DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 am

Ok back to agility based multi attacks lol - this one is killing me from a play testing and balancing perspective. I feel like something in my ROM is maybe messed up about it.

In almost every circumstance with the default configuration, every officer is hitting twice. Doesn't matter if the attackers has ridiculously low AGI like 50 vs 180 - they still to pretty much always just hit twice.

I spent some time experimenting with this one:

2. After that, Agility is modified by a random percentage from a table @ 0x2f2f0. This is achieved by multiplying by a chosen value, then dividing by 256.

1926 3340 4c59 6673 8099 a6b3 c0cc e6ff

These values correspond to these percentages:
10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%, 40%, 45%, 50%, 60%, 65%, 70%, 75%, 80%, 90%, 100-%

3. Then, that modified value is compared with the defender's agility.

But it didnt behave as I expected. If I understand it correctly, the percentages should be increasing your chances of getting an extra attack (e.g. if the random percentage selected is 100%, you will have a greater chance of landing a subsequent attack than if it was 10%).

(By the way I am updating the newer 55xx location in all cases as it instructs not the 2f2xx in the quote)

I changed the entire table to 01 01 01 01 etc - and was surprised to see that every went berserk - hitting 6, 7 even 8 times in a row.

So then I thought ok great - FF across the board should give me the opposite. But still always two attacks. Sometimes more.

Then I thought about this one...

5. To edit the cumulative Agility penalty on successive hits, edit this:
Change 0x2f258 to whatever you want.

0x2f257 – 0B:B247:

A0 3C– LDY $#3c

(Default penalty is 60)

Seems like increasing the penalty to 255 or even 180 would pretty much eliminate all extra attacks. But seems to have no effect. Also reduced it to 01 to see if there was an observable difference - none.

I'm on to chapter 5/6 now so enemies are getting more powerful, AP is going up etc and most of the battles are just ridiculously hard - 3 guys are getting wiped out per round.

The kind of configuration I'd like to achieve with this feature is something like

80% chance of single hit
15% chance to two hit
5% chance of three hit

Anyways - not sure if its something you can assist with - partially I am just posting this to vent cause I've been down with the flu for the past week and trying to poke away at this with I can get up the energy - in a highly irritable state hehe

Edit: here's another example, Bandit Force with an AGI of 4 will currently hit my 200 AGI generals two times, consistently :)
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 am

Hold up lol solved my own problem for once :)

I noticed in my DOAEditor that the item "Coins 00" had the "extra attack" checkbox selected.

Realized that is probably because I zeroed out those six extries manually in the hex. By the way that was because in current DOAEditor it only lets you mark items as having an additional attack but not remove it. So to take that bonus off an item have to do in the hex.

Guess the game thinks every generals has Coins 00 on them!

Anyways after making that change, everyone in an entire round of equally matched generals hit each other once. I'll play around with the other settings and try to find a good balance :)
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby Boneduke » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 pm

MiDKnighT wrote:Don't worry about that, I think I fixed it. Here's a more comprehensive fix for the mend all / item in battle fix. This is testing more to see if it's an item or a tactic if the id is > 30 (either an item or expanded tactic). Try this:

0x38D2F: A91E2082C4EA

0x78D20:
000000000000000000000000000000A9
0E2082C44C2B8D002082C4A54DC930B0
05A90E4C288DA678BD0062C90090034C
1F8D4CA90E4C288D0000000000000000

Hey man - not sure this one worked. Just noticed as I'm play testing that one of my generals was completely wiped out of his inventory over the course of a couple battles. Will carry on with testing and I think I'll have a couple of other bugs to look at, let me know when/if you have a chance to investigate!
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Ouch, that's not good. If you have a save state right before it happens I can dig in and troubleshoot.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 am

Ah, good times. Glad to see you guys are keeping the flame burning in DOAE hacking. I recently experienced a birth of a daughter last year so it has put my DOAE hacking days to rest for the forseeable future. I did get your PM MiDKnighT, just never got to respond. If I recall there were some major technical barriers put inplace by me using James' original mod as a base mod that really messed with the Hero of Chaos Mod down the road. That was sad. Maybe one day someone can pick up that mantle where I left off.

Here is a link to the current, incomplete Hero of Chaos Mod. Many things are messed up, namely that characters are not removed properly with the event codes and also that events don't work like they are supposed to by allowing the player to access to other areas. These bugs are reasonably the biggest reason that I stoped work on this. Again, this is not playable really unless you have the NYONALAO code to get past the barrier in Wu, but even at that, the mod is unfinished after I believe Chapter 5. Either way, if anyone wants to use it as a resource, that is fine with me.

https://app.box.com/s/xlue5wqywlo2kiu7e7aodcbavchxl4qa
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:38 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:Ah, good times. Glad to see you guys are keeping the flame burning in DOAE hacking. I recently experienced a birth of a daughter last year so it has put my DOAE hacking days to rest for the forseeable future. I did get your PM MiDKnighT, just never got to respond. If I recall there were some major technical barriers put inplace by me using James' original mod as a base mod that really messed with the Hero of Chaos Mod down the road. That was sad. Maybe one day someone can pick up that mantle where I left off.

Here is a link to the current, incomplete Hero of Chaos Mod. Many things are messed up, namely that characters are not removed properly with the event codes and also that events don't work like they are supposed to by allowing the player to access to other areas. These bugs are reasonably the biggest reason that I stoped work on this. Again, this is not playable really unless you have the NYONALAO code to get past the barrier in Wu, but even at that, the mod is unfinished after I believe Chapter 5. Either way, if anyone wants to use it as a resource, that is fine with me.

https://app.box.com/s/xlue5wqywlo2kiu7e7aodcbavchxl4qa

Hehe I'm torn - I never played your Hero of Chaos mod before, just read a little about it on forums and didnt want to inadvertantly steal any storyline or gameplay ideas (e.g. I think I read that you used the guarenteed duel outcome feature to have Guan Yu overcome Yan Liang and Wen Chou).

But if your'e offering up it...maybe I'll take a look hehe. Might finish and release a version of my ROM first and then see what ideas for a 2.0 I might borrow if you don't mind :) I've been working on my mod for over a year now - can imagine how discouraging it would be if it got bugged up to the point of being unplayable.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Hey Midknight,

Will send you a PM today with a couple savestates - have a few more bugs hoping we can iron out. One is a return to bug I had with my Mend tactic. I think Mend is still ok but the higher level tactics have the same issue (so I think, we fixed the behavior with using tactic ID 3D, but the issue remains for tactics 3E through 44)

I'm also have a problem with two of the Forced Officer Leave events. 10 of them are working fine, but the remaining 2, neither of them seem to work. I'll describe in PM some more details.

Third item - hoping this isn't too difficult, and I'll go over the DOAE source code in the meantime to see if that sheds any light. On the Places tab in DOAE it is possible to change the Weapon shop ID for each location. It seems that if you remove an ID from a Place and it is not present on another Place, it disappears from the list next time DOAE loads. Thats whats seemed to have happened anyway because now in my ROM I am missing Weapon shops 20 and 22 in the Place editor. I can find the hex in the ROM for what controls the items those shop IDs sell - but I can't find where the Place code defines the shop ID. Since DOAE can edit it, that info must have been uncovered at some point.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby Boneduke » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 pm

Few more screenshots...

A mountain pass leads from Xuchang to Wancheng.

Ok Ma Su...if you say so.

Cave

Deep into Wu territory

Cao Zhen isnt too happy about his predicament.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby wk123 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:31 am

Boneduke wrote:Few more screenshots...

A mountain pass leads from Xuchang to Wancheng.

Ok Ma Su...if you say so.

Cave

Deep into Wu territory

Cao Zhen isnt too happy about his predicament.
Very tough Wu team!

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
wk123
Apprentice

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Sorry for the delay. I have to be in the right mindset to enter the he11 known as 6502 assembly code and I haven't been there in a while...

That said, I found a couple of problems with my original fix. I tested and it seems both Recover and Elixer A (item > 30) are both working:

New Mend All Fix:

0x38D2F: A91E2082C4EA

0x78D20:
000000000000000000000000000000A9
0E2082C44C2B8D002082C4A54DC930B0
05A90E4C288DA678BD0062C900D0034C
1F8DEAA90E4C288D0000000000000000

Looking at the officer leave event next.
MiDKnighT
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods