Is it possible to change rank titles? [RTKXI]

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Is it possible to change rank titles? [RTKXI]

Unread postby King Shrykull » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:37 am

As the subject states, I've been wondering if the Hex Editor allows us to change the names of the ranks in RTKXI. I've always wanted to mess about with them to try and make a ranking system that isn't confusing.

If so, could the stat bonuses also be changed? For example, could I change the stat bonus of one rank from POL+5 to INT+5, or to WAR+3 and so on.

Would be amazing if I could do this as I've been thinking of making a Game of Thrones themed ranking system (with ranks and titles like "Warden of the North", "Master of Coin" etc).

Thanks in advance. :)
King Shrykull
Tyro

Re: Is it possible to change rank titles? [RTKXI]

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 am

Yes it's possible. First open up the scenario.s11 file that should be in Program Files/Koei/Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI/Media/Scenario folder. You should copy that file first and save it somewhere else as a backup in case something goes wrong, then look for the rank Prime Minister, since that's where the ranks start.
Here's how the code looks:

50 72 69 6D 65 20 4D 69 6E 69 73 74 65 72 00 04 04 0A FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 FF FF 98 3A 03 05 3C 00

Name- type the name of the rank here, I'm going off memory here so might actually be a few numbers shorter than this, so try not to make the rank names too long (can have at least 20 letters, I never tried more than that and it may not work with more and could frig up everything else) and always make sure you end it with 00 after the last letter of the name.

Troops- This is the amount of troops the rank can have, in this case its 3a98 which is 15,000, have to reverse the 2 numbers here.

Stat and bonus, the first number is the stat to raise with the numbers meaning this:
00 LDR
01 WAR
02 INT
03 POL
04 CHR

And the 2nd number is the amount it's raised. So changing 03 05 to 00 0A means that it now gives +10 to LDR.

Pay, here it's set to 3C which is 60.

If you need more help, feel free to ask. Once you change one rank successfully, the rest will be easy and the leader ranks can also be changed in a similar way although their code is different, let me know if you need help with that too. You can also give me a list of what you want changed and I can change it myself for you if you can't get it to work. :)
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby King Shrykull » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:18 am

Valvatorez wrote:If you need more help, feel free to ask.

I suppose my first question would be what the best Hex Editor is to use. I've not actually gotten around to acquiring one yet (I kinda wanted to know the extent of what I can change before I started using one). Got any reccomendations at all? From what I've seen there's quite a few, some better than others. It's a little overwhelming. :shock:
King Shrykull
Tyro

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:44 am

Whoops, I thought you were familiar with all this :lol:
But like I said, I can help you through it if you need help.
I use HxD, it's free and pretty easy to use.

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

The download is halfway down the page, you can also just Google it for other links.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby King Shrykull » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:01 am

Valvatorez wrote:Whoops, I thought you were familiar with all this :lol:

Haha, no. This is my first leap into Hex Editing. I'll install HxD and get back to you if I come across any issues. :)
King Shrykull
Tyro

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:35 am

Ah, it's ok. Don't feel bad, everyone has to learn somewhere :)

So I will show a step by step then, hopefully this can help you or anyone new, and you can just ignore what you figured out on your own lol.
Changing the names of stuff is the easiest thing to hex edit by far.

1.) Like I said, copy the scenario.s11 file and save it as backup, also can make a new folder for it somewhere you can actually edit it, so you don't have to deal with administrator errors by editing the main file.

2.) In HxD, click your mouse on the right hand side somewhere, like on the KOEI%San letters or anywhere on the right, then click on Search, then Find and type "Prime" then click OK. That should bring you to the Prime Minister rank.

3.) Highlight and copy all the way down the ranks until you get to where Flying General is. Then click File/New and paste the ranks into the new file, then where it says 16 near the top, change that to 33 and it should look like this:

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (107.42 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

That will help you see everything evenly and can just go down the list and what to change.

4.) Again on the right, click on Prime Minister, and type in the name you want for the rank, I will use the "Warden of the North" example you listed, then when done, click on the last letter of the name on the left side and make sure the next number after that is 00, and it should look like this:

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (23.11 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

5.) The stats and bonus are under the numbers 1D and 1E in the example, change those and whatever other names you want.

6.) Copy that and paste back into the scenario.s11 file and put it in the Rotk folder if you moved it, and test it out and it should work. Note that some of my numbers will be different because I edited them already.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:56 am

Just to chime in, pretty much anything superficial about the game, that isn't graphics, can be changed using hex fairly easily. So names, titles, stats, city data, items (yes you can add new ones), faces, defense values of buildings, unit damage, even tactic will usage, you can change it all.

In terms of game mechanics, there have been no breakthroughs. The key data is probably compressed, which requires actual knowledge of working with hex, and any programs that alter game mechanics are generally not in English, designed for the PUK, etc.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby King Shrykull » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Valvatorez wrote:If you need more help, feel free to ask. Once you change one rank successfully, the rest will be easy and the leader ranks can also be changed in a similar way although their code is different, let me know if you need help with that too.

*Raises hand*

This hadn't actually crossed my mind. I suppose I might as have a go at changing those as well. :)
King Shrykull
Tyro

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:50 am

Oh you're back, hopefully you got the ranks to work?
For the actual leader ranks like Emperor and so on, it's pretty much exactly the same thing, except the whole code for each rank is only 20 bytes, and 15 max for the names. The last 2 set of numbers are the amount of troops each rank can have. There's 2 numbers before that, but it's been so long since I touched them that I forgot what those are :oops:
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby foosoomin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:53 am

How to change the Deeds value ? I mean ability to change the deed, then able to command number of troops
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods