been adjusted as well. If an officer historically died of natural causes, then starting in that year they have a 25% chance per year of dying. Of course, those who died of unnatural causes (war, execution, etc.) retain the usual age of 67+ years -- which means people like Sun Jian and Sun Ce may last far longer than in the original version.
* Officers have been moved and assigned for accuracy reasons. Everybody know that Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei started together, but not everyone realizes that Jian Yong came from the same town -- which means Jian Yong is with them as early as scenario 1.
* Autojoins have been updated. If you want Zhang Hu (formerly the lesser Zhang He) in your force, now the surest way is to recruit his father, Zhang Liao, and hold on to him!
* Yong Kai was the original rebel in Nanzhong, not Meng Huo. Therefore, Yong Kai is the starting Nanman ruler in scenarios 5 and 6. Of course, if he dies, nothing prevents Meng Huo from succeeding him...
* Loyalties have been updated as well. For example, Liu Pan is Liu Biao's nephew, so there's no reason for him to have only 85 loyalty.
* Soldier counts were tweaked for every scenario; just because two forces have the same number of officers, it doesn't mean they're the same strength! It even reflects power structures; in scenario 1, for example, while Liu Biao has only 80 soldiers, "common officer" Huang Zu has a full 50 soldiers under his control.
* There are no longer any surrender-proof rulers. If you beat them down enough, you can even convince Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sun Quan to surrender to you!
* Starting hostilities have been added, courtesy of darkmoon2321's coding. Liu Bei and his friend Gongsun Zan have a mere 20 hostility in the scenarios they both show up, while in Dong Zhuo's only scenario, most forces hate him with a passion!
* Starting trusts have been added, courtesy of darkmoon2321's coding. Dong Zhuo's starting hostility is naturally 0, while Li Jue's isn't that much better. Trust even changes from scenario to scenario for a couple rulers.
* The number of active officers has been increased, courtesy of darkmoon2321. No longer will you have to execute low-stat officers or wait for old officers to do to get new ones!
* Finally, provinces 39 and 41 have been redrawn on the world map; I got tired of province 41 having a long shoreline province in battle, yet being fully landlocked on the world map.

So what happens after this? Four changes to NSF2 are planned:
(1) Unique faces will be given to the remaining generic officers. When this is done, there should be zero generics!
(2) "Early" officers will be added. "Early" officers are officers known for being active before 220 (yet not in vanilla RoTK2), such as He Qi, Cui Yan, Gongsun Du, and Huangfu Song.
(3) "Late" officers will be added. "Late" officers are officers known for being active after 220 (yet not in vanilla RoTK2), such as Zhuge Zhan, Lu Kang, Xiahou Xuan, and Sima Yan.
(4) Post-220 scenarios to use the later officers. Why include someone that comes of age in 252 if the last scenario starts in 220?
And, hopefully, the minor glitch will be fixed.

Special thanks go out to Gamefaqs' entire SNES RoTK2 board, but especially to Kawaiifan/Cutefan, darkmoon2321, ServantOfMagnus, and Marsil79.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods