DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 am

The place you fight Zhang Fei. That chest was useless. As were the ones in Guan Yu's mountain citadel. Scales.... and Two-hand...everyone already has these if not better ones.

Beef up Li Dian. I don't know why everyone relegates him to a noob. I think he was actually one of Cao Cao's highest ranked generals outside of ones like Zhang Liao. Perhaps give him more of a support role with tactics such as Fury, Douse, and Haste that make him more of a buffer/support role vs Damage dealer. Maybe a Xun Yu replacement? Make him more useful than a glorified pack mule. On this note, any way to make Cao Cao learn tons of intersting tactics before you lose him? Maybe actually keep Cao Cao up until you go towards Jing Zhou and let the player dump Xun Yu or Cao Ren?

Also, I retreated from a battle and got an Elixer C./money/disguie. This a bug?

Zang Ba's INT is way too high. Zhang Liao should have higher INT and LDR should be equal to that of Cao Ren considering he lead the generals of Wei? Wasn't he also talented at archery? Any way I can dump Cao Ren?

Maybe allow all officers to use swords.... its bogus to get a bunch of new generals without even being able to use a basic weapon other than a specialty. I understand you may wish for players to delay using Yue Jin or Zhang Liao... but hey, its an RPG.

Reduced item drop rate has helped. Its much better and I don't get flooded with as many items and makes rare drops that much better.

Terrain work is great. Feel like putting in more water lakes? :D
... yes I know they are difficult to get all of the shores correct, but they would add to your already extensive map work.

Town redesigns are great. I would agree with James, put the Inn's and billeting near the front. Also, make entrances for INN's different from the rest. If you notice in the original DOAE, Inn's and Merchants had the red trim while billeting had the longer buildings, making them more distinguishable.

Guan Yu doesn't have duel? Thats like all he did in ROTK.... and I can't even duel Yan Liang, boo!

Doubling down on increasing those bar sizes. Think about changing colors at certain levels... 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000, 30000 for example. Let the bars grow longer. Felt like they just began to grow and they got chopped down again and the party is not even level 20 yet...

Ultimately now I'm stuck. No clue where the Yuan Key is going. Can't beat the boat at Jingzhou. No idea who gives a clue to Chi Tu Ma either.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:57 am

Will comment on the rest tomorrow but - as far as next steps - revisit Guandu and Yecheng and consider the villagers' text. And then explore thoroughly the place they indicate might be of interest...

Ok girlfriend got distracted so I have a chance to reply to the rest now hehe

sonic.penguin wrote:The place you fight Zhang Fei. That chest was useless. As were the ones in Guan Yu's mountain citadel. Scales.... and Two-hand...everyone already has these if not better ones.

Did you buy the scale armors? or get them from drops? I am not expecting by this point that the player should've had enough gold to purchase these for everyone. Hopefully you just got lucky with drops?

sonic.penguin wrote:Beef up Li Dian. I don't know why everyone relegates him to a noob. I think he was actually one of Cao Cao's highest ranked generals outside of ones like Zhang Liao. Perhaps give him more of a support role with tactics such as Fury, Douse, and Haste that make him more of a buffer/support role vs Damage dealer. Maybe a Xun Yu replacement? Make him more useful than a glorified pack mule. On this note, any way to make Cao Cao learn tons of intersting tactics before you lose him? Maybe actually keep Cao Cao up until you go towards Jing Zhou and let the player dump Xun Yu or Cao Ren?

Yeah Idk why I'm just not a big Li Dian fan lol. I already increased his STR from around 185 to make him somewhat more noteworthy. But he is basically just filler until you get Guo Jia.

I do have one profile slot left...so I could give him some more support tactics to make him more interesting in the early game.

With regards to the others - give it a full play through - and then we can discuss :D

sonic.penguin wrote:Also, I retreated from a battle and got an Elixer C./money/disguie. This a bug?

Seems to a bug with Spoils of War yes - can get an item from both winning a battle or running from it. Because of that its extra important that I don't accidentally expose a later chapter earlier in the game. E.g. if the player can access random Ch. 5 battles during chapter 1, they can just flee from battles and eventually get rare gear from that chapter. Would be pretty game breaking. I think I've resolved most of those instances now but might be a few remaining. Ideally could get the Spoils of War feature updated to only give drops after victories.

sonic.penguin wrote:Zang Ba's INT is way too high. Zhang Liao should have higher INT and LDR should be equal to that of Cao Ren considering he lead the generals of Wei? Wasn't he also talented at archery? Any way I can dump Cao Ren?

Zang Ba is a marvel of the age. Do not despise him!

At times I expect Cao Ren will be the pack mule. But he has great LEADER, eventually gets Burst type ability (lower rank than Xu Huang), and later in the game the fact he has a heal will also be relevant. As mentioned before, he isn't meant to be the best, but he should be a reliable jack-of-all-trades kind of guy.

sonic.penguin wrote:Maybe allow all officers to use swords.... its bogus to get a bunch of new generals without even being able to use a basic weapon other than a specialty. I understand you may wish for players to delay using Yue Jin or Zhang Liao... but hey, its an RPG.

In earlier versions I did have this...but the problem was, I want to really encourage switching guys in and out. There is a few criteria of who is best to use when... 1) army size 2) stats 3) weapon dmg 4) tactics. in the early chapters weapon dmg isn't a big factor. Starting in Jingzhou I would say it becomes more apparent (especially when Bei Ji becomes available - paired with a Charge/War Drum - attacks can be devastating). So I didnt want all generals to ALWAYS be usable. I wanted the availability of their chosen weapons to also govern when they are useful. I dont want to player to always be able to use Xu Huang because he has a sweet physical attack vs. all enemies. At times I want him to be outdated because his weapon sucks.

Yes at times it is annoying - especially when you get Yue Jin and if you didnt find the hidden bow in Shouchun you can't use him til Yanzhou/Xuzhou. But its a trade-off... Everyone gets their moment of glory eventually...

sonic.penguin wrote:Terrain work is great. Feel like putting in more water lakes? :D
... yes I know they are difficult to get all of the shores correct, but they would add to your already extensive map work.

Town redesigns are great. I would agree with James, put the Inn's and billeting near the front. Also, make entrances for INN's different from the rest. If you notice in the original DOAE, Inn's and Merchants had the red trim while billeting had the longer buildings, making them more distinguishable.

Glad you appreciate! Yeah the map work was intense. Especially the shores. I've really tried to perfect those little details. DOAEditor makes it so easy. I started this over two years ago and definitely got more adept with the map editing as time passed. So I think it is possible to see the areas that I created in 2016 vs 2018 hehe.

I can definitely put in some more consistency in the buildings in a later version. Really I was just going crazy making all the towns completely different. but I can see the appeal in having buildings always look the same, Inns near the entrance etc. At least sometimes :D

sonic.penguin wrote:Guan Yu doesn't have duel? Thats like all he did in ROTK.... and I can't even duel Yan Liang, boo!

Hmm. Good point. I did take it off certain generals because they had a tendency to use it and then get their ass kicked. Which was somewhat anti-climactic. But agreed - its kind of definitive for Guan Yu. I think I will add it back for him.

sonic.penguin wrote:Doubling down on increasing those bar sizes. Think about changing colors at certain levels... 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000, 30000 for example. Let the bars grow longer. Felt like they just began to grow and they got chopped down again and the party is not even level 20 yet...

Yeah I def gotta look at this. I didnt do anything with that yet, so it is basically OOTB behavior.
Boneduke
Student

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:49 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:Something I thought about as well with Duel that yes, it can be abused, so perhaps if a low INT officer duels a high INT officer, it might have the OPPOSITE affect-- such as the low INT officer like Xu Chu gets confused or skipped turns by trying to duel Zhuge Liang? This would make it more dynamic and less abusable. MiDKnighT I know you're stalking so chime in.

The way duel works now is that smarter officers are more intelligent about whether to accept a duel or not. Low INT officers will just duel regardless but higher INT officers will only duel if they think they can win. And really high INT officers might send someone else to duel for them. Ie... Zhuge Liang sends Zhang Fei to duel in his place.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Did you buy the scale armors? or get them from drops? I am not expecting by this point that the player should've had enough gold to purchase these for everyone. Hopefully you just got lucky with drops?

Bought them. They were only like 300 each so yeah, everyone had them.

Here is information regarding changes to status bars. If you want an easy out, just copy paste from any of the mods I worked on and it has preset bars (with vibrant colors) and good setups for soldier counts that have been time tested. Definitiely better than the originals.

The way duel works now is that smarter officers are more intelligent about whether to accept a duel or not. Low INT officers will just duel regardless but higher INT officers will only duel if they think they can win. And really high INT officers might send someone else to duel for them. Ie... Zhuge Liang sends Zhang Fei to duel in his place.

I do understand what Boneduke means regarding dueling just to immobilize them... although that is kind of the point. I've done it at times, but also I remember Zhuge Liang embarrasing people quite literally to death in the novel, so maybe trying to duel a high int officer results in a challenging, low INT officer to become confused/doubted as a way to make players think twice before just dueling everyone? Maybe even a rare insta-defeat from troops that turn on the person who is requesting a duel? That'd be a surprise! Just tossin' ideas around like powder :huohu:

In regards of where to go next, I've read it multiple times to know I'm looking for Zhang He's vengeance troupe and a military tally most likely at the Yuan residence (the little house) but not sure where I use the key as there is no marker like the gemsword had. Not many clues to go by here and it feels a little like treasure of the rudras walking all over the planet for hours on end looking where to go since I apparently missed it in a dialogue.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Okay, so I searched a seat... which said it was an urn... I guess you've gotta be creative with limited GFX, but wish some clues were a little better like someone saying "Yuan Shao would often hide his treasured items under seats" or something like that.

On another previous note, war drums are useless mainly because:
A. almost everyone has charge
B. Charge is so cheap TP wise, why bother to use a menu item except to get rid of all the war drums you gather.
C. All the unused war drums jam up my inventory!

As mentioned earlier I would reduce who can use Charge to just a few limited officers (Xu Chu, Zhang Liao) hence making War Drums more valuable or if you don't reduce who can use it, I would definately triple the TP cost to make it less spammable.

Wei saw a gradual weakening of STR based officers to that of INT officers towards the formation of Jin. Hopefully start seeing less guys with 200+ ATK in place of guys with Higher LDR and INT

Lady Cai portrait :wink:

If you die @ Cai Mao fight, when you exit the castle you appear in the middle of the grass not the gate.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:On another previous note, war drums are useless mainly because:
A. almost everyone has charge
B. Charge is so cheap TP wise, why bother to use a menu item except to get rid of all the war drums you gather.
C. All the unused war drums jam up my inventory!

As mentioned earlier I would reduce who can use Charge to just a few limited officers (Xu Chu, Zhang Liao) hence making War Drums more valuable or if you don't reduce who can use it, I would definately triple the TP cost to make it less spammable.

Yeah I will make some adjustments to who can use this one. I found War Drums quite useful by Zhang He (especially paired with Rally), exactly because he doesn't get Charge.

Some people commented that Zhang Liao felt underutilized. This might be a good way to make him shine.

sonic.penguin wrote:If you die @ Cai Mao fight, when you exit the castle you appear in the middle of the grass not the gate.

Hmm I tried to replicate this but couldn't. In my save state, Cao Cao is at Yecheng. I fought and died against Cai Mao, and appeared in Yecheng after dying, and when I left the castle I was outside Yecheng as expected. What was different in your scenario?

sonic.penguin wrote:Lady Cai portrait

Did you make this one? If so, thanks! :D
Boneduke
Student

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:45 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:In regards of where to go next, I've read it multiple times to know I'm looking for Zhang He's vengeance troupe and a military tally most likely at the Yuan residence (the little house) but not sure where I use the key as there is no marker like the gemsword had. Not many clues to go by here and it feels a little like treasure of the rudras walking all over the planet for hours on end looking where to go since I apparently missed it in a dialogue.

In the future I'd like to explore the possibility to edit graphics. There seems to be a lot of garbled/unused tiles in each of the sets. But given how stringent the developers seemed to have been with reusing things, I imagine thats for a reason that there isn't just a ton of unused assets in the ROM that can be modified. That said - it would be cool to be able to come up with something unique looking like the floor marker for the original gemsword. I didnt want to use that because it would be too easy to recognize. But even just to be able to make the chair a different color or something would be cool.

There is a variety of hints given with regards to the military Tally... way back in Runan, someone comments "I heard something is hidden at the Yuan estate" and then as mentioned later in Guandu and Yecheng you hear various references to the military tally and how the Yuan estate is south of Guandu.

As you know, its hard to find that perfect balance where things are challenging but not frustrating - and not to mention to do that for a diverse player base (what is obvious to one person might be confounding to the next). I really want some of the more "puzzley" aspects of the game to be somewhat or even genuinely difficult to figure out. But its really hard to find a good balance with that kind of thing. Is it too hard, is it too easy - really depends on the player.
Boneduke
Student

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 pm

Cao Cao was at Shou Chun.

Also, any way to get a warp CLOSER to Wan. Walking so far gets so tiresome...
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:00 am

sonic.penguin wrote:Cao Cao was at Shou Chun.

Also, any way to get a warp CLOSER to Wan. Walking so far gets so tiresome...

Hmm - Idk. Just tried again - invited Cao Cao to Shouchun then went to Nanyang and started that battle - and I appeared back in Shouchun and left the castle/city normally. Sounds like it wasn't anything game breaking though right, just cosmetic issue?

Xuchang isn't that far from Wan! You just have to walk through the cave :P
Boneduke
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods