DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

Re: DOAEditor and Romhacking for Destiny of an Emperor

Unread postby Boneduke » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi Midknight,

Had a couple of random questions if you don't mind!

Went on vacation recently and during the 13 hour fligtht I was playing the Yuan Shao mod. I think this was done by you? I noticed you managed to change the sprite of the "minister" Liu Bei on the throne. I couldnt find any info online about how that was done. Do you still have the details?
Do you know, is it possible to reduce the agility bonus of the Chi Tu ma? I'd like to repurpose the item as a general power up but the current increase is too overpowering. Would like to make it a static boost, or a smaller percentage if possible.
I noticed in other mods (I think, Lu Bu and Wu mods by Sonic Penguin) that it was possible to add an item that granted a bonus attack when in the generals inventory. Do you know how it was done?
Last one - probably difficutl to comment without seeing a save state but - in normal DOAE, if the player tries to enter Shu before they have recruited Zhuge Liang, there is a villager in Zhang Song house who bars them from proceeding. In my mod, that villager is never present in the house. Timeline wise I am doing everything in order, so not sure why that villager isn't appearing. Do you know what event/battle/etc is necessary to trigger the presence of that villager?

As usual, thanks! Any help is appreciated and certainly not expected :)

By the way, I had originally tried to post on the LYS forums, however it doesnt seem possible to register as a new user there. Not sure if the person who runs that forum is aware of it, but just thought I'd mention.
Boneduke
Tyro

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Boneduke wrote:I was playing the Yuan Shao mod. I think this was done by you? I noticed you managed to change the sprite of the "minister" Liu Bei on the throne. I couldnt find any info online about how that was done. Do you still have the details?

There are a couple of ways to do it I think.

1. Change the Liu Bei character's sprite (A6/A8). This is what I did in the mod. So basically just change the spirte for character A6/A8.

or you could possibly...

2. Go to the "Places" tab and change the character in each castle. This way you could potentially have different guys sitting on the throne depending on which town you are in. I haven't done much with that.

Boneduke wrote:Do you know, is it possible to reduce the agility bonus of the Chi Tu ma? I'd like to repurpose the item as a general power up but the current increase is too overpowering. Would like to make it a static boost, or a smaller percentage if possible.

Hmm I don't think we ever dug into the Chi Tu ma effects much but we added agility based attacks with this feature:
http://doaerhguide.wikidot.com/#toc38

One idea is to replace the Chi Tu ma item with something else. We have room for tons of items (extra weapons, etc...)

Boneduke wrote:I noticed in other mods (I think, Lu Bu and Wu mods by Sonic Penguin) that it was possible to add an item that granted a bonus attack when in the generals inventory. Do you know how it was done?

Ya that's this one:
http://doaerhguide.wikidot.com/#toc38

Boneduke wrote:Last one - probably difficutl to comment without seeing a save state but - in normal DOAE, if the player tries to enter Shu before they have recruited Zhuge Liang, there is a villager in Zhang Song house who bars them from proceeding. In my mod, that villager is never present in the house. Timeline wise I am doing everything in order, so not sure why that villager isn't appearing. Do you know what event/battle/etc is necessary to trigger the presence of that villager?

Hmm, just from my knowledge of the original game I think it would be after:

1. Winning the Yuan Shao battle
and
2. Winning the Pang Tong battle

Probably after both of these are done the villager would pop up. Ie...winning battles 1A and 4B. That's just a guesstimate though. Ya I'd need a save state to confirm.
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby Boneduke » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Ah nice - I missed this part, seems easy enough, thanks!

0x55e0-0x55e6 — Bonus Attack Item ID table. These items grant a guaranteed bonus strike.

Strange, I am not having any luck with changing the sprite of the person on the throne. I had tried already the ways you mention, so assumed there was some other trick to it. Not a big deal in any case, I had kind of resolved to my mod just using the default sprite anyway, just happened to notice it in the Yuan Shao mod so figured I'd ask. None of the other mods I've played have managed to change that sprite so perhaps it is a little trickier.

Will spend some more time poking around at the Zhang Song house. In general I am finding that its a little random whether villagers appear at certain locations - originally I had a lot of trouble getting the villager to appear in "Yuan Shu at Luoyang" and then suddenly after making some other changes in my mod, I noticed he started showing up. Seems like there is lots of little triggers going on behind the scenes that arent all covered by an [EVENT-XXXX].
Boneduke
Tyro

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 am

Boneduke wrote:Ah nice - I missed this part, seems easy enough, thanks!

0x55e0-0x55e6 — Bonus Attack Item ID table. These items grant a guaranteed bonus strike.

Strange, I am not having any luck with changing the sprite of the person on the throne. I had tried already the ways you mention, so assumed there was some other trick to it. Not a big deal in any case, I had kind of resolved to my mod just using the default sprite anyway, just happened to notice it in the Yuan Shao mod so figured I'd ask. None of the other mods I've played have managed to change that sprite so perhaps it is a little trickier.

Will spend some more time poking around at the Zhang Song house. In general I am finding that its a little random whether villagers appear at certain locations - originally I had a lot of trouble getting the villager to appear in "Yuan Shu at Luoyang" and then suddenly after making some other changes in my mod, I noticed he started showing up. Seems like there is lots of little triggers going on behind the scenes that arent all covered by an [EVENT-XXXX].

Oh now I remember. I literally replaced the sprite graphics for Liu Bei in the ROM. I think I had trouble finding the reference as well in the ROM so just replaced the graphics. There are instructions for replacing graphics in the ROM hacking guide.

Ya with events there is still a lot of unexplored territory there. I think sonic struggled with some event orders and stuff when he was doing his ROMs. A lot of trial and error if I recall.
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby Boneduke » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Midknight...just sent you a PM with a ROM attached - discovered an issue with broken chests this morning that I was hoping you might have a look at. Its not a big priority, but at the same time I was worried I might have corrupted something in the rom and I'd be better off reverting back to an old backup. Thanks!

Hmmm - spent some more time just now looking at this and maybe something else is going on. I loaded up past versions of my ROM from a week ago, two weeks, a month - and seeing the same problem. Even though I know for sure I wasnt having that issue back then. Maybe its a behavior in the save state/emulator or something. Will do another complete playthrough from the beginning and see if I still have the problem...
Boneduke
Tyro

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Boneduke wrote:Hi Midknight...just sent you a PM with a ROM attached - discovered an issue with broken chests this morning that I was hoping you might have a look at. Its not a big priority, but at the same time I was worried I might have corrupted something in the rom and I'd be better off reverting back to an old backup. Thanks!

Hmmm - spent some more time just now looking at this and maybe something else is going on. I loaded up past versions of my ROM from a week ago, two weeks, a month - and seeing the same problem. Even though I know for sure I wasnt having that issue back then. Maybe its a behavior in the save state/emulator or something. Will do another complete playthrough from the beginning and see if I still have the problem...

I see the issue and it appears that moving treasure chests around is a little more complicated than I thought.

Each treasure chest has a treasure chest ID. The one in the save state is 2A. So it is using that id to look up the address of the treasure chest and it is not matching so it is not finding anything.

In the ROM you have this treasure chest location defined at 0x30924 but it is looking for it at 0x30933 because of the index/lookup value of 23 at 0x3083A. If I copy "0223020905" to 0x30933 then it can find the contents of the chest. But note that the chest in the save state is already marked as opened in $662A in memory. Changing it from "80" to "00" puts the loot back in the chest.

In short, moving treasure chests can be tricky. You have to know your treasure chest ID to set the values correctly. So looks like a future enhancement for DoaEditor would be to be aware of which treasure chest ID we are dealing with when moving things around.

This could be tedious to fix manually depending on how many treasure chests are affected.
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby Boneduke » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Yikes....ok thanks for looking into it. What concerns me a little is that I realized very early on that it isn't possible to move treasure chests (they always show "nothing found" despite moving the treasure item via DOAE). So I didn't directly move any chests in my mod. Just left them where they were and modified cave graphics around them. Worried something else I did is what caused the

chest location defined at 0x30924 but it is looking for it at 0x30933

So i wonder how they got affected in the first place. In general I always disliked caves in DOAE (seemed so bizarre, to run into an army 25,000 deep in a cave lol), so I downplayed the use of them in my mod anyway. But I have a few items that are necessary to advance the storyline and found in cave chests. Will keep an eye on it for now...

Interestingly I assumed it had something to do with how the game rendered the closed vs. open treasure chest graphic. I also found it interesting that pretty much any other event that causing a change to the onscreen graphics (e.g. when you unlock a door such as in the dungeon at Fushui, or talk to the guy in the cave behind Qingzhou who builds the bridge for you), it rewrites the entire zone of graphics, rather than just the tile that changes. So I was surprised that opening a treasure chest maintains the surrounding graphics and just updates the chest sprite.

Thanks for taking a look!
Boneduke
Tyro

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm

I'll look into the treasure chest thing further and see if there's an easier way to fix.

I'll also take a look at the DoaEditor code and see how it handles moving chests...
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby Boneduke » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Couple more images...most of my work these days is on weapons, tactics etc - not as exciting!

More cave

White wolf mountain

Battle aftermath

Yet to be named Castle

Tianshui
Boneduke
Tyro

Unread postby wk123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:35 pm

[quote="Boneduke"]Couple more images...most of my work these days is on weapons, tactics etc - not as exciting!

Battle aftermath

That is a nice looking Wei team you got there!
wk123
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods