DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks for taking a look into that intro letter guy. At the moment it is not a showstopper issue, haven't actually decided how/if I will use him in my ROM. Since there is some uniqueness to the encounter I'd like to take advantage of it but, won't be the end of the world if its not possible to get working properly.

I have done some switching around of the various event items (intro letter, Zhao Yun letter, Silver key etc) - how they are obtained, when they are used etc - perhaps its possible I've messed something up while doing that.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Oh just saw your edit - hmm I will play around with adjusting the layout of the room, where the person who blocks the door appears etc. I believe that is the same room though, I just edited the layout.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Boneduke wrote:Oh just saw your edit - hmm I will play around with adjusting the layout of the room, where the person who blocks the door appears etc. I believe that is the same room though, I just edited the layout.

To be more specific, if you open the FCEUX hex editor and look at "NES memory", $05D3 and $05D4 should be "19 19" prior to talking to the lady, *not* "59 59 or "59 D9". Basically if it's 59 or D9 it's broken and she thinks you have the letter. Taking steps in that room flips it from 19 to 59 or D9.

This is a very strange one and tough one to debug. I'm thinking it has something to do with the position in the original room. Ie...right at the bottom of the room where it's safe. Maybe add some tiles and drop the entry position down to the bottom with the lady blocking and give that a shot.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Interestingly I happened to notice last night that there seems to be two text entries for the purpose of getting this NPC to move. In text bank 1 theres

4C - He is very busy. He can't meet anyone.[END]
4D - Oh you have a letter of introduction?[>]Come right in. [EVENT-1827]
4E - Come in please.[EVENT-1827]

Where this 4E seems to suggest it is possible to get into the room without having the letter. I don't recall ever doing that in the original DOAE.

I tried moving the entry warp for that room back to its original location 0701071E, as well as further down all the way to 0E01071E, but that memory location always shows 59 59 right away. (Which is to say, it never shows 19 19 - always 59 59 before I even take a step).

Oh well - its not a huge deal - I can find some other use for the place. But the gatekeeping nature of it, was going to use it to hide an end game secret that you needed to complete a previous task to unlock. Anyways - certainly doesnt ruin my ROM not to have it. Just wish I'd paid closer attention to be able to better pinpoint the original cause. I went back as far as I could in my saved ROMs but couldn't find a version where the bug wasn't already there.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Boneduke wrote:Interestingly I happened to notice last night that there seems to be two text entries for the purpose of getting this NPC to move. In text bank 1 theres

4C - He is very busy. He can't meet anyone.[END]
4D - Oh you have a letter of introduction?[>]Come right in. [EVENT-1827]
4E - Come in please.[EVENT-1827]

Where this 4E seems to suggest it is possible to get into the room without having the letter. I don't recall ever doing that in the original DOAE.

I tried moving the entry warp for that room back to its original location 0701071E, as well as further down all the way to 0E01071E, but that memory location always shows 59 59 right away. (Which is to say, it never shows 19 19 - always 59 59 before I even take a step).

Oh well - its not a huge deal - I can find some other use for the place. But the gatekeeping nature of it, was going to use it to hide an end game secret that you needed to complete a previous task to unlock. Anyways - certainly doesnt ruin my ROM not to have it. Just wish I'd paid closer attention to be able to better pinpoint the original cause. I went back as far as I could in my saved ROMs but couldn't find a version where the bug wasn't already there.

The save state you gave me already has "59 59". On a new game it probably wouldn't. Or you could try manually changing it to "19 19" and test.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Yep I deleted the internal save on my ROM, created a new game, and put that room right inside my starting city and when I enter the room it is still immediately 59 59. Really strange! And yep manually adjusting those values to 19 19 did fix the problem. Although I noticed after the first time talking, they change to 19 99 - still prevents entry though.
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Boneduke wrote:Yep I deleted the internal save on my ROM, created a new game, and put that room right inside my starting city and when I enter the room it is still immediately 59 59. Really strange! And yep manually adjusting those values to 19 19 did fix the problem. Although I noticed after the first time talking, they change to 19 99 - still prevents entry though.

Yes when I tested on the original ROM it flipped to "19 99" after talking to her. It's the 59 and D9 that's bad.

Can you send me that test ROM where you moved the room to the new game location? With that I can see where the 59 is first introduced.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Ok sent!
Boneduke
Initiate

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Crazy Bug! I think I've got the fix. The key is the way the villager is standing (the lady) in the Y2 position.

Fix is: 0x31242: "81" --> "41"

The value of 81 broke the event. From the RH Guide:

Starting Y2 Position: Event associated with the villager. Usually it means you talk to them once and their text switches to something else. This is true with the merchant in the first village who gives you gold and rations. If he didn't have this event he'd keep giving you money forever. So when it pulls the Y2 value it does this to the value:

Code: Select all
AND #C0

Not sure how the value got switched to 81. Hopefully DoaEditor didn't do that.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Boneduke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Oh very interesting - I dont think I would have made that change manually tbh - perhaps DoaEditor did inadvertantly do that

In general I have been making some manual hex edits to townspeople configuration e.g. for this one

16 81 97 1E 4C 4D E4

I've often changed the 16 to 06, 26, 36 etc to control which text bank is being used
And 97 to other values to control if the townsperson is moving, standing still, lying down, etc

(for some reason, I noticed for some townspeople trying to make these changes in the editor doesnt work - they seem to save but then dont get committed to the ROM - so I was doing them by hand)

But I dont think I ever changed the first digit of the second coordinate - and even if I did, this particular room/townsperson I hadnt gotten around to do anything with yet - they were default configuration still far as I know

So! will keep an eye on that - but I would say it is certainly possible it was updated inadvertantly.

Anyways - as usual, many thanks!
Boneduke
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods