ROTK11 Random Scenarios

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: ROTK11 Random Scenarios

Unread postby Calamitus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:17 pm

Hm, that's sad. Playing the original game without PUK features is not very interesting.
Decided to see how it works and after superficial examination i see only one problem - it quite often creates factions (one city size) with only one officer or without officers at all which makes those factions "dead" from the start.
Calamitus
Apprentice

Unread postby Zetta » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:32 pm

I just looked at my own code and made a few modifications. In the next update, the city distribution should work properly. If you choose anything except "One city forces", each force should have a chance of having more than one city. Then I changed a little bit officer distribution. Each force can get between 1 and the number of available officers in the scenario divided by 41 (number of cities). Still, some forces might be less lucky than others and get 1 officer per city. But even in Koei-made scenarios some forces start with no officer except the ruler. Maybe I should add an option to choose minimum and maximum quantity of officers each force starts with.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Won Ton » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:29 am

I cant even tell you how happy i am to have found recent posts! Iv been playing rotk xi for years and never tried to mod it but always wanted to. I actually mod Medieval 2, Shogun 2 and Dragon age Quite a bit but compared to that this game has been a chore to figure out! Anyway i don't know the first thing about hex honestly, Iv been using the Editor gift thingy for about a week straight and its decent but broken, iv learned how to exploit it though for example, to create a new scenario i just replace factions and colors and move around officers because for some reason the tool wont let you add a new faction correctly.

Anyway if you have some advice for me or files that will help please let me know!! I can't find anything that isn't super old!
My goal is to create a better version of the yellow turban rebellion and i for the most part got it then hit a serious roadblock that discouraged me.. I got the factions territories setup, changed the starting soldiers, money, food, order etc on everything including port/gates

The problem is that i used roh and so many of the officers were affiliated with other factions that i now have to go through all of them 500 or so and erase deeds, make them searchable etc because i dont want anyone starting out with more then a handful of officers.

I wanted to base this on the time period of the yellow turban but i couldn't because with the editor i can only replace factions and there weren't enough for what i had in mind.

I have heard of a scenario based on the yellow turban that had everything erased and all officers made searchable and deeds down to 0 etc but the koei website is down nd iv looked everywhere for it. Is there any advice you can give me? or do i just need to suck it up and start going through officers?

Another thing i did that i thought was cool, Originally i was trying to make all neutral cities "Rebel" replacing the bandit faction with rebels. Primarily to stop anyone from just collecting vacant territory without a fight, similar to how you have to fight for it like in rotk 10. In the end though i was having problems with the order dropping and additional "rebels" or barbarians depending on the area, spawning and fighting eachother.

In the end i just added soldiers and equipment to all of the empty cities so that when they get captured the faction gets a huge boost instead of an empty city and i made the amounts different depending on the city and area making some very high value. Worked out good because the allied factions fighting the yellow turbans have one city each and are on the borders heavily outnumbered so as they are pushed back they can survive by taking the vacant cities. I was trying to screenshot it but i cant for some reason.

Anyway any insight or even help would be appreciated!
Won Ton
Tyro

Unread postby Zetta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:27 pm

UPDATE :
Some people have been asking for it, so here it (finally) is! Chinese and Japanese Scenarios should be now supported. I have updated the program, but I have not been able to play foreign scenarios, as I don't have ROTK11 in either language. I hope you will not encounter any bugs but if you do please report them to me. If anyone is interested, you can download RandOTK11 v1.04 here : https://www.sendspace.com/file/gsklsi

Won Ton wrote:I have heard of a scenario based on the yellow turban that had everything erased and all officers made searchable and deeds down to 0 etc but the koei website is down nd iv looked everywhere for it.

You mean the "Blank Scenario", right ? I've uploaded it back here if you need it. The scenario editor that was released a while ago isn't perfect but is a bit easier and quicker than just hex-editing a file, although creating a new scenario is always a tedious task.

Won Ton wrote:Another thing i did that i thought was cool, Originally i was trying to make all neutral cities "Rebel" replacing the bandit faction with rebels. Primarily to stop anyone from just collecting vacant territory without a fight, similar to how you have to fight for it like in rotk 10. In the end though i was having problems with the order dropping and additional "rebels" or barbarians depending on the area, spawning and fighting eachother.

In the end i just added soldiers and equipment to all of the empty cities so that when they get captured the faction gets a huge boost instead of an empty city and i made the amounts different depending on the city and area making some very high value. Worked out good because the allied factions fighting the yellow turbans have one city each and are on the borders heavily outnumbered so as they are pushed back they can survive by taking the vacant cities. I was trying to screenshot it but i cant for some reason.

That's a nice idea. I'm sure it significantly changes the pace and/or the issue of the game. It's weird that you can't screenshoot it though... Never had an issue with that. I always use Prnt Scrn and copy/paste the image into Paint.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Won Ton » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:46 pm

After play testing it actually makes the game more random. The smaller factions or anyone falling behind can quickly flip their luck around with a couple city capture. Considering I made the yellow turbans start out significantly stronger it help's faction's like cao cao able to survive by falling back to a vacant city. I'm going to try and get some screenshots during my next test play

OH and you sir are a hero for the blank scenario!!! I looked everywhere for it for days!! I had to modify an existing map and that involved alot more officers being changed then i realized it took FOREVER!
Won Ton
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu May 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Zetta,

I finally got around to getting the randomizer installed and it's looking pretty good so far. I do have a few points to raise after messing around a bit.

1) It might be worthwhile to consider adding a simple option to select how many free cities will be available. Choosing a lower number of forces does help with that, but if players want to use a created force, having the option could help.

2) The editor seems to not work for any year before 185? Not a big deal but it made me curious.

3) Is it possible to randomize items?

4) Officer randomization is hilarious! But I feel like it could be a little more sensible? Xiahou Dun for instance was probably the best pound-for-pound warrior produced, but he got Taxation. Ma Teng got Puissance but has 20 War. And Huangfu Song got Divine Bows but has C aptitude in it. lol

Just a few suggestions, this is a really neat tool!
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zetta » Thu May 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Thank you for your feedback Zyzyfer, I appreciate it and I hope you'll enjoy your random scenarios! Now about the different points you raised:

1) I'll try to add this feature in the next update, it's a good idea.

2) I tried it and it didn't work, like you said. EDIT: it doesn't work because every officer has an "available" date at year 184 or later. Might be able to change it for the v1.05.

3) It's possible yes, we can change and randomize anything. I might add it as a feature as well, either by distributing randomly items among generals and/or distributing them randomly around the cities... I might also make use of some of the free slots and add a few more items.

4) Yes it's completely random for now and can create terrible, exceptional or weird officers. I'll see what I can do about it to make it a bit more consistent.

I've also thought about adding an optional feature to create new random officers for each "dead" slot. Could liven up the empty map we get in the late periods (~230 and beyond). But that would be a bit problematic with the kin and liked/disliked relationships, since a replacement officer could become the son or wife of a normal one, or be liked/disliked by others... It's a bit more complex to implement.
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 am

Zetta wrote:4) Yes it's completely random for now and can create terrible, exceptional or weird officers. I'll see what I can do about it to make it a bit more consistent.

If it's a pain, don't worry about it. It definitely makes for a very random game. :lol:

I've also thought about adding an optional feature to create new random officers for each "dead" slot. Could liven up the empty map we get in the late periods (~230 and beyond). But that would be a bit problematic with the kin and liked/disliked relationships, since a replacement officer could become the son or wife of a normal one, or be liked/disliked by others... It's a bit more complex to implement.

Right, and then you have issues like Sun Jian or Cao Cao representing their entire clan, and therefore not really being able to be replaced. And since the relevant relationships data is stored in the bytes for the other officers, rather than the one that gets replaced, I am not sure how easy it would be to write some code to resolve that.

One related side note, I worked out that the officer randomizer stops with the normal officer range while I was messing around with the program, as my added officers in those NPC slots don't get randomized. It's not really here nor there.

What exactly can get changed by the officer randomizer?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zetta » Mon May 18, 2015 6:57 pm

I've just updated the randomizer to v1.05. Added an option to select the minimum number of free cities available, an item randomizer (spreads items randomly around the map and among force leaders), and balanced a little bit more the officer randomizer that will now create 5 types of officers: random, standard, generals, heroes and strategists (a bit like the officer editor in-game). Skill distribution should be a bit more balanced. If you check the Random Lifespans box, you should be able to play a scenario with the few officers born way before year 184.

Zyzyfer wrote:One related side note, I worked out that the officer randomizer stops with the normal officer range while I was messing around with the program, as my added officers in those NPC slots don't get randomized. It's not really here nor there.

What exactly can get changed by the officer randomizer?

It stops right before the "Historical XX" slots. The officer randomizer, when checked, changes only stats, weapons APT and skills for all the first 670 officers. Actually, maybe I should write a little something about how each option of the randomizer works and what it affects...
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Calamitus » Wed May 20, 2015 8:09 am

Zetta wrote:UPDATE :
Some people have been asking for it, so here it (finally) is! Chinese and Japanese Scenarios should be now supported.

Which means it works on PUK now?
Calamitus
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods