RoTK 11 PS2 Modding

Use this forum to discuss hex-editing or otherwise altering any Three Kingdoms game, and to promote modded titles and patches.

RoTK 11 PS2 Modding

Unread postby Lezard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:14 pm

That's just a draft of an idea (I haven't even properly tested it yet), but I'll post it anyway ... later I might edit this post.

The process goes more or less like this:
- Extract the disc contents
- Hexedit the bin file containing the scenarios
- Build an ISO with altered content (or burn to a dvd)
- Play on emulator (it's not practical to burn discs whenever you want to play test, besides a non-modded PS2 don't play backups too)

If you put your PS2 disc in your PC you might see the following files:
Copy-Paste them to your HD.

You can open "SAN11RES.BIN" with an hexeditor (like HxD — a free one). You'll see this:
Copy this: "KOEI%SAN11", it's written in the start of every definitions file including scenario files which you want to change (yes each scenario is defined within a file — Yellow Turbans, Dong Zhou's Rise, so on).

Then Ctrl+F (find) to search for the next occurrence of "KOEI%SAN11" (be sure to set your search to text, not hex or dec). Do so again and again until you find one that has "Yellow Turbans" written like in the picture.

Now put the cursor at the start of the scenario file (right before "00 00 FE FF" or "..þÿ" — like: |00 00 FE FF). More about this if your wondering: BOM.

Now Crtl+E (select block) and set "lenght" to "2BBA5", copy-paste it to a new hex file (Crtl+N) and save it somewhere. Do so with the other scenarios (they are right after Y. Turbans one).

Good, now you have the scenarios extracted in your PC. You may want to learn more about editing those files, guide here. And if you like adventure you may want to read this.

Now here is the pack with all scenarios (and THE scenario file — just ignore this file) already extracted from my disc (hope the MD5 matches those of your disc :roll: ). I've also added a folder with "Xsified" versions of the same files, they're just the PS2 scenarios with officers APT, stats, growth and skill changed accordingly to the X series (but they are NOT the X series — just the stats).

So you open "SAN11RES.BIN" with an hexeditor again, paste the altered scenario files over the original (find "KOEI%SAN11", select block of lenght = "2BBA5" and paste) and save.

That's how you mod it.
Emulation and burning are out of scope ... google for it.
Last edited by Lezard on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Re: RoTK 11 PS2 Modding

Unread postby foosoomin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 am

Lezard,

Can you provide the following original video files ?

1) War of Heroes

2) Burning Desire

I would love to have it as a collection too

Possible to upload to dropbox ?
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 pm

I have the PS2 english version, in which those scenarios aren't available.

In fact, I'd be happy as well if I could put my hands in these scenarios and their videos (even youtube versions).
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby foosoomin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 am

oh, i thought you have it in Japanese PUK version
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:15 pm

I have PS2 english and PC PUK japanese.

The War of Heroes at least we have from youtube, but the other is nowhere to be found (are you sure it means "Burning Desire" I thought it was "Chibi Battle").

PS2 三国志11 PK:
these are the normal 6:
187年4月-何进包围上网
191年7月-序制者
198年1月-吕布讨伐战
203年1月-袁家之战
217年7月-汉中争夺战
251年1月-女之战 (好像只能用女角色战斗)
PS2 exclusives:
208年10月 赤壁之战 (Battle of Red Cliff or Chibi Battle — I couldn't find it :( )
251年1月 英雄乱舞 (War of Heroes — we have it in poor quality)

Maybe if you're able to contact Leland Cador, he posts the other video too (maybe he could even extract the scenarios as I did).

I wish you more luck than I had :mrgreen:

EDIT: For anyone interested in the files foosoomin asked they are now available here.
Lezard
Retired Account

Return to Three Kingdoms Game Editing & Mods