ROTK11 Random Scenarios

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: ROTK11 Random Scenarios

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 am

Awesome stuff, Zetta.

Zetta wrote:I've just updated the randomizer to v1.05.

Do I just download that and the Python reader automatically picks it up? Or should I delete the previous file?

If you check the Random Lifespans box, you should be able to play a scenario with the few officers born way before year 184.

Does this mean someone like Yang Hu could possibly appear as early as 184? Or am I misunderstanding?

The officer randomizer, when checked, changes only stats, weapons APT and skills for all the first 670 officers.

I kind of thought it might be neat to randomize the stat growth as well, make it possible for more officers to end up with the "open stat growth" setting or something. But then again, that setting is kind of bad news with any stat above, say, 60 or so because it will just shoot right up to the max.

Would randomizing liked/disliked officers be difficult to implement? The in-game option just deletes everything. That's the only other stuff I could imagine the officer randomizer feature being handy for. Everything else that would be sensible is basically covered by the program and game itself, yeah?

The only other suggestion I could possibly make is, I noticed that the "low starting tech" setting can vary rather wildly from a couple of level 1 techs to having a bunch of level 1s and quite a few level 2s. The variance itself is fine, but it feels a little off to get forces with so much level 2 tech on the "low starting tech" setting? I don't know, it's just a thought, it's probably fine as is but I thought it couldn't hurt to bring up.

Actually, maybe I should write a little something about how each option of the randomizer works and what it affects...

A lot of it is fairly self-explanatory after playing around with the options. I'm just inquisitive. :lol:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zetta » Wed May 20, 2015 10:43 am

Calamitus wrote:Which means it works on PUK now?

I have implemented two new types of scenario files that are supported: those which are 169 822 bytes long (chinese I think) and 167 559 bytes long (Japanese). Although I couldn't alpha-test it since I don't have the chinese or japanese version of the game, these randomized scenarios should work fine. I only used downloaded scenarios on foreign forums as a reference material. If you would like to try it and if you do encounter bugs of any kind though, I'd like to hear about them.

Zyzyfer wrote:Do I just download that and the Python reader automatically picks it up? Or should I delete the previous file?

You can just download and double click the new 1.05 file and Python will launch it. You can keep the previous version if you want, but it's not necessary. Both are standalone versions.

Zyzyfer wrote:Does this mean someone like Yang Hu could possibly appear as early as 184? Or am I misunderstanding?

No, the "Randomize Lifespans" doesn't change birthdates. It only changes life expectancy (random number between 30 and 99 years old) and the year the officer becomes available (each officer will become randomly available when he is between 15 and 30 years old).

I'll be thinking about an option to completely randomize liked/disliked officers. About the general "balance" of the randomizer, this is open to discussion or can be modified to personal tastes. I'll expand a bit on this in my next post.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Zetta » Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 am

How RandOTK11 works: First of all, each time you launch the Randomize button, the scenario you have chosen is made "blank" by default. Each force, city, officer and so on is set to "free". No troops, no equipment and so on... Then, the randomizer picks your settings to randomize the scenario:

Starting Year: lets you choose the starting year for your random scenario by keyboard input. The starting month is random, though. Any input between 0 and 300 can be accepted. If you enter anything else, or if you let this space empty, the starting year will be randomly set between year 160 and year 300. With the help of this starting date, the program automatically updates the 670 officers to a relevant status: dead, not available or searchable and creates a list of available officers to be used for the randomization.

Number of Forces: accepts any number between 2 and 42. Any other input (like "abc") or no input will pick a random number between 2 and 42.

Minimum free cities: set to 0 by default. If you choose more free cities than what is possible, the number of free cities will be "42 - number of forces". This option will remove random cities before creating forces. Note that you can still get free cities during the scenario creation, even if you put 0 here.

Randomize Officers: If checked, the randomizer will create 5 types of random officers, each with 20% chance of appearing.
Hero:
Spear-Pike-Bows-Cavalry-Navy - B to S
Weaponry - C to S
LDR WAR - 65 to 100
INT POL CHR - 65 to 95

Strategist:
Spear-Pike - C to A
Bows-Weaponry-Navy - B to S
Cavalry - C to S
LDR WAR - 50 to 80
INT POL CHR - 75 to 100

General:
Spear-Pike-Bows-Cavalry-Weaponry-Navy - C to S
LDR WAR - 80 to 97
INT POL - 40 to 80
CHR - 80 to 93

Standard:
Spear-Pike-Bows-Cavalry-Weaponry-Navy - C to A
LDR WAR INT POL CHR - 20 to 60

Random:
Spear-Pike-Bows-Cavalry-Weaponry-Navy - C to S
LDR WAR INT POL CHR - around 3 to 79

For skill distribution there are different conditions (such as having more than 75 in a specific stat or having an S rank in weapon APT and more than 85 WAR).

Randomize Lifespans: If you check it, every officer will have a new random lifespan from 30 to 99 years old. Officers will also get a new "available" date: they'll become randomly available from 15 to 30 years old. This doesn't affect natural / unnatural death settings and doesn't change birthdate.

Historical Leaders: when checked, the randomizer will create forces using the following list of leaders (if possible, if not, any officer can become a leader):
9 Yuan Yi
16,17,18 Yuan Shu, Yuan Shang, Yuan Shao
20 Yuan Tan
50 Wang Lang
55 Guo Si
91 He Jin
101 Guanqiu Jian
105 Han Xuan
109 Han Sui
120 Han Fu
129 Wei Feng
149 Jin Xuan
160 Yan Baihu
180,182 Gongsun Zan, Gongsun Du
184 Kong Zhou
190 Kong Rong
225 Sima Yi
263 Zhong Hui
288 Zhuge Dan
328 Cao Rui
343, 347, 349, 350 Cao Cao, Cao Pi, Cao Fang, Cao Mao
358 Sun He
362, 365, 367, 368, 370 Sun Xiu, Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Sun Qian, Sun Hao
383 Sun Liang
415 Zhang Xiu
431 Zhao Fan
442 Zhang Lu
465 Ding Yuan
484 Tao Qian
493 Dong Zhuo
515, 517, Ma Chao, Ma Teng
568 Meng Huo
598 Li Jue
614, 618 Liu Yan, Liu Yu
624 Liu Zhang
629, 631 Liu Chan,Liu Dai
632 Liu Du
635 Liu Bei
636 Liu Biao
660 Lu Bu

Neighbour Cities Only: If checked, when distributing cities to each force, the randomizer will only pick neighbour cities. This allows for more territorial forces, instead of completely random forces around the map. Here is an image of what I considered as direct "neighbour" cities.

Add alliances: If checked, the randomizer will create random alliances between forces to spice things up (even if they hate each other). It creates between 1 and "number of forces" alliances.

Randomize items: If checked, will distribute randomly each item either to a force leader or into a random city. This means your leader can sometimes start with a Blue Dragon, a Bronze Pheasant or even the Imperial Seal.

Research Setup: Allows each force to start the game with some techniques already randomly researched.
No Research - level 0
Low - level 0 to 2
Medium - level 2 to 3
High - level 3 to 4
Random - level 0 to 4

IA Setup: lets you choose the global behavior of each force. Only affects the "force code", not the district or leader behavior (might want to change that in the near future though).
Aggressive - each force should try to conquer China.
Moderate - each force wants to conquer a region or province.
Random - each force will have different motivations, from "conquer china" to "rubbish force".

Balance Setup: lets you choose how city distribution should be defined.
Similar sized forces - will try to create roughly similar forces when possible (number of free cities / number of forces)
Random sized forces - each force will get a random number of cities, creating big and small forces
One city forces - self-explanatory
Random Setup - the randomizer chooses one of the three above

On a more technical part: each occupied city has between 15 000 (500x30) and 45 000 (500x90) soldiers, 2000 (500x4) to 7000 (500x14) gold and 30 000 (1000x30) to 65 000 (1000x65) food. Spears, Pikes, Bows and Horses vary bewteen 0 (0x1000) and 5000 (5x1000).
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Bourne Endeavor » Thu May 21, 2015 6:11 am

I've been trying to give this a shot, but whenever I go to open a scenario file after following the instructions, it says "no file selected" and will not allow me to randomize anything. Is there any reason for this?
Bourne Endeavor
Apprentice

Unread postby Zetta » Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 am

Bourne Endeavor wrote:I've been trying to give this a shot, but whenever I go to open a scenario file after following the instructions, it says "no file selected" and will not allow me to randomize anything. Is there any reason for this?

It should work properly with english, japanese and chinese scenarios. I've just tried it on my PC, running under Windows Vista with Python 3.4.2.
Could you give me a bit more details about what happens, have you had any other error message ? Do you at least get an Open File Dialog when you click the "Open" button ? Could you please give me the specs of your PC or a few screenshots of what happens (either here of by PM) ?
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Bourne Endeavor » Thu May 21, 2015 7:45 am

Yep. I can get all the way to the scenario files, assuming I'm in the right spot, but they don't load. It should be C:\Program Files (x86)\KOEI Games\Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI\Media\scenario yes?

screen cap 1
screen cap 2

The second is what happens after I attempt to open any of the SCENxx. files.
Bourne Endeavor
Apprentice

Unread postby Zetta » Thu May 21, 2015 8:48 am

Thank you for this information, you were very quick to answer ! At least the program seems to launch correctly. I have downloaded Python 3.4.3 and RandOTK works fine on my side, so it doesn't seem to be linked with the Python version you are using. I think it might be linked with the file path Python is trying to get to open the scenario. I'll ask you to try 2 different things:

1) Try to put a scenario file directly in the root folder, like C:\SCEN016.S11. Open it with RandOTK11: does it work ?

2) If the above doesn't solve the problem, please download this small debug script, which is only a small part of the RandOTK11 program. Launch it with Python and it will ask you to open a scenario ".S11" file. Then please give me the results or error you get.

EDIT: the problem you encounter might be linked with the fact that the Scenario file you choose is inside "C:\Program Files (x86)\KOEI Games\..." since Windows protects any modification inside "Program Files". I tried to put a file in there and open it with RandOTK11 but got the same error as you did. You can either:
- try running RandOTK11 in administrator mode (an annoying solution if you are only trying to play a game)...
- or copy and paste a SCEN00X.S11 file anywhere else, open and randomize it, then copy and paste it back inside your folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\KOEI Games\Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI\Media\scenario" when you want to play it.
Last edited by Zetta on Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu May 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Trying out the latest version...first trial:

The officer randomizer is hilarious! The things that really stand out are that it produces quite a few "hero" types, might be worth reconsidering the ratios a bit if it is not complicated to do so. 20% becoming heroes seems a little high.

And maybe I was very unlucky but none of the strategy-based skills were assigned? It skipped from Stampede to Fame. Hands Divine X skills out like candy. No Puissance or Valiant General, or God's Command.

Second trial: I did get two officers with skills that were skipped over, Augment and Fortification. Is the ratio for strategy skills really low?

Still none of the three combat skills.

And something very peculiar. The officers in some of the cities belonged to a force not controlling the city?

Third trial: Same issue with skills. I am trying in 184 so perhaps I'm having really bad luck.

And the jumbled-up officers is simply being caused by my historical xx officers having fixed data when the scenario gets wiped. I'm not sure what can be done about that, lol. X Series stuff basically filled up all of those slots with new officers so unless there's an alternate version of the program, oh well. Haha.

Fourth trial: I changed the starting year to 200 and saw a few strategy skills. But yeah, it seems to strongly favor the military skills...

-----

Leader List: Curious why Yuan Yi is on it? Sun Qian should be removed from the choices. And maybe add Zhang Jiao, or at least one of his bros.

Item Randomizer: So far, so good.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bourne Endeavor » Thu May 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Aha! Once I moved the scenario to my desktop, it worked just fine. Thanks a lot Zetta for the help. :D
Bourne Endeavor
Apprentice

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Thu May 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Yuan Yi was a governor, so he seems reasonable as a random leader candidate I suppose.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods