DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:53 pm

With all the bug fixins, DoaEditor and IPS 1.3 are a heck of a lot more stable, for that reason I'm broadcasting the new DoaEditor everywhere I can. Hopefully we get some more modders.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Well, people keep sending message to my facebook page about mods and things like that, granted, I never get on to respond, but there are a number of people who are working with mods but the broken DOAEditor version kept them from going very far. It's one thing to start a mod, but to actually complete one from beginning to end is truly a labor of love and hard work!
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:Well, people keep sending message to my facebook page about mods and things like that, granted, I never get on to respond, but there are a number of people who are working with mods but the broken DOAEditor version kept them from going very far. It's one thing to start a mod, but to actually complete one from beginning to end is truly a labor of love and hard work!

Absolutely. I don't have the patience to make a mod as complete as yours have been. Especially the map editing and the detailed portrait editing. That would drive me nutso.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Something I've been thinking about. What about removing helmets and replacing them with Relics? Like something to increase AP or DP, Speed, or Leadership? Kind of like ChiTuMa increases agility? Maybe you wouldn't need to replace helmets at all, but that would limit a player from stacking too many of them.

There are two routes that could be taken on this.
Route A: Static increase to stats like weapons and armor (Max @ 255)
Option B: Percentage increase like ChiTuMa (Max @ 255)

I think option A would be good if you wanted to have items you would purchase and supplied your whole party with. Option B would be good for 1 of each type, like unique items, otherwise it would be overpowered being percentages and everything.

For some reference, kind of like ROTK items:
http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/363406-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-xi-windows-screenshot-items.jpg
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Yes it's possible and I've thought of that before. That said, I'm almost afraid to mess with anything since everything seems pretty stable right now. Let's summarize the ideas we have for enhancements lately:

- Spy Tactic (Scout that can last several turns like Ji Mian/Ce Mian)
- Attribute boosts for items like ChiTuMa (the last one proposed)
- Expanded officers
- Assign any music to any battle

Expanded officers would be the hardest to do but from what you've said it would have the most benefit. I was thinking of starting that one this week. Do you agree or do you think one of the others is more important? I still think we can't actually add new officers but we can make existing officers available in multiple chapters with different AP, AC, soldier count, and highest tactic learned. This would make it so that we no longer needed duplicate officers. Ie... no need for 3 Guan Yu's which would free up space for other officers. If you agree that expanding officers is the most important we can discuss some of the details about how to handle different chapters more.

On an unrelated note I'm still watching the Three Kingdoms series (2010) on youtube. I'm up to episode 56. You should start watching it! It will definitely give you some ideas for your mod. Here's the full episode list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHnX4x ... 995E9A7F00
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Expanded officers would be the hardest to do but from what you've said it would have the most benefit. I was thinking of starting that one this week. Do you agree or do you think one of the others is more important? I still think we can't actually add new officers but we can make existing officers available in multiple chapters with different AP, AC, soldier count, and highest tactic learned. This would make it so that we no longer needed duplicate officers. Ie... no need for 3 Guan Yu's which would free up space for other officers. If you agree that expanding officers is the most important we can discuss some of the details about how to handle different chapters more.

I agree, this would be of the greatest benefit. It would also make the game a LOT more like you're in the ROTK period rather than just bashing it out with "Rebel" and "Bandit" forces all of the time. It would be a lot better and easier to keep track of officers, unless you had an expanded portion of DOAEditor that looked like the profiles section for EVERY officer!!

Speaking of which, the latest DOAEditor I read resolved an issue with portraits. Does this open up another bank that was unusable? Currently I believe the last bank is 6c810, has that changed?

On an unrelated note I'm still watching the Three Kingdoms series (2010) on youtube. I'm up to episode 56. You should start watching it! It will definitely give you some ideas for your mod. Here's the full episode list:

Got it. Will check it out.
Last edited by sonic.penguin on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes it's possible and I've thought of that before. That said, I'm almost afraid to mess with anything since everything seems pretty stable right now.

Yeah, I know what you mean :lol:
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Fri May 08, 2015 11:56 am

A necessary DOAEditor fix:

The cave exits are not being moved. In some cases, certain caves have 2 exits as well. These are a pain in the behind to search for in the mod. Exit facings need to be manually set, but is not the biggest deal as is exiting in the wrong part of the map.

Also found a bug, but not sure how it started. Use Recover and you'll see it subtracts soldiers from Pang De :P
HOC.fc1

Also, using Gullwing tactic totally borks up the rom:
HOC.fc2
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue May 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Here is a major upgrade request. Increase the number of boss battles?
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Boneduke » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello,

I've been working on a DOAE mod for about the past 8 months and very excited that most of the storyline, map modification etc is getting finished (Destiny of an Editor is fantastic!).

But I ran into a problem last week that's had me stumped since - Have searched through the wiki, all the old threads here, gamefaqs, and the LYS forums and can't find a solution...

After the Sima Yi thunder event, the party wakes up in an Inn. Upon exiting the Inn, the group always appears in Jianye (0B1F0A14) and when leaving the city immediately afterwards, the group always appears at the original location of Jianye itself (09100D13).

I want to change both of these behaviors, but can't seem to find any reference in the ROM to either of them. I found, for instance, that when trying to edit the exits for caves I often needed to search for a truncated version of the "mailing address" because the orientation of the party's sprites (all clumped up and facing south, all clumped up and facing west, in a row and facing north) etc was controlled by a slight modification of the hex code... so in that regard I search in the ROM for variants of the Jianye address like A9100D13, but - nothing. Even just 100D13 and I dont find that either.

I also noticed that, when the party dies, you appear back at the current castle and when exiting the city immediately afterwards, you appear at the original location for that castle. I was able to find and adjust those locations in the ROM so that after dying you exit at a relocated castle's location. Confused why I can't figure out how to do the same thing in the case of this special event.

Tdlr; did anyone successfully move Jianye itself, and then after the Sima Yi thunder event was able to adjust the locations where the party appears after exiting the Inn? What I really want to achieve is to have the party appear in a different city (Chengdu) after the thunder event.

thanks!
Boneduke
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods